Post your T-Mobile iPhone model - is it factory unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shanmugam, Apr 10, 2013.

1. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

anyone who get their hand tomorrow or friday, can post the model number?

and try the ATT sim card and see if it is really factory unlocked from get go?

Thanks!

2. Tallguy93 macrumors member

I havent gotten my phone, but I know for a fact that it will be model A1428 and will only be unlocked if you pay full price. If you buy on payment plan then it will be unlocked once you have paid it off.

3. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

yeah that is the word on the street; if it is locked t-mobile then ideally it should have different model number, right?

Also how apple knows a iPhone A1428 is paid off or not (unlike ATT, VZ or Sprint contracts)?

merely you are signing up for installment plan.

we will get all the answers once t-mobile iphones delivered.

4. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I assume it'll be locked to tmobile. Maybe you can get it unlocked via a 3rd. Party unlocking service (servers based outside US, because of the recent judicial reasoning)

5. MGTR420 macrumors regular

I paid full price for the T-mobile iphone, will reply when i actually receive it.

6. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Thanks!. I have one iPhone 4S factory unlocked, if the t-mobile's iPhone 5 is unlocked do not mind getting it from them on installment plan and hit with credit record (hard pull) .

7. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

8. Tallguy93 macrumors member

Even if you paid full price, you still have to call them so they can unlock it from within the system. Apple doesnt know that you paid full price - T-Mobile does so t-mobile will have to tell apples system that phone is paid off and should be unlocked. At least thats what I believe should happen theoretically. :D

9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

If you buy from an Apple Store and pay full price it will be unlocked based on how they handle AT&T phones. We don't know about buying it full price from T-Mobile yet as that varies by carrier. At the very least they will unlock it upon request like you said.

10. mainevent3405 macrumors newbie

A1428 - Factory unlocked. Purchased from Apple two weeks ago. Using now on Tmobile - Got the update so I'm LTE ready and showing 4g icon most of the time.

11. rockitdog macrumors 68020

You will have to call them and request it to be unlocked. Let me guess, you're wanting to take advantage of T-Mobiles discounted iPhone price and then take it to AT&T???

12. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

huh, It is other way around, I paying ETF to ATT go with t-mobile. (not because of their service, I really want to have unlocked phone when I travel in emergency).

Also remember, t-mobile will hit you with credit pull if are new customer and opted for installment plan.

13. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Do you travel overseas for emergencies?

14. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

What I meant -> I have aged parents away from US, if something happens to them I needed to go immediately - in that situation unlocking is least thing i wish to take care.

15. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I'm headed to the tmobile store to tomorrow b/c they couldn't process my order on installments. My order initially was like $299 deposit for the white 32GB model+ first month (activation fee waived and all that), but something happened in their computer system and they told me that since it was so late in evening they couldn't process my order and that I had to walk into a tmobile store instead....

I'll have to wait afterwork, and I'm sure so many people are going to be there tomorrow getting iPhones & just wonder if they'll run out b/f I can get my hands on one.

16. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Depending on how it goes, I might hit the credit card for full price and then get it unlocked to use on Net10 AT&T or use a 3rd party unlocking site (servers off freedom land) and pay them the installment to not damage my credit.

Does anyone knows if I pay for it to get delivered I also have to pay the taxes or does tmobile does? Apple usually absorbs the taxes if the phone is purchased via them, but with tmobile is a discounted price and I was approved for pmt installments as well.

17. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The AT&T unlock services do not work with the T-mobile iPhone from what I have seen. Maybe they will eventually though.

18. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

After the update, are you still able to access Cellular Data Network (CDN)?

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

are you going to return it for a model that supports t-mobile's aws hspa+?

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

This is my Model/SKU Number, per T-Mobile's confirmation:

SKU Number : ME489LL/A
    Item Description : Apple iPhone 5 White 32GB

21. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I'm aware of that thx.

----------

That's the one I want :)

22. bozzykid macrumors 68020

And the model number for the 16GB Black unlocked iPhone 5 w/ non-activated T-mobile sim installed is ME486LL/A.

23. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Apple site lists unlocked iPhone 5 as two variety one with t-mobile SIM and one with out t-mobile SIM.

I think t-mobile version of iPhone 5 is unlocked also :)

Any one tried ATT sim in t-mobile iPhone 5? Thanks!

24. foreverandalway macrumors member

I'm pretty sure once you buy the phone at full price they make you use their service for a month, as to prevent people from buying it unlocked at a discount and using it right away on their service.

25. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam