Post your reasons

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gleadr, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

Below Post your reasons for getting a 15" MacBook Pro and what you use it for every day. I am really interested in buying one and i want to see why other people got it.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nicely crafted way of asking if you should buy one or not. I think a search is in your future.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Typing, DVD ripping, Watching a few movies, music, Lots of school stuff, mostly notes, I pretty well carry it everywhere and surf the net and other stuff between classes. I also use Reason for music loops, logic pro, use excel in parallels for stats class b/c office 08 SUCKS(no vba). Generally anything i can think of.

5. DJ567 macrumors regular

I had no real worth while reason to upgrade from a from a early 2008 black macbook 2.4 2gb ram, 250gb and yet i did anyway apple must love me 4 macs in less than 3 years (3 still in my house).

there's only 3 real differences that made me change:
    1.) its bigger i wanted a bigger screen
    2.) faster ram bus and higher L2 cache which make windows work a bit better in vmware
    3.) the graphics i hadnt been able to play pc games since i sold my desktop pc a couple years ago

other sueprficial reasons, including why i didnt buy 1 before now include:

theres no latch i hated the latch on my first toshiba laptop refused to use 1 ever since pc or mac

i love the macbook keyboard glad they have used it in the revised mbp

glass trackpad is genius i used to use a gestures application now i dont need to as everything catered for with the keyboard f keys or the trackpad

dont know how any of these might impact your decision but thats my experience

6. Gleadr thread starter macrumors member

Gleadr

Thank you DJ567 for actually asnwering the question i like your reasons too

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

What do you plan on using it for?

I use mine to help people here on MacRumors, edit video with Final Cut Studio, edit audio with Logic Studio, compose music with Logic Studio, mantain my website with Dreamweaver, sync my iPhone with iTunes, buy music on iTunes, keep me occupied on plane flights, make graphics with Photoshop, build apps with the iPhone SDK, and many other things!

Bottom line, if you do go ahead and buy the MacBook Pro, you'll love it! If you don't, sign up for some workshops at the Apple store and they will teach you how to love your new Mac!

David

8. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

1. my ibook died and I needed something to replace it. The price of the MBP 15" was attractive so I got one from my university co-op.
    2. i like having the use of both OSX and Windows in a laptop configuration.
    3. i record music with Logic Pro remotely from my homestudio which is an OSX only program.
    4. I use the MBP for med school and use it to work on my lab research work as well.

9. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

Undergrad student at a University. Its portable enough for me to carry it to class everyday. Meet all the requirement of a college students: voice recording, portability, multi functionality, ease of use. Also meet all the requirements for my hobbies: video editing, photoshop, programming, social networking. It is also very customizable in terms of the OS itself and applications.

10. RKpro macrumors 6502

same story here, minus voice recording...

11. dannomac macrumors member

I just ordered a 17", but here are my reasons anyway:

1) My PowerBook's battery is dying, down to about 40 minutes of real usage. I could get a new battery, but why when I'm getting a new computer for other reasons?

2) My son is getting older, and needs more space, so my handy desktop is going away. The 17" MacBook Pro is more than a replacement.

3) School. Good for taking to school for notes and whatnot.

4) Games. Unlike my PowerBook it can play Windows only games like TF2, a task formerlly handled by trusty desktop replaced in #2.

12. johata3 macrumors regular

I am a undergrad at an university. I am a proud owner of the 15" unibody Macbook Pro :)

The reasons for 15"

1. I previously had a 12" portable laptop and it was hard to see sometimes when I type for notes. Basically I need a basic big screen.

2. I own a Timbuk2 messenger bag. Easily fits in the bag so I didn't need to buy a new one.

3. Great note-taking features for classes. I use keynotes and photoshop for presentations. Decently fast enough when I use for internet surfing.

4. I am a college student. I can't afford a 17" and I don't need that much of a bigger screen. It will look weird to carry a big screen laptop in class and let people see what I'm doing on my laptop.

5. Decent battery life that will last for 3 back to back classes.

I hope this helps. Good luck on getting your Mac! :)

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

O i also forgot, i upgraded from a dell inspiron 6000- it was a 17" it was super thick, very heavy, and i had to restart it multiple times a day b/c of freezes, like i couldnt just close the lid b/c it would freeze upon opening, i kept it clean and defraged, virus free, every thing i could and it was still deathly slow and annoying, o and i just was ready to not have virus scans anymore :cool:

14. podiki macrumors member

Are you also interested in reasons why I haven't bought one yet?

- glossy screen
    - black screens of death
    - low resolution, 1440x900, useless

I'd get a MacBook, at least it doesn't have the 9600M, but 1280x800 is a resolution for a cell phone, not a whole laptop...

15. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Nice to know there are Apple employees (apparently) helping on MR :)

Btw your bug avatar really got me, I really thought for a sec that a bug was crawling on my screen! :D

16. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Needed portability and power
    Loved the Design
    Needed the Graphics card for 3D visualiser software as wel as CAD drawings
    The ability to run windows as well at the same time still being able to do 3d stuff.
    Syncing iPod and HTC Diamond for all my music, contacts and calenders
    Ripping/encoding

17. Gleadr thread starter macrumors member

Gleadr

Thanks all of you for posting your reasons it helps a lot. Oh and I think the screen is fine it looks very nice when I go to an applestore