Post your Starbucks order!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ApplePersonFreak, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502

I've started going to Starbucks more often now, and am looking for new drink ideas. Post what you normally get when you go there! :)

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sorry, but, as it happens, I don't go there.

I do drink a lot of coffee (but not in Starbuck's) and I will admit that the ambience of individual stores can be quite attractive, but - on coffee - Starbuck's falls down; in general, I don't much care for their coffee.

3. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

starbucks not so common here, but over run with costa coffee shops

4. mcclorryevan macrumors newbie

mcclorryevan

I'm from Canada, and I was working for carnival UK sailing out of Southampton.. There were a few Starbucks there, but yes, Costa coffee everywhere! Even on our ship there was a Costa.. I had it a few times but I couldn't see the appeal. Maybe that Tim Hortons and Starbucks is too deep in my blood veins!

as for OP, some of my favourites are:

Doppio Espresso
    Red/Green/Black Eyes
    Americanos

Opt in and ask for blonde espresso instead of the regular. its stronger, and smoother tasting.

5. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

When we go to Starbucks, my husband loves the vanilla bean frapuccino. I stay away from sweet, and don't care for their dark or regular roast. The blonde isn't bad.

I prefer their food.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

8. nortonandreev macrumors 6502

nortonandreev

My favorite is White Mocha. You can try it with Raspberry syrup, as well. It depends on if you prefer something sweeter or without much sugar.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Starbucks changed their Rewards program in March 2016. Everyone involved wanted 1 Star per drink, rather than 1 per order. Starbucks was told that repeatedly over the years.

Starbucks chose to change the program to 2 Stars per dollar spent. And then raise the cost of the free drink to 125 stars.

They also chose to give you only 1 day to redeem your free birthday drink and they made stars expire.

I left Starbucks over this. My ability to get a free drink got too expensive and they weren't listening.

But when I DID go there my standard order was a Quad Venti Flat White.

My kids and I were fortunate to find a local coffee shop. Colados which serves much BETTER coffee than Starbucks and being a family owned and run place they are more focused on the customer.

I will still visit Starbucks for a quick coffee grab if it's convenient at the time, but I don't go there regularly any more.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    I have a friend in Nottingham whom I asked to grab me a Costa card once and send it to me.

I've never stepped foot in their shops and I have never tasted their coffee, but I have a Costa card account. :D

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Even here in the rural South, there are a couple of good local coffee shops that I prefer to Starbucks. One even imports and roasts their own beans.

Yes, we have a “Bucks,” but I’d much rather my money go to local small-business owners.

11. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

As a trucker and with the cost so high, I go there seldom. When I do I like (winter) hot chi , (Summer) iced chi , and for an afternoon fun drink I just love the caramel frapp.

Quick edit, I really dislike the taste of coffee. Just saying :p

12. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I used to go primarily for their tea as I'm not a coffee drinker and Dunkin Donuts has disgusting tea option.

13. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

I hate coffee too lol

tea much better, earl grey is a favorite

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I think I've been to Starbucks twice alone in my life since I don't drink coffee. My wife orders a grande latte everyday though.

15. willmtaylor, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Their coffee is equally so.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I wouldn't have minded continuing to give Starbucks my business. We get coffee on a Saturday night. Three people with laptops in hand for an hour and a half or so and I drop $20-25 for food and drinks while we surf the internet.

But Starbucks chose to ignore Rewards members requests and give us what IT wanted so I won't give them my business anymore.

I'm a fan of any business large or small who listens and rewards their customers. I've known enough small businesses that were worse than Starbucks though. So it all comes down to the management and where it places it's values and resources.

The irony is that the place we go to know has a punch card for free drinks after so many visits. I'm so happy with the coffee, the food and the way they value customers that I don't even care about that. So, not only do they get the money Starbucks would have gotten, they don't need to offer me free drinks to keep me coming back.

Yeah, still bitter (coffee joke) about Starbucks. :D

17. Scepticalscribe, Jul 31, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, the coffee in Starbuck's is bitter, and often stale, and over-roasted, which means that - for coffee (which is what it has made its name selling) I don't rate Starbuck's.

Good quality, local, artisan coffee shops, with enthusiastic staff (and good quality - fresh - coffee sourced - ethically - from small producers and then roasted, by small roasters) meet much more with my approval and are what I patronise.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I also used the previous star system much more extensively (had a black or gold rewards card), but quit for your reasons and the ones I listed above.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you are meaning the drip coffee at Starbucks I get that. It means they aren't following the rules because they can't be bothered or are too damn busy because corporate limits the amount of people on shift.

