Post Your Perfect MacBooks!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Locker, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Locker macrumors 6502

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread which showcased the 'perfect' MacBooks that exist out there. Not only would it be great to see that Apple are still making fantastic machines, but it would give hope to those thinking of buying one and to those waiting for replacements (like me).

So, post your perfectly aligned function keys, beautifully snug battery cover and dare I say it - beautiful screen! Go...

2. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I got my Macbook yesterday, and I have to say it is perfect in every way. All the keys seem flat, screen is perfect, battery cover is flush, no dead pixels (that I have noticed). It is a 2.4 with 4GB RAM.

I have had one problem. I have purchased a 320GB Western Digital 7200RPM hard drive to replace the stock drive with. I plan to use the stock drive as backup. I bought a cheap set of screwdrivers, and today I opened my Macbook to change the drive. However, I couldn't unscrew the screw that holds the harddrive in place. No matter what I did, the bloody thing wouldn't budge. I don't want to strip the screw, so I didn't exert too much force. I'm not very sure what to do now, as I don't want to transfer all my data to the stock drive, only to have to transfer it again to the new one. :confused: But I can't wait to start using my new Macbook.

3. LFC.SL macrumors member

4. richorlin macrumors regular

RE: Perfect Macbooks

There's your problem. You bought a cheap set of screwdrivers. The screw is a little tight, but with a decent screwdriver - something with a long shaft and larger handle for leverage - you should be able to exert enough pressure without stripping the screw. I was able to do it using a set of good-quality jeweler's screwdrivers. If you don't want to buy the whole set, go to Sears or Ace hardware and buy a big-ass screw driver with a small head on it. You'll also need a torx screwdriver to remove the mounting screws, or you can use a small needle-nose pliers to loosen them.

5. tiartrop macrumors regular

My macbook is perfect (by perfect I mean it hasn't severely suffered the symptoms people said in this forum) except this problem too.

I ended up taking it back to the reseller store and had the screw removed from me... I think he drilled it and completely stripped it too (and originally he wanted to charge $75 service fee). I need a replacement now. Called Apple and they referred me back to the store that I had my screw removed, what the heck... So I called Apple store (there's one in my city but it's kinda far from where I live) and they told me to make an appointment with a genius; haven't done that since I'm rather occupied until the end of this month.

So if you don't want to risk stripping the screw, my suggestion is take it to Apple store if there's one in your area.

6. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

My macbook is perfect. I don't know exactly what to say about it...it doesn't have any of the defects! Yay!? :D

7. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone provide photos of their keys, battery cases etc. - being perfect. I'm sure it would be encouraging for a lot of folk.

8. Halon X macrumors regular

I've purchased 2 MacBooks and an MacBookPro, all have been perfect.

2 were purchased at the Apple Store, one online via Apple's website.

9. Halon X macrumors regular

Why? So we've got a thread full of the same pictures of the same laptop?

It's sort of like unboxing photo's! Once you've seen one, you've seen them all! I've never understood the need or desire!

10. mcewanmac macrumors newbie

The Macbook is perfect

I have a MBP and a MB. They are both perfect.

For the record, the screens are virtually identical.

11. richardsim7 macrumors regular

richardsim7

12. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

here is my perfect one (the upgraded specs in my sig)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Same! I used pliers after trying a hundrerd screws lol!
    Pliers are easy, twist it a little, then use your fingers.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

post pictures of a perfect macbook? kinda dumb. if you want pics of a perfect macbook, they're plastered all over apple.com.

15. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

I was more thinking of photos of the area which people are having problems with. Mainly the keys and battery case. From angles which show they're correct... it would be nicely encouraging for me and a few others I imagine.

16. Halon X macrumors regular

So the words of people expressing their satisfaction are not enough?

How many pictures will it take for you to feel encouraged?

Everyone knows what a perfectly good laptop should look like, there is no point in posting pictures of it this!

17. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I just haven't seen a shot of the keys being straight, yet lots of people are saying "I've just been to my local Apple store and all of the display ones were wonky" - anyone want to put an end to that?

18. pratap21 macrumors member

Mine is pretty perfect too.. After the screen calibrations its good.

19. ManuelGnR macrumors regular

Hey, let this dude having his fun watching MacBooks that are okay. I don't really feel the same way, but I totally understand his point, so, what's the problem?

I like watching pictures of brand new MacBooks like in ''unpacking'', they look awesome, but more ''in real'' than on apple.com :) Kind of weird too, so what? :p

20. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I can't wait to get my macbook this Christmas! I'm getting the 2.4 with ssd! Woo hoo, bye bye iBook!!!:D

21. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

i love my macbook!

new aluminium!
    2.4ghz, originally 2gb ram, upgraded today to 4gb :D, 250gb 5400rpm hdd :)

came in perfect condition! so far thers only a tiny scratch on the aluminium part with the apple logo. and a tiny dent where u open the magnetic latch thingy :$ but no biggy! still looks amazing!

screens a magnet for finger prints, just don't touch it and you'll be fine! awfully reflective ! but i don't mind, still would be nice for a matte option :) but i don't really mind!

keeeys are nice! look a tiny bit slanted, but doesn't bother me at all!, nice when they light up!, i think my keys are starting to fade! hmmm. not had it two weeks!

