Post your external display set up

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bp1000, Aug 16, 2011.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I'm trying to figure out which method to take when using an external display

Would like to see what you guys are doing

I'm thinking of several options,

clamshell mode, with separate keyboard and touchpad

Screen open, desktop extended using laptop keyboard and touchpad

Screen open, laptop elevated on stand with extra keyboard and touchpad

Obviously i would prefer to do without the keyboard and mouse to do without the extra cost but it wouldn't line up with a 24inch screen and perhaps would look bad and not easy to work with.

2. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

i will get back to you tomorrow, according to fedex and ups (got my dell u2311h from ebay and its being shipped via fedex, mini dp to dp cord from amazon shipping via ups)

the dell is adjustable, so i would have it raised just enough to fit my mba 11" under it with the screen open, so i can still use the mba trackpad and keyboard. I saw a video of a kid with the same setup (maybe he had a mbp 13") but he made the video to show that he was using an N64 emulator to play mariokart.

if not, i will go clamshell with wireless apple keyboard and trackpad. its an extra investment, but if you think about it, thats less wear on your mba keys and palm rest area if you consider the resale value down the road.

3. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Will that fit ??

4. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

ill find out tomorrow. haha.

5. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Let us know. Sounds like a great setup. Good luck!

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I got a laptop riser off of Amazon and use it when I'm at my desk. Dell 20" is a very nice add-on to my 11" MBA :)

Attached Files:

7. respectabilia macrumors regular

Bump.

I'm also interested in this setup question.

8. ApplePu macrumors regular

I use my MBA in clamshell mode together with my external 23" display and wireless keyboard/trackpad.....i like :D

(Sorry light conditions are really bad currently)

Attached Files:

• Foto.JPG
      Foto.JPG
      File size:
      493.2 KB
      Views:
  9. respectabilia macrumors regular

[/COLOR]
    Nice, clean and minimal! You have a strikingly similar setup to what I have:

High End 2011 MBA 11 attached to 18.5inch LG monitor in clamshell with external keyboard and trackpad.
    iPad 2 32GB
    iPhone 4 16GB

My question to you is, if you had the choice between a 27-inch Thunderbolt Display for your MBA or the base iMac 21.5 inch instead of an external display (they cost very similar), which would you go for?

10. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

sweet. white samsung monitor? nice.

i have an old beat up 23" Apple cinema display and i put the 11" down in front of it and could see both screens perfectly. and yeah, that way you can use the keys and trackpad of the MBA. you can also set the screen orientation so that one is 'above' the other.

i doubt i'd use this permanently though. i'd probably go clamshell. but who knows.

11. slackie macrumors newbie

Dell u2711. Not so happy with the severe coating.

[​IMG]

12. respectabilia macrumors regular

Monster screen! Do you find it's too big? Any effects on your eyes?

13. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

hmm. that's supposed to be a great monitor. of course, the alternative to the matte coating is the mirror like cinema display. so, both have their compromises.

it can be weird to go back to matte after getting used to glossy or glossy-ish. but sometimes its also like "ahh. no reflections! so easy to look at!"

i always have an abstract, 'down the road' large res monitor in my head, like the ACD 27 or the U2711. don't know which one i'd go with.

i was shopping for an iMac at one point, and one big thing that got in my way was the glossiness. i saw a guy online who just removed the glass cover and used it like that.

14. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

alright sorry it took me forever to get back to you guys.

just received my dell u2311h today and had work so couldn't set it up until tonight. works like a charm, much easier on my eyes.

as for my idea about putting the mba under the screen, it works but you cannot move the screen of the dell down all the way, but close enough. the lip of the monitor stand give the mba a little raise which is nice for typing and trackpad use.

overall. recommended, ill try to post a pic soon.

15. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Please do -- thanks!

16. lanspawlo macrumors newbie

Mind sharing what did you use to set up your MBA in clamshell? :D

17. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

alright so i changed my mind a bit, although it is awkward to work, i am using the dual-display mode. i am getting used to it and i feel this might be my main set up from now on.

i originally had the mba under, but with the keyboard so close, i found myself very close. also i had to be careful with the mini dp -> dp cable being bended too much pressing against the crease of my mba.

hope this helps anyone.

Attached Files:

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'll take a picture of my new-ish setup at work tomorrow and post it.

I'm trying hard to simplify my life, and that includes getting rid of excessive/extraneous computers and displays at both home and the office.

Previously on my little desk at work I had a 24" LG 1920x1200 and two 20" NEC 4:3 displays (1600x1200). The MacBook was connected to the LG and an HP PC (unfortunately necessary for work) was connected to all three. Lots of screen space but mostly wasted.

All I really need is the headless PC under the desk to which I can Remote Desktop into thru my Mac, plus the Mac and a display.

So... got rid of it all, and the current setup is an Apple 20" aluminum Cinema display, the 11" MacBook Air, bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. The PC is hidden in a corner to which I can RDC when necessary.

The amount of free space on my desk all of a sudden is quite jarring. But I think a minimalistic approach is what I need for inner mental health.

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

19. respectabilia macrumors regular

Looking nice. But how do you work with the large screen right of the keyboard and trackpad? I'm assuming you'll have to keep turning your head right?

----------

I like the concept of simplifying and reducing electronic clutter (see a thread I started on this here). I'm also planning, like yourself, to just stick to one high-end 11" MBA Air 2011 and dock it into a large screen monitor (preferably the Thunderbolt Display), thus turning it into a slimmed down iMac of sorts, especially with the Thunderbolt functionality.

20. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My concern WRT the 27" displays on the MacBook Air is smoothness of the UI. That's a lot of pixels for the Intel 3000HD to push. Was going to buy off eBay a 24" cinema but prices are insane (~$600) for a used display. Crazy.

22. Lyndo99 macrumors newbie

i'm gonna be using my mba in clamshell on a 25" hanspree monitor with an external ms keyboard, mouse and the magic trackpad. Haven't had much of an opportunity to test it yet though since i just got the monitor before i left for work for 4 weeks. We'll see how it works out in sept when i get home, i think it should be a pretty sweet setup.

23. ApplePu macrumors regular

Are you asking about the stand?

----------

Can I say no to both options? :D

The 27-inch display is just too big for me, I'm not feeling comfortable, it's just too close on my desk. So generally I would rather go with the 21.5 iMac, but as I don't like to have 2 computers, I would drop that way as well :D

24. respectabilia macrumors regular

As I understand it, it should be fine, especially with the Thunderbolt technology. Apple even advertises the ATD as a companion for the MBA and MBP, and I doubt they'd do that unless it was truly a perfect companion. And apparently, the new MBAs are particularly powerful.

There are a couple of videos of the MBA powering the cinema display on youtube. Here's an example. So I would think it would be even smoother with the Thunderbolt Display.

But of course, the best thing would be to hear from one of the other posters who already have this cinema display set up!

----------

That's a yes/no answer lol! So which would you go out and buy if you had to make the decision tomorrow? Or at least which do you lean towards at the moment?

25. misterneums macrumors 6502

I never thought about it that way...