iPad Post your iPad Air/rMini Safari experiences with iOS 8 here

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Charliebird, Sep 17, 2014.

?

Is Safari better with IOS 8 on iPad Air/rMIni?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. Charliebird, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

If you have been suffering through random Safari instability and tab reloading issues on IOS 7.x please post your IO8 experiences here.

Thanks!

2. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I didn't experience tab refresh on an iPad3 with iOS 8 GM, but I just tried once without many apps opened.

3. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

First comments sound promising. I'm still downloading IOS 8 on my rMini. :(

4. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

You can't upload photos on facebook to a group!

5. Angriff macrumors member

I haven't used it extensively yet, but so far in my usage Safari on iOS 8 with iPad Air hasn't really been reloading tabs. It's kind of taking a brief moment for the site to reappear when i click to a tab after a while, which I assume might mean it's taking it out of compressed memory? But it isn't reloading them.

Edit: the test for bloated pages, theverge.com, did force other tabs to reload upon going back to them (i had 5 other tabs open)

6. Really Cool macrumors newbie

ipad air:

- Keyboard does not highlight the keys I press.
    - Safari flickers at launch.

7. G-Ziss macrumors regular

8. iOZZY macrumors member

The bookmarks opening transition isn't very smooth when pressing the bookmarks button.

Also, when pressing the share button (box with arrow) the airdrop icon has two formations, one with a blue background which rapidly changes to white. Also the text position changes.

9. dingdong macrumors regular

dingdong

hmm maybe shouldn't of updated my ipad mini.. :/

10. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Yup, I'm waiting to update my iPad Air. Waiting for the .1 update.

11. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

This really sucks now. You have to tap the top to get your bookmarks bar to show once you've been scrolling. And you can't entirely X out all your tabs. One page must remain active. Wtf? Also I have popups blocked and for the first time ever today I got a screen ad to take over while browsing the site Daily Mail online.

12. abn0038 macrumors newbie

My rMini OTA would be 1.6G but it will not install as I don't have 6.9G free for it to install, how much free space did you have before/after upgrade.

13. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

IOS 8 finally downloaded and completed the install on my rMini. I had 13 GB free when the update installed.

I noticed something interesting off the bat. I had a couple tabs open and I was quickly scrolling through a website that usually gave me problems (Twitter). It held out for a long while and finally a small message appeared at the top saying 'there was a problem and the tab needed to be reloaded'.

14. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

No problems so far on Air or rMini, but I don't care for the new bookmark system either.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

What did they do this time? I haven't upgraded yet.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yes....this one is killing me too. Can't find a way to turn it off either. Meh. :(

17. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was able to get Safari to springboard crash twice last night. I was on si.com zooming in and out to read text and look at pictures. One of the crashes took my rMini back to an Apple logo screen. I wasn't being gentle on it so I'm not sure people would usually replicate the same issues. Still it shouldn't crash at all.

18. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Retina iPad mini running smoothly on iOS 8 here. If anything, performance actually seems better.

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

This really sums it up. I havent had any issue with Safari in iOS 7 or 8 but others have and its not a good thing. I just think Safari is a pig of sorts when it comes to system resources and I dont get why.

20. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

It's been significantly slower than iOS 7. So I've just switched Chrome. Other than slow safari, I love most everything in iOS 8.

21. Bigbadduke macrumors newbie

Why does bookmark bar stay open after selecting a favorite?

I am extremely frustrated with Safari in iOS 8 on my iPad Air. Why does the bookmark bar stay open after selecting a favorite? Who leaves their bookmarks open all the time? Apple brags about full screen view then takes away a quarter of the screen by leaving the bookmark bar open. Yes, I know I can hit the button again to hide it but this is totally unnecessary. Did they hire a Windows 8 designer?

22. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Once you hit the bookmark symbol the book mark section stays open until you hit it again. I usually use my iPad in landscape, but this morning when I used the bookmark in portrait mode it closed on it's own when the site opened like it did in iOS 7. Problem for me is I prefer landscape and having to close the bookmark bar each time is a nuisance.
    I haven't used iOS 8 extensively or explored it's new features, but in general it is smooth for me and seems snappier.

23. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

No kidding. It's painfully slow on my rMini. What did Apple do to us?

24. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I'm not having any issues whatsoever in iOS 8 on my retina iPad mini. In fact, Safari is working far better for me than it did in iOS 7.

25. 1k9, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

1k9 macrumors member

Safari has locked up quite a few times where I have to reboot my iPad air.

Facebook has had black screen on occasion and is very slow to load.

I was considering doing a clean install, but if I did that I was worried about having any issues with my cellular sim card since I went from Verizon to T-Mobile.
    Or will that not really matter.