battery cover is a biiiiiit loose when battery is inside, but doesn't bother me at all either! battery life is goood! (im coming from vista laptops) long long long life :)

i just love my macbook! tiny drawbacks, but this machine does it for me :) and thats all that matters :)

22. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I've had my new aluminum 2.4 GHz MacBook for 2 weeks now, and I think it's perfect in terms of comparing it to the previous generation MacBook that I bought last year (White, 2.0 GHz). I can overlook the subtle flaws such as the screen and the keyboard because, frankly, the previous generation had it's own share of major flaws. Here's a breakdown of what I love about my new one after using the previous gen for over a year:

- The body is much more rigid; it'll be hard to dent this thing--especially the keyboard palmrest area. The old White MacBook had a plastic palmrest so it would bend a lot and felt very flimsy. Also the aluminum palmrest is less likely to get "stained" like the older white one from your oil and sweat, so there's less maintenance to deal with.

- They fixed the caps lock key on the new MacBook where if you accidently hit it, it won't light up. You actually have to hold the caps lock key down for about 1 second to activate it (as opposed to half a second). This is useful because I always accidently hit it when I meant to hit the Tab key to switch fields (like to a password field) and realize that I can't log in because my password was all caps! Very frustrating! But Apple thought ahead and fixed this for people like me :)

- The speakers are MUCH louder than the older MacBook. I have the volume currently set at 30% because at 50%, it's equivalent to 100% (or max) volume on the old White MacBook. Also the sound is much more crisp and clear.

- The laptop in general runs VERY quiet and cool... the old one, whenever I'd just goto youtube, the fans would kick in and the CPU jumped to 90%. It got very loud and hot to the touch where the palmrest was (and the bottom of the case too, around the CPU area). The new one is so much different... it does not get hot, but warm to the touch and only at the bottom. The palmrest area is still stone cold. I have yet to hear the fans kick in on this new MacBook--the loudest component is the optical drive if that says anything! I usually have about 9-10 apps running on a daily basis.

- The new battery reading on the side is very handy, although I rarely used on the old MacBook (the indicator was on the bottom though for the older model). But it's good to know that it's now easily accessible.

- The trackpad -- my GOD it's so wonderful. If you haven't touched one yet at an Apple Store, I will describe it the best way I can. It feels like gliding your fingers across silk. It's a real pleasure to use too. And the non-button is not even an issue. You would normally move your thumb down to the bottom where the button is supposed to be, and click the area and it works the way it's supposed to. Even right-clicking works now! Function-wise, it works exactly how you expect it would, but it looks a lot cleaner now. I don't really use all the gestures yet, but once in a while I'll use the four-finger gesture to bring up the application switcher or expose/desktop.

- Photoshop CS4 + new MacBook trackpad = Major Win. Wow. That's all I'll say. Speed is fast of course, but the way to manipulate the images w/ the new trackpad gestures just makes the product so much more enjoyable to use.

- The keys feel the same way as the old MacBook but seem a lot quieter. Plus on my model they light up :)

- The LED screen is very bright and vivid. It's definitely a lot brighter than the older model. I have to keep it down to 80% brightness to match my old LCD MacBook screen's brightness at times. However, the software has a built in sensor to automatically adjust the screen brightness depending on the ambient lighting conditions (like the iPhone).

- The hard drive and battery are now much easily accessible, compared to the coin trick you had to do with the older model (you had to use a coin or large flat object to open the battery out and change the hard drive).

- In general the overall responsiveness of the system is highly acceptable. My older system was a Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz w/ 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. The new system is a 2.4 GHz w/ 2 GB of DDR3 RAM. Even though I have less RAM, the new DDR3 definitely makes a huge difference--being almost double the bus speed, it's just as responsive as if I had 4 GB. I can't wait until 4 GB RAM prices drop and I'll make the upgrade to see how much faster this thing can go.

- One neat thing is the new white indicator light on the bottom right of the case is a thin little light (like the MacBook Air) and you can't tell there is a light there until it turns on. It literally bleeds through the case. I guess it's hard to describe unless you see it in person. But the effect is very cool looking.

- The best thing over all the new features is the weight--which was the primary reason I bought it. I can definitely feel the weight difference between the previous MacBook model (5 lbs) compared to the new one (4.5 lbs). It feels a lot lighter than 4.5 lbs but is definitely lighter in general. The new MacBook Pro was going to be my second choice, but I felt 5.5 lbs is still too heavy. I'm very picky like that. But the MacBook is sufficiently powerful enough for my daily needs. I didn't buy it for gaming, but it's nice to be able to play Fallout 3 at the airport if I ever get really bored. And yes, I tested Fallout 3 on the thing and it works! It runs pretty smooth too at Medium settings. I have to reboot to Windows XP though (via BootCamp), but it works if I ever need it.

This pretty much sums up my impressions so far. This is coming from a person who's used a PC for 20 years, and recently switched to Mac a year and half ago. So this MacBook is far and away probably more perfect than any PC notebook I've used in the last 10 years of my life.

I hope this helps an owner of the previous generation MacBook who is comtemplating on buying a new one!

23. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

There have been no problems with the fit and finish on my 2.4 model.

I have been very happy with it. My screen has also not been a problem for me. The viewing angle is a little narrow, but when I am sitting using it the screen looks good to me.

Happy camper here.

24. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee