Post your Techrestore Pictures Here...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Sep 1, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I was thinking of ditching my glossy for a new matte MBP. However, the other option is I could save the money and have Techrestore change out my glossy screen for a matte one. I've only seen a couple pictures of a Techrestore job (like this one attached - thanks to the person who posted it), and I wasn't sure if I liked the look or not. I feel they should have made the black bezel glossy instead of matte. If anyone has any pictures of their Techrestore screen, please post it here.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Why not sell your current one for ~$100 off retail price, then buy a brand new one with the matte screen and it will have only cost your $150 in all. How much would it cost to have your screen done by Techrestore? Can't imagine much less than $150, not to mention warranty will still be valid, and you will have a brand new machine!

3. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

My laptop is a second gen unibody with the expresscard and removable battery. I think I bought it in March. There's no way I'd be able to sell it for only $100 off retail, not to mention, I'd have to pay taxes on the new unit.

Techrestore is $200, plus 4GB of RAM (from 2GB) would cost me $125.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

ahh I thought you had one of the new unibodies. I would still look into what you could sell it for. Some people still prefer the older ones for the removable battery and express card slot, so you may be able to sell it for more than you think. Plus you get a free $100 printer, and you can sell the free iPod touch for $200 which would mean you could get $300 off the purchase price of a new one. Just a suggestion.

5. impilot macrumors newbie

speaker cable

Sorry to go off topic, but do you remember where you got this pic. I am looking for a speaker cable like the one in this picture.

6. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

the logic in this is flawed. first he would only get this IF he is in school. I know it is hard to believe but not all of us are.

next he gets the ipod touch and the printer, now comes the part where you have to sell them to make your money.

the ipod is a big maybe. the market is flooded with people doing this same thing and sking 150-160 because no one is buying them. especially knowing there is an immenent refresh, people just aren't buying them as readily as you may think.

and i have never thought about buying a printer from CL. maybe just me, but assume there are plenty out there just like me.

7. darkdream macrumors member

Or he could just have a friend or make a friend who has an available apple employee discount to use the 25% off... no need to sell anything more.

8. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Apple employee discount on computers is 10%

9. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I would do everything I could to sell the old and buy a matte screen from apple. I have not seen one in person, BUT from the pics i have seen, it looks cheap and out of place. that matte screen and bezel just does not look to be at the same quality of what the rest of the machine is. it would be like having a rolls royce with pontiac interior. it just dont look right.

also, from the review i have seen there is some minor cosmetic damage done during installation. however minor it may be, it is still damage i would not want to have on my baby.

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I just said to look into it because if it would save money or even only cost an extra $100 I would do it just for the warranty and not having to worry about problems.

11. darkdream macrumors member

Did they recently change it? I got my umbp 2 months ago with a 25% off discount under a friend's employee discount (the discount for 25% off she told me was a once a year thing otherwise it become 15% for the next three things and 10% for everything else after).

12. impilot macrumors newbie

You are correct... if the employee orders online. Everything is 10% off at the Apple Store.

13. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Ah the horror of glossy finally coming home. Maybe one day soon you'll live up to your signature. :rolleyes:

14. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

i understand that. but even $300 off retail the guy is not gonna sell his 2 gens ago USED macbook pro. this is one of the pet peeves i have. if you go to CL you will see 6-7 pages of people trying to unload 2-5year old MB & pro's. for 10% off retail. in fact there was a guy here in chicago that was selling his first gen macbook white 1.8GHz core duo. he wanted $1150. CRAZY.

anyway, all i am saying is that this advice has been given out as gospel over the last few weeks. "get the $100 printer and $200 ipod and sell them to offset the price." and some of the people do this and find out the hard way that those items are not as easy to sell right now.

no hard feelings.

15. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have a glossy by choice. Trust me. My SR died, and didn't want another 17". When I learned of the techrestore, I went for the 15". I haven't had an opportunity to send it to techrestore and when the matte option came out, I debated getting a new one with the matte option.

So don't you worry, I WILL live up to my signature. Hence the purpose for this entire post. I'm trying to get rid of the gloss. :rolleyes:

Anyway, anyone out there have a Techrestore unit that can post some pictures?

16. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Sorry if you think I am being a tad harsh, I just despise hypocrites. Enjoy your matte when you get it. :D

17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Well when I gave the original advice, I was under the impression that he had a new MBP with the gloss display. If that were the case he could have definitely sold his glossy display, bought a matte one, and then sold the iPod and printer and wouldn't have lost any money. But what you are saying does make sense, seeing as how a lot of people got free iPods that they probably didn't need, and a lot of people are probably trying to get rid of them before the 9th so that they can get the new ones. But I agree, no hard feelings.

OP, have you thought about trying to get a matte screen cover/protector? I have one on my iPhone and it actually does a surprising job of blocking out excess light. Might be worth the $20 to see if it will work out for you for a while until you can upgrade to a new MBP, otherwise then you will know that you need to make the investment in techrestore