Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
here are some of mine:

building.jpg

completeley done in illustrator, using reference photos. Was made to look like an artist did pieces of it at a time, and then put it together with tape and push pins on cork board. Final printed size of this was 55" x 26"

watch.jpg

Another one done from reference photos. Supposed to illustrate a simple object, i chose my watch.

self.jpg

Self Portrait done in complementary colors.

EstateSale.jpg

An illustration done for an article in a magazine.

cary1.jpg

Another done of the editor for the magazine mentioned above.

carryingaload.jpg

done for a different magazine in Texas. Actually if you are an Texas Aggie fan, check out aggielandillustrated.com A friend of mine runs it, so just wanting to help him out.

-JE

andr3s

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2006
i made this for a friends mobile skin (90% in illustrator)

Attachments

• The_Dream_Catcher_by_4ndr35.jpg
    The_Dream_Catcher_by_4ndr35.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 389

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Thanks, i worked really hard on all of those. As far as my way of doing it, If you are talking about how do i "draw" them, i actually start with good old fashion pencil and paper. Then i scan that in, and start building it in Illustrator. I have a wacom tablet, but i only use it for photoshop, and maybe illustrator a couple of times. (EX: the scribbles on the first one). As far as "designing" it, i look through magazines and look at styles and see what i like and what i don't. Inspiration is a great tool for stuff like this. I would never rip-off someone's style for a finished piece, but i do try to replicate things sometimes for practice, just to see how it's done. That is pretty much my way of doing it. I don't know that there is a "good" way to go about it, but i've always started with pencil and paper. It's my best tool.

Thanks again,
-JE

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
here are some of mine:

building.jpg

completeley done in illustrator, using reference photos. Was made to look like an artist did pieces of it at a time, and then put it together with tape and push pins on cork board. Final printed size of this was 55" x 26"

-JE

That one is really amazing!:eek:

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
They do look really good. Do you scan and then apply a live trace?

I'm sorry, i over looked this question. Know, i don't use live trace for anything except....i did live trace the cork board texture...kind of. I live traced a cork board tile, and then duplicated it around to fill up the frame. I think when through and modified each tile so that it wouldn't look like squares.

That is the only thing i've used live trace for other than this flash video http://www.ualr.edu/jrrogers/rogers-thecure.html

I drew some of it too, like the birds, and the fish. The Flowers, the man sitting and the man walking. I really just used live trace for the complex stuff, and the textural stuff.

-JE

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I think I'll just go shoot myself now.

I've just downloaded Illustrator on a 30 day trial and after one (admittedly short) session I can't do a thing!

When I get a chance to get back to it, I'll see if there are any tutorials.

Sob! :(

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
So you all draw something by hand first and then like scan it or something? I am confused as to how you guys can make such a detailed image only using a mouse curser.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
So you all draw something by hand first and then like scan it or something? I am confused as to how you guys can make such a detailed image only using a mouse curser.

Bezier curves, fills… Illustrator is sort of "mechanical" in the way you can adjust and fine-tune your objects with the mouse. I find most ideas come from hand sketches (quicker), whether you scan and trace or not is your choice, although it´s sometimes easier when you have a tracing image, especially if the sketch or photo is complex.

For some quick tutorials check out tutorialized.com.

lartius

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Smog central
Hey! My first MacRumors post!
Here's a drawing of a P-38 I did in Illustrator a while back.
Background and props were done in Photoshop, but everything else is vector.

Attachments

• P-38.jpg
    P-38.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 364

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
Not just cars .... :cool:

This mostly gradient mesh with some blurs and assorted other transparency effects ...

Attachments

• a514.jpg
    a514.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 564

murdock25

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
here's an illustration I created for a vegetarian restaurant.

Attachments

• bunny3.jpg
    bunny3.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 284

prs986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Central CA, USA
I don't consider myself an illustrator, but more of a designer, because I do more logo, layout and design, using other elements to bring the entire piece together. here is some of my work. the first was assignment for my design class. it was to create a granola box, so i took my band's name (timmy kue and the fatherless boys) and made Kue Bars. the second is the logo for a wakeboarding video i'm making for my group of friends. and the third is some work from my actual day job, here at the Pizza Factory corporate office. Hope you guys like!

Attachments

• granola front.jpg
    granola front.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 251
  • trantrum logo.jpg
    trantrum logo.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 4_color_flyer.jpg
    4_color_flyer.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 277
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.