Post Your Gym/Sports Workout Plan

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hellhammer, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Hellhammer, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I thought it would be interesting to read how sporty other MR members are and what kind of stuff they do :)

Gym workout:

Monday - Chest and biceps

Bench press 5x5
    Incline bench press 5x8
    Flies 5x10

Bicep curls 5x5-8
    Barbell curls 5x10
    Preacher curls 5x10
    Seated bicep curls 5x10
    Hammer curls 5x8

Tuesday - Legs

Squat 6x10
    Leg extensions 5x8-10
    Leg curls 5x8-10
    Calves 6x10-20

Wednesday - Shoulders and triceps

Shoulder press 5x8-10
    Lateral raise 5x10
    Front dumbbell raise 5x10
    Reverse flies 5x10
    Shoulder raise 6x10-15
    Upright rows 5x8

Tricep extensions OR reverse grip bench press 5x10
    Lots of different tricep extensions with cable ~3x5x10
    Overhead tricep extensions 5x10

Thursday - Back

Bent-over rows 6x8-12
    T-bar rows 4x8-12
    Dumbbell rows 6x10-12
    Pull ups 4x8
    Pulldowns 4x8
    Deadlift 5x5

The days are not always like that since it depends on my school and other things. Sometimes I also go to gym one or two times more per week if I have nothing else to do.

Other workout:

Abs 3-4 times a week (I change the exercises so often that I'm not going to list any here)
    Badminton 1-3 times a week
    Jogging, cross-trainer, bicycle etc 1-3 times a week

That's pretty much it. I try to do something everyday. On best days, I workout for 3-4 hours if I have lots of free time (first gym, then abs and then cardio).

NOTE: This is just for fun so please, don't start nitpicking that you do this and that wrong and your workout is useless etc. I've seen things going wrong in so many other forums where people just argue what is "the right way" to exercise. We all have different bodies and preferences, let everyone have their freedom to do what they want to do. If someone asks for advice, then sure but that shall not be the main topic of discussion.

If there is a relatively current thread about this, then please merge this with it :eek:

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

It's a shame that you aren't putting the strength training to a competitive team sport, but again, that;s probably something which would cause arguments if we delve further into it.

Anyway. I had a harsh month with Immigration costs, so couldn't afford to pay my gym dues.

I decided to try the Couch 2 5k programme, only my 2nd session into it, and to be honest, I'm just plain awful at running! I want to improve though, so that;s why I'm trying it. I can walk, cycle or use the elliptical for ages, but coming to running, even with the 60s run/90s walk, I'm a flabby, sweaty heavy breathing red mess! I think it's a combination of me being overweight and not pacing my running well enough. I never really 'got' running as an activity on it's own and only really like the tangible goals that you have in Rugby (hitting a ruck, tackling someone, beating a tackler or scoring a try) and I feel like I tire much more just trying to run than I did on a Rugby field.

Anyway, as the weather seems to be perking up a little, I'm getting my bicycle out for travelling to work, so that will be 30 minutes per work day more help for me.

I also bought some Myoplex diet, meal replacement, which I've been doing this week, it's kind of like Slim fast, but doesn't need Milk and I've been having a real meal in the evenings.

So I'll probably repeat the 1st week of C25K next week and this is going to be my week:

Monday
    Cycle to work (15m)
    Cycle home (15m)
    C25K 20 minutes of 60s jog, 90s walk.

Tuesday
    Cycle to work (15m)
    Cycle home (15m)
    50 Sit ups
    50 press ups

Wednesday
    Cycle to work (15m)
    Cycle home (15m)
    C25K 20 minutes of 60s jog, 90s walk

Thursday
    Cycle to work (15m)
    Cycle home (15m)
    50 Sit ups
    50 Press ups

Friday
    Cycle to work (15m)
    Cycle home (15m)
    C25K 20 minutes of 60s jog, 90s walk

Saturday
    30 minute bike ride
    50 sit ups
    50 press ups

Sunday
    Rest

I have to go to work around this and also find time to sort my possessions out ready for when I get the green light into the USA. I'd also like to get back into playing (or at least training) rugby, but will only do that once I can run 5k (and have lost around 20kg).

