Post your iPhone X first impressions!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsmith189, Nov 3, 2017.

1. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

Now that a bunch of people have their phones, and the rest are being packed into trucks for delivery, rather than having 500 threads of individual opinions I’d love to hear everyone’s first impressions! :)

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Good idea! I like threads like these. I will let you know my first impressions when I get the phone in my hands in a couple of hours.

3. jsmith189, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 68000

jsmith189

- It’s definitely weighty, even coming from the 7 Plus. But not uncomfortably so.
    - The screen is stunning. Putting it up to my 7 Plus is completely night and day. And True Tone definitely contributes a lot to that.
    - It feels great in the hand, and no where near as slippery as I thought it was going to be.
    - I don’t think I’ve noticed the notch once, unless I’m specifically pulling attention to it. The reviewers were right, it definitely just fades away.
    - It feels like there’s a lot of wasted space - especially when using the keyboard. I get why a keyboard at the very bottom wouldn’t work, it’d likely feel unnatural to hold such a tall device at the very bottom, but I think a lot of iOS tweaks will be needed to make it feel a little less... spaced out?
    - Face ID is working near flawlessly. I’ve only had one fail so far. I can see them speeding it up in future - I swipe up as soon as I can and the unlock happens in the swiping animation, but there are times where there’s like a 1/4 second pause as it scans my face. Not a problem, but room for improvement.
    - The viewing angle isn’t anywhere near as bad as I was thinking. You can definitely notice it, but it’s not a dealbreaker by any means.
    - I’m ashamed at how much fun I’m having with Animoji.
    - I was used to not having a home button within an hour of using the phone. Only time I reach down there now is when I know Touch ID is meant to pop up - but Face ID just automatically unlocks so that’s fun.
    - Definitely a fingerprint magnet. Lol. (Silver model)
    - I’m very glad they included reachability, but that’s probably the one gesture I’m going to have to get used to. Takes at least two attempts each time, just because of the space and action set for it. Feels clumsy.

4. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

Space gray model?

5. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 68000

jsmith189

Silver! Sorry, probably should have mentioned that.

6. nathorpe macrumors newbie

nathorpe

Love the screen size and love the weight. It makes my old 6 feel and look like a toy phone. As above, there are some weird spacing choices in the UI - keyboard looks odd but is absolutely in the right location for typing. I’m not sold on TrueTone - I thought I’d love it, but in reality it just makes me feel like I’ve got Night Shift on all the time. Screen resolution is fantastic - I cannot see a single pixel on this display. There is definite blue shift off angle, but I wonder if it’s more pronounced when TrueTone is making everything more articifically yellow.

7. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 68000

jsmith189

I was having a similar line of thought with the angles - I felt like when at an angle, the display was just back to “normal” - ie, what it would be if True Tone were disabled. That’s why I don’t really have a problem with it haha.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Updated the title, so people searching this thread will come up for those searching iPhone X

9. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Screen changes colour temp with a slight angle move yellow tint straight looking then slight move goes blue it’s bad

10. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

You are positing this in multiple threads, but your posting history suggests you don’t even have one. You’ve yet to provide any proof that you do.

11. jahin17 macrumors 6502

jahin17

Man this phone is beautiful. Torn whether I should’ve got space grey or silver this but SG does look amazing imo.

12. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 68000

jsmith189

Wait, me?

13. Aussi3 Suspended

Aussi3

307B6F28-D9A5-4A8F-B57C-9C0C6D6218BD.jpeg Love it!!! Absolutely love it!!! :) space grey is amazing colour silver looks nice too but glad I got space grey

14. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Appreciate you calling him out. Happens too often. Not even sure what the motive is.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    They both look amazing. I got both, but I am leaning towards space gray. Great picture.

15. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Provide us with photos of what you mean please. If you really have an iPhone X. Pardon me for not believing you but is just too many people with agenda around here.

16. MH01 Suspended

MH01

He has. And you are following him on each thread claiming he does not. Do you have one ?

17. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 68000

jsmith189

Photos of what, exactly?

18. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Come on . This is getting ridiculous. Agendas go both ways.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    Black looks to sexy, like the iPhone 4. Mines waiting in a pick up location as I fly back tonight

19. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

People are posting that the color shifting is really terrible and ruins the phone. Some would like to see a picture of what they mean.

20. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Photos of the iPhone X he claims he have with the issue he is talking about.

21. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 68000

jsmith189

Definitely not terrible, and definitely doesn’t ruin the phone at all. You can see it, but it’s not bothersome. To me at least. It’s hard to capture with a camera that auto adjusts, but you can kinda see it here.

Both images should be on here. Were too big to upload.

http://imgur.com/gallery/hRYNs

22. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Thanks, I'll have to check it out when I receive mine. From your pictures though, I wouldn't notice it at all.

23. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 68000

jsmith189

https://streamable.com/8towt

Short video of it here, if it helps. Again hard to see, and not at all a problem. But it is present.

Didn’t realise we needed to have receipts, emails, credit card statements and birth certificate extracts to prove we had a phone on its release day lol.

24. vask macrumors member

Unfortunately seeing uneven tint on yours (viewing straight on) with pink on upper 2/3s of screen and more of a green on bottom 1/3 (particularly bottom rows of keyboard). Uneven tint is the worst when it comes to displays. I hoped at £1000 apple would improve qa on the displays, especially on the very first phone bragging about OLED.

25. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Thanks, appreciate the video. I really don't notice it at all so I am happy about that. Screen looks great from everything I've seen.