Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
Yes this is how stupid i am. the front wheel feel off. funny init! am pretty concussed, lol was about 1-2 hours ago now.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 117

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
Badluck, hope it heals up fast. I ran into a tree playing football and got knocked out, you will have headaches. Carry advil lol

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
lol. i was out cold apparently. sore now like. will heal fast. this has happened all too often

brax.j

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Back when I played rugby I got elbowed in the face and stepped on I ended up breaking my nose and partially got my ear ripped off people say it was pretty bad looking. I don't remember it happening but I do remember pain afterwords and get better.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No pictures but back when I was 8 or so on a caravan holiday in Wales (Conwy if you want :)), after the parks gates were shut and cars weren't on the camp sites road I thought I'd speed down it on my bike. Hit a rock whilst at terminal velocity, crashed, rolled, slid. Massive bump on my head but no blood (just about the only time I bashed my head without blood!).

Been scared of going fast ever since :eek:

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I broke my jaw and shattered four teeth in a biking accident once.

So... naw. I'm not impressed. :p

Feel better soon!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Though this did not happen to me I witnessed a really dumb accident.

When I was a kid my buddy was going downhill and only hit the front brake on his mountain bike. Well the rear wheel popped up a little bit and he thought this was pretty cool...

Well then the brilliant idea popped into his head that if he went really fast and hit the brake really hard he could get the rear wheel to pop up much higher. As you can imagine his hypothesis was quite correct.

He proceeded to go further go up the hill and really let loose. As he rapidly approached he gave that front brake all the strength he could muster. At which point the rear end with him quickly arced through the air. As he went face first towards the ground he somehow managed to save his head from hitting the ground by stopping the fall with his hands in a push up position, briefly anyways. A moment later the bike finished its flip by hitting him in the back of the head forcing his face into the asphalt.

He never tried that trick again.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
No picture, but I've got a pretty noticable dent in my left shin from when my foot slipped on the pedals and I grated my shin down the metal grip bits of the pedal (DMR V8 pedals). Quite cool though, you can run your finger along my shin and feel it go in pretty far. Invested in some shin+knee guards after that.

Also, I watched a guy land a jump, go wonky and crash head first into a tree. He was wearing a full-face helemt luckily, but still hit his head pretty hard. 3 hours later he started throwing up all over the place.....

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Though this did not happen to me I witnessed a really dumb accident.

When I was a kid my buddy was going downhill and only hit the front brake on his mountain bike. Well the rear wheel popped up a little bit and he thought this was pretty cool...

Well then the brilliant idea popped into his head that if he went really fast and hit the brake really hard he could get the rear wheel to pop up much higher. As you can imagine his hypothesis was quite correct.

He proceeded to go further go up the hill and really let loose. As he rapidly approached he gave that front brake all the strength he could muster. At which point the rear end with him quickly arced through the air. As he went face first towards the ground he somehow managed to save his head from hitting the ground by stopping the fall with his hands in a push up position, briefly anyways. A moment later the bike finished its flip by hitting him in the back of the head forcing his face into the asphalt.

He never tried that trick again.

Hmm, can relate - was cycling right next to Blackpool Sands beach
(going towards Dartmouth if you know it)
going down a 12% twisting road and got a bit too much speed up, then realized the bottom corner was a 90 degree right turn, with a pointed (jagged sharp stone finished) 4 foot wall at the end of the downhill part, with a good few feet drop to a stony brook behind it. Used the back brake, the backend slid out, switched to front brakes, and to the bemusment of the cars behind me, proceeded to go down the latter half of the hill on my front wheel, before going over the handlebars and hitting the wall - all the more fun for being in BB cleats to the pedals at the time. One broken bone and a trip to Dartmouth casualty later...

Sympathy for the OP - had a friend lose his front wheel. fork dug in, he went flying. Better than a full force impact to the nuts though...

Spares

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
Coulda gone worse, one of my biking buddies is in a wheelchair from a mountain biking accident. Chain hopped while crank-kicking off the top of a wall, face first over the handlebars. Needless to say my bike has been collecting dust since (over 4 years ago)

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
Coulda gone worse, one of my biking buddies is in a wheelchair from a mountain biking accident. Chain hopped while crank-kicking off the top of a wall, face first over the handlebars. Needless to say my bike has been collecting dust since (over 4 years ago)

Ouch. Feel sorry for him. That's pretty rare.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
No picture, but I've got a pretty noticable dent in my left shin from when my foot slipped on the pedals and I grated my shin down the metal grip bits of the pedal (DMR V8 pedals). Quite cool though, you can run your finger along my shin and feel it go in pretty far. Invested in some shin+knee guards after that.

