Post your Mac'd Entertainment Center!!!!

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by MBM007, Aug 4, 2007.

1. MBM007 macrumors regular

Just Curious how you guys are incorporating your Macs into your setups???
    Mine is currently being powered by my 12in PowerBook G4(last revision)....I'm looking for a good way to stream video from my MacBook Pro in my office, any suggestions???

Attached Files:

2. MBM007 thread starter macrumors regular

A few more!!!

!!!!

Attached Files:

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Just standard Quicktime video, or something special?

4. ill0gical0ne macrumors 6502

Haven't really done much with it yet, as I'm moving in two weeks...

But here it goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now, my tv is being powered by my MacBook, but I'm planning on buying a Mac Mini sometime soon.

5. MBM007 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to be able to stream .avi, .mkv, and .mp4.....any ideas???

6. xaphan macrumors newbie

7. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

[​IMG][/IMG]

This was my old system - if i get a MBP i may hook it up but now I've got :apple:TV which does pretty much what i ask of it - bar no UK iTunes:mad:

Very poor photo quality but playing CSS on 42" was wicked, i had the sound going through an amp on virtual 5.1 - t'was good times.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. jlanuez macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

When you say 'an amp', you don't mean a guitar or bass amp? If so, this would completely wipe out any possibility of virtual 5.1 working, as it relies on two speakers being available.

Either way, proper stereo > virtual 5.1.

10. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Amp = AV Receiver.

11. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Wow, these are some very interesting set-ups.

12. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

I guess this would be my entertainment center. Still dont have a proper TV...waiting to afford a 50" HD plasma but I have to wait.... For now my music does me fine :)

[​IMG]

13. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Dude that's a sweet setup, but you really aught to get a really good source. That Yamaha isn't going to be producing a particularly great sound, while the rest of your kit isn't that bad at all. In fact, those speakers are really pretty fantastic, and you've matched the power amp well. The Rotel is also a great piece of kit...

14. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Thanks dude :) The speakers are really nice sounding and I do love all the stuff I have. The CD player I have not touched in ages :) All my music comes streamed from my server to my Squeezebox device. I ripped all my CD's and converted them to FLAC lossless which the Squeezebox supports.

Anyone want a really really cheap Yamaha CD player ? :)

15. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Fair enough, but Apple Lossless would be better. Takes up less space, sounds just the same.

As for the actual playing side of things, getting a decent DAC connected to that Squeezebox would really, really improve the sound...

16. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Really it does make that much difference? I know I read that the squeezebox uses a Burr brown DAC and from what I read its pretty decent but I dont know if there are different grades. I think most DACs are pretty pricey too. I'm just a poor IT guy :)

17. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, it would make a difference. It would sound less 'wooden' and more musical. If you're happy with it atm though, there's no need to change it.

I would convert your music to Apple Lossless though. It's as it says, lossless. Just uses some clever algorithms to combine similar bits of the data into one etc. Like the difference between a BMP and a PNG.

18. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Thing is that my main computer is a windows based machine and my server is a win2k server box. I dont use itunes on my PC and I believe if I want to use Apple lossless I have to install itunes on my server and have it handle the library. Slimserver will be reading the content from itunes then. Dont wanna really go through that. Plus my server has a pair of 250GB mirrored SATA drives just for music so I have tons of free space still. Dont think I'm filling it in this lifetime.

19. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Did you even read his post???

He said that his library is in FLAC right now, you know, Free Lossless Audio Codec?

20. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Relax, he read it. Otherwise he wouldn't be telling him why to use Apple Lossless instead of FLAC, you know, Free Lossless Audio Codec.:rolleyes:;)

21. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

[​IMG]

I have recently added an Xbox 360 Elite and planning on adding Mac Mini pretty soon.

22. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Go re-read his last post, he is comparing it to PNG & BMP, which is like comparing FLAC or ALAC to WAV. If it is already in one lossless format, there is no benefit at all to move to a different lossless format.

23. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i dont know how you guys can put a 30" screen right infront of your face and connect it to a computer!? i would lose my eyes..
    if i ever get a 30" screen it would be just a TV :rolleyes:

24. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

My dorm setup.

I cleaned up the wires after the picture was taken. The movies belong to my roommate.
    [​IMG]

25. David Aames macrumors member

Just moved in to our new place (hence the lack of art). The important things are all set up though.

View from kitchen:

[​IMG]

Hallway View:

[​IMG]

From coffee table:

[​IMG]

Devices:

TV: Sharp 37" Aquos (very small - getting a 46" hopefully soon)
    Sound - Bose Acoustamas (Yeah yeah Bose sucks, is too expenseive, blah blah)
    Top Left - Bell HD PVR
    Bottom Left - Harmon Kardon Amp
    Top Right - Sony Blu-Ray Player
    Bottom Right - Apple TV + XBox360+HD DVD Player
    DVI to HDMI for hooking up my Macbook Pro behind the unit

[​IMG]