Post your Live Photo watch face!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Recognition, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

Now that the iPhone 6S and 6S plus is out, Live Photos can be taken with them and synced to your watch photo album for a Live Photo watch face.
    This could lead to some really really creative and individual 'Live' watch faces!

Share your creations here!

2. Recognition thread starter macrumors 6502

Recognition

Here's my quick attempt with the wife's 6S and my son :)
    (Sorry for the poor quality, not at home at the moment)

3. LastLine macrumors 65816

4. Recognition thread starter macrumors 6502

Recognition

Once you have a Live Photo in your iPhone camera roll, add it to the album you have synced with your watch.
    Go to your watch and open the photo album, the Live Photo should show up after a few seconds.
    You'll know it's a live photo because it live have the circular logo in the bottom right corner.
    Force touch the photo to get the 'create watch face' option an there you go!

When you raise you wrist or turn the screen on the Live Photo should start playing. :)

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Does anybody know if the Live Photo watch face is using the same resolution and frame rate as the Motion wallpapers?

6. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Doesn't appear to be... not even close, actually.

7. Recognition thread starter macrumors 6502

Recognition

Apparently it's 15fps but it seems like even less in reality!
    I think it appears that you only see the 1.5 seconds and then it stops on the 'key frame' but doesn't show the last 1.5 seconds?

I think the trick to get a good Live Photo is to have the phone totally stable and the subject only slightly move. Any large movements just blur or look jerky.

8. digduggler macrumors regular

Just noticed you don't get to see the last 1.5 seconds post photo on a live photo watch face - slight bummer. Not sure why they took that route.

9. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

Not impressed with this feature at all. The animation stutters and it doesn't play the full length.

10. LastLine macrumors 65816

I suppose it's to do with the fact that your 'in focus' element is the photo in the middle of the 1.5 seconds either side, who wants that out of focus bit at the end as the watch face...

I mean I totally understand what you're saying, and agree, but still...

11. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The motion bits of Live Photos are only 15fps, so of course it's going to stutter if you're taking a photo of something moving fairly quickly. It's more to just get a sense of motion around when the image was taken and less about getting full smooth motion.

My guess though is that Live Photos in next years iPhone 7 will get a bump to 30fps.

12. digduggler macrumors regular

I've actually seen it play all the way through once or twice on a fast swap back to the face, but I have no idea how I triggered it.

13. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

You're probably right about that ... I would think the goal would be to make it identical to the Motion wallpaper clock faces now, with apps that will allow customers to eventually create their own motion wallpapers.

14. Camato macrumors member

Is it possible to turn a GIF into a Live Wallpaper-Format and use it as an animated WatchFace? Would be awesome :eek:

But.. before that, can I upload someones LivePhoto (I downloaded before to my PC) to my own iCloud Photos? (I think its 2 Files, one .jpg and one .mov?)

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Here's something interesting. I went to the Apple store the other day and air dropped a live photo from the 6S (demo photo) to my 6+. Although the 6+ doesn't have force touch when I press and hold the photo does animate. I thought ok, let me sync it to my Apple watch. The photo as a wallpaper on the Apple watch doesn't work.

16. Camato macrumors member

curious. So I must have an iPhone 6S to sync a Live-Photo to my Watch and use it as Wallpaper?

Did someone manage it to use a Live Photo as Wallpaper on an AW paired to an iPhone 6 (or older)?

17. Recognition thread starter macrumors 6502

Recognition

Yes me!
    I have 6 plus.
    My wife has a 6s.
    Airdropped a Live Photo to my 6 plus, put it in my synced album to my Apple Watch and saved it as a watch face (the one in the video at the top!)
    Seems to work with other Live Photos she sends me.

Are you on ios9 on your iPhone 6?

18. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Loving this feature.

FYI you can watch the whole animation if you hold your finger on the screen.

19. Recognition thread starter macrumors 6502

Recognition

I'm trying to do that at the mo!
    Downloaded a Live Photo to my Mac using Image Capture so I can see both files, but I don't think there's a way to send them back to an iOS device as a Live Photo?
    Will keep trying!

20. digduggler macrumors regular

Ah! That's what I did! Thanks, I've been racking my brain...