Also, I watched a guy land a jump, go wonky and crash head first into a tree. He was wearing a full-face helemt luckily, but still hit his head pretty hard. 3 hours later he started throwing up all over the place.....
I hope he's okay. I've been told that vomiting after serious head trauma can be a bad sign. Things like skull fractures can be apparent.

I'm more of a skating person. I used to dirtbike, but when I was 10, I was in a race (one of those cool ones for little kids). While in the air, another kid slammed into me, and my leg got stuck between the two interlocked bikes, which the foot petal thing (don't know the proper name) got stuck in my rear wheel. I fell a few feet, maybe 2 or 3, but I broke my femur, along with one rib, and my right arm. Because I already have a really bad hip (something I was born with), my instinct tells me to stick to letting my dog pull me on skates.

Scotty1987

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Australia
most stupid mountain biking accident

I was out by myself in an area i wasn't familiar with. went flat knacker down a steep hill and hit something at speed. I got thrown over the handlebars and went flying down the hillside. when i hit the ground i rolled a few times and ended up stuck headfirst in a hole beneath an uprooted tree, in thick bushland that they had started developing for housing. i was pinned by the tangle of dead tree roots and couldn't free myself.my legs and half my butt were the only parts of me visible from the bike track and i was stuck there for two hours yelling for help.eventually two men out walking their dogs saw me and came to my rescue. my bike landed about 100 metres away and was pretty banged up. i broke my collar bone, fractured my pelvis & and was badly bruised but at least i was rescued. I coudnt have got out without help and in the struggle to get free i made my injuries worse then they would have been if i had just calmed down and tried to back out nice & easy. I was in a lot of pain and felt very embarrased during my rehabilitation when i spoke about it.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Nothing too serious ever happened to me, only time I took a hard fall I was riding fast on a bike trail and as I was going over a hill there was an orange construction net that was not tightened down and blew over far enough from a gust of wind to catch the right side of the handlebar. It instantly whipped the front wheel hard right, the bike immediately fell hard left and I skidded forward a few feet on the palms of my hands. I was wearing thick padded cycling gloves though, so I only ended up with some bruises and a sore ankle (left foot stayed under the bike during the fall).

Sorry no pics, this happened over 17 years ago. I wish I could remember the bike I had, it was a Mongoose but I don't recall the model. I could lift that thing with my pinky it was so light. It was stolen in High School. :mad:

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
[...] I've been told that vomiting after serious head trauma can be a bad sign. [...]

I heard this too, but it has happened to me a couple years ago after I fell on my head while doing pogo stick. I had tried to go as high as I could. The foot slipped on the landing, and my head hit the ground hard enough for me to pass out for a couple of seconds (long enough for the whole class to come around me, because it was in physical education class).

As far as I know I have no sequels except a scar under my left eye, caused by my glasses cutting the skin. I could really have lost an eye. :eek:

As for mountain bike, I never really hurt myself a lot while riding in trails. The worst that has happened was when I was learning wheelies. I fell on the side, so I tried to absorb the shock with my arm. The forearm didn't break but it has hurt for at least a week.

unid

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Traffic_island_bay
No picture, but I've got a pretty noticable dent in my left shin from when my foot slipped on the pedals and I grated my shin down the metal grip bits of the pedal (DMR V8 pedals)...

I have the same pedals and the same scar/dent in my shin, I still love them though.

My worst bike accidents involve cycling into walls. The first time I was 16 cycling home from a friends house in cornwall at dusk without lights, downhill into a heavily wooded area. I woke up in Treliske hospital 19 hours or so later, still not sure exactly what happened. I like to the think the bounds of my stupidity are contracting but...

OP hope your healed up, and back out riding.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Hairline fracture on my tailbone. Was going down a trail that wasn't properly maintained over the winter, and front wheel got wedged after doing a jump.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
I forgot about this thread. That accident was a long time ago now. Not a scare, I was impressed. And it was practically healed the week after.
However after putting new wheels, breaks and nuts on that bike. I sold it and bought a new one. I didn't trust it down another dirt track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.