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3 days per week:

3 sets of 14 reps and one set of 8 max for all exercises:

bench
    wrist curls
    incline press
    shoulder shrugs
    triceps pulldowns
    seated row
    curls
    dips
    leg extensions
    hamstring curls
    standing calf raises
    leg raises
    back extensions
    leg press

I play floor hockey on the weekends through April 10, then start ice hockey at the end of April.

4. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I used to play floorball but quit about 1.5 years ago. I simply don't like to do sports at certain time. I like to decide when and what I do. Also, school is pretty tough now so I can't even imagine five practice sessions of floorball each week. Let alone 6am wake ups on Sunday mornings to make it to a tournament :eek:

Maybe I was a bit too harsh in the OP. Of course everyone is free to discuss and comment someone else's training and give tips. Maybe I have just spent too much time in bodybuilding forums where people get mad if you train chest and triceps on the same day and other nitpicking :p

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I do a little bit of everything while I'm at the gym. I don't have all my assessments with me now, but I started out with a sheet to find my average lift weight and my maximum and at how many reps. I then did exercises to determine my "health level" for certain activities. Of course I excel at cycling and walking and leg presses (cycling being my main mode of transportation).

Like mentioned before, running is not my strong point. I can only do it in bursts, but having asthma will do that, I'm just happy I can run and cycle at all.

I just joined a new gym down the street from my place, it's a really nice facility that feels like a country club. I met the president of the company last week and was able to work out some business deals with him and the company I work for. He got me set up with a personal trainer next week to better assess my goals and help me along the way. I'll post up my regimen later this week as well as some before/after photos of the first six months of me going to the gym and what I did to achieve it.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Turning 30 in a few months so I wanted to be in better shape. I have always been able to run, so thats what I do for a workout. In April I will start lifting weights two or three times per week. I feel that if you try too much at once, you are really setting yourself up to fail. I started 3 months ago.

I am up to 3.15 miles in 30 minutes. Would like to be able to be doing 30 minutes at under an 8 minute pace. I have been running for 30 minutes 6 days a week, just taking one off for recovery.

Loseit for the iphone has been helpful. Just with portion controls and caloric intake.

7. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Workout plan, diet, and a few pictures

This is my current regimen:

Cardio
    20 minutes fasted in mornings. Heart rate around 130 bpm.

Workout Plan
    Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Back
    Wednesday - Shoulders
    Thursday - Quads and Hams
    Friday - Bis and Tris

The exercises and sets vary depending on how I feel.

Current Diet
    Meal 1: 6oz steak, 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 cup oats
    Meal 2: 8oz chicken, 1 cup white rice, 1 cup asparagus
    Meal 3: 8oz talipia, 8oz white potato
    Meal 4: 2 cans tuna, 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup lettuce
    Meal 5: 50g whey protein, 1 gatorade (post workout)
    Meal 6: 70g whey protein

Few Pictures
    I am currently about 20 weeks out from show so pretty fat still but starting to lean up. Around 16 weeks out, I will begin to really drop fat.

1.png

2.png

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'd love to bulk up a bit more... I'm one of those body types that has a horrible time putting on muscle and am very slightly built. I work out, but have to make do with the athletic ballet-dancer look...

...which is good I do for health not looks :cool:

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Currently, I do

Monday/Wednesday/Friday Upper Body Strength Day:
    3xMax Chin ups, 3x5 Bench, 3x5 Rows, 3x5 Overhead Press, 3x5 Front Raises, 3x5 Lateral Raises

Tuesday/Thursday Lower Body Strength Day:
    3x5 Front Squats, Pyramid Set of Deadlifts (Tuesday) or 3x5 Back Extensions (Thursday), 3x5 Leg Curls, 3x5 Leg Extensions

Mon-Fri: Stair Running
    20 Minutes on Upper Body Strength Days, 15 Minutes on Lower Body Strength Days.

Mon-Thurs: Jiujitsu (although I usually end up missing one day due to scheduling)

Tuesday/Satuday: Dancing.

Probably won't have time for all this after I graduate, but who knows?