I know several Starbucks baristas and ex-baristas so I hear the complaints.

The drip coffee is supposed to be consumed within 30 minutes. If there is still coffee there after 30 minutes they are supposed to dump it out and brew another batch.

It's bitter because they aren't following the rules and it sits and cooks for however long before you buy it.

As a customer you have the right to ask them how long it's been and if it's over 30 minutes you have the right to demand they make a new batch.

As to local shops with artisan coffee, I agree. It's the reason I like Colados so much. Conversely, I've know a few shops where they did everything 'right' and the coffee was still worse than Folgers drip.

There's an art to it and some small businesses see only $$$ and don't bother learning the art side of it.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    I have both black and gold.

I got the black one because originally I bought into the discount program, which was different than the Rewards program. I got one year out of that before Starbucks rolled those members into the Rewards program at Gold level which is how I ended up with the Gold card.

I continued to use my black Starbucks card until I left as a way to flip Starbucks the middle finger for ending that program. It was also interesting to see barista reactions from those who had no clue the old program ever existed.

20. Scepticalscribe, Jul 31, 2017

Scepticalscribe

The kind of small businesses that are run by enthusiasts tend to have good coffee, and treat their staff well; they source good coffee, usually from small producers in places such as Ethiopia, or Kenya, or Burundi, insist on ecologically sound (and ethical) production values, pay the producers properly, and use small roasteries - often in Scandinavia.

The upshot is some of the best coffee I have ever drunk, fresh, vibrant, tasty, smooth, constantly changing.

Now, there is is a downside; promoting ethical and ecologically aware policies costs money; sometimes I will pay up to €18-19 (or its equivalent in sterling) for a packet of this coffee, - and often it will be around €15 - but I pay it willingly, knowing that I am drinking superb quality coffee and acknowledging the effort and choices made by those who have brought it to me.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

@Scepticalscribe , if you do happen to find yourself at a Starbucks, you can also order a French Press instead of any bean in the place. They’ll make it for you fresh.

22. Lioness~ macrumors regular

Lioness~

Hmm, do we even have Starbucks in Sweden I thought :confused:

Obviously, a very few ones, and 1 in my city on the train station.
    Den't travel by train that often though.

Doubt that I would buy any of the kinds of espressos I like, want and make quality of myself. Not at first try anyway.
    But I'm always open for new stuff & experimentation :D

Their menu have a lot of interesting iced kinds.
    If I walked in there today......a hot summerday, why not a Iced Caramel Macchiato.
    Sounds like some of the flavors I have on my WheyProtein :p

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I totally agree with you and I am not arguing your point. I'm willing to give those places my money gladly.

I am simply saying that there are some small business coffee places I have tried that are worse than Starbucks as far as customer service and coffee production.

24. BigMcGuire, Jul 31, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

We used to frequent Starbucks back when they had their gold card rewards program. The new rewards program sucked when it started, made us go less, - they've tried to get people like us to come back with "double star days" and all that... but... it's just too expensive.

I have a local coffee shop but it's almost as expensive - but the coffee is VERY good.

As someone who has roasted his own coffee (Behmor 1600 roaster) - I buy Peruvian beans from http://happymugcoffee.com/ (green beans). This is the best cup of coffee I can make - $4 a pound (green) - takes 30 minutes to roast an 8 ounce batch.

Starbucks just worked too hard to get rid of my business. 1. They got rid of my favorite drink twice. (Last favorite drink: Orange Mango Smoothie with Matcha powder). 2. They keep getting our order wrong. 3. Prices keep going up. 4. They cancelled my favorite Ham and cheese sandwich.

Their breakfast sandwiches took a huge tumble south in quality -- same for the multigrain bagel (in the last few months). I love their protein box (the one with the egg, apple slices, grapes, and round bread thing). lol.

I have a sister who works for Starbucks so I can't officially drop them. Coffee Bean here in CA has been working hard to become better.

To stay on Topic: Protein box, multigrain bagel, and a dark roast coffee. That's all I order now if I go to Starbucks.

25. Scepticalscribe, Jul 31, 2017

Scepticalscribe

Sometimes, when I am at home, I might have a coffee at a Starbuck's in the Victorian railway station - which is in a lovely room with high ceilings, wooden floors, sash windows......before heading off to a meeting elsewhere.

But: Even there, most of the time, I will give my business - an espresso, the paper, a bottle of water for the train - to a small kiosk staffed by an enthusiastic woman from eastern Europe who makes a genuinely mean espresso with a pleasant smile, and remembers what I like.