Post your Top Mac apps! (Design & Functionality)- Leopard

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bluedoggiant, May 25, 2009.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Rules

Post your top mac apps that you can't live without (or absolutely love), and make sure they have a "nice" interface. If you can, please keep it to apps that are up to Leopard's standards (large icons, gradient interfaces, etc) but its not required. Give a small description of the app, and a link to the developers site. You may post as many as you want.

You CANNOT post apps built by Apple or Adobe (because...duh), However; if you have an app you'd like to post that is an equivalent to one of Adobe or Apple's apps, say why you like it compared to it. For example if you have a Music manager app, say why its better/worse than iTunes, or if you have an image editor like Pixelmator, why is it better/worse than Photoshop.

Small companies such as OmniGroup and Jumsoft is allowed. As well as one-man companies such as Mike Rundle's Beak App (A twitter client in beta).

Freeware or shareware. For shareware, please make sure the price is under $100

In a nut-shell, please don't post something that EVERYONE knows about.

Also note: you don't have to actually have the app, you just had to have used it enough to decide whether you like it or not, use your best judgement.
    ---

I'll start!

Essentials:

Xslimmer (Shareware $13): A must have. You simply drag your applications into this one, and it will "slim" it to get rid of all the unnecessary files in your app to free up space. For example if you have an intel mac, it will get rid of all the PPC files within the application. It removes unnecessary code and languages. It has freed up apps that were originally 60MB's, down to something like 20MB, the results are amazing, and it has a blacklist built in for those apps that dont work after slimming. Improve load times! (Good for Leopard)

AppZapper (Shareware $13): Another must have! When you don't want an application or widget any more, drag it over this application's icon and it will delete all the files associated with your app such as App files and .plists. You can choose which ones to delete, and which to keep! This keeps your mac clean over time :) (Good for Leopard)

AppFresh: A software Update app for apple updates, and all your third party apps on your computer! including widgets, uses iusethis to know whenever an app is updated, and will download updates for you. Currently in beta stages, production is moving along slowly, but it works great! (Good for Leopard)

Social Networking:

Tweetie: Perhaps one of the best twitter clients out there for the mac. It is 64bit snow leopard ready and runs on "Cocoa Touch" (The developer said he literally poured his iphone tweetie onto the mac). It is super fast, and has a wealth of features, as well as keeping it super simple. (Good for Leopard)

EventBox (Shareware $15): Packs all your social networks into a simple app. Facebook, twitter, Flickr, RSS, Google Reader, and a whole bunch of stuff. It's still in beta, it has a great design. (Good for Leopard) - I DO NOT USE THIS APP

Beak: This is a twitter client Developed by Mike Rundle, it is still in its beta stages, but is useable enough to enjoy it. Compared to other twitter clients, nothing amazing, but what blows it away from anything else, is the inline replies, you can view "tweet-convos" right in your timeline with a press of a button. The developer keeps a close relationship with his users on twitter, so bugs, feature requests are most likely to be put into consideration and thought.

FTP/Torrent:

Transmission: A super simple torrent client built natively for the mac and updated on a regular basis. Includes a bunch of nice features while still being fast. (Good for Leopard)

Cyberduck: A great FTP app with access to up to 8 types of protocols and integration with over 15 text/html editors. If you use Fetch, a paid software, you will be blown away by this application because its free and offers a lot more. Includes a lot of Leopard's Finder features including quicklook. (Good for Leopard)

HTML/Code Editors/Production/Image (and the like):

Smultron: This is the ONLY free HTML code editor on the mac that actually feels COMPLETE and built for Leopard. The design is amazing, and its extremely fast. I must clap for the developer for something thats free, and so beautiful and functional compared to apps like BBEdit (bleh) Compared to Dreamweaver: No advanced previews or such, not that many prebuilt options (Good for Leopard)

CSSEdit (Shareware 30€): A highly functional CSS editor that was built for CSS. It seems like it was built by the people who created CSS altogether. It design is absolutely beautiful and blends in with Leopard just great. Its fast, and a good helper for the CSS noob. (Good for Leopard)

Espresso (Shareware 60€): From the makers of CSSEdit, this is their new app that is meant to blend in with CSSEdit, and to have a great simple interface. Like CSSEdit, it seems like it was built by the people who invented HTML! It also includes an FTP uploader. Compared to Smultron, even for the hefty price, its not better or worse, Smultron and Espresso seem to be inline as with how speedy and absolutely beautiful the apps are, however Espresso is meant to be a complete website creater, like iWeb, rather than just Smultron's simple open file and Syntax coloring. Compared to iWeb: Despite it not having themes and note being closely integrated with the other pages in your site, it keeps a good job if having a project window so you have all the files to your site in a side bar so you can switch back and forth between them. It is truly a great website manager and coding monster. Yet again, it is NOT to be compared to Smultron. Compared to Dreamweaver: Prettier, faster, but of course, not as functional (Good for Leopard)

Coda (Shareware $100): Now this is a true iWeb competitor, to start off comparing to iWeb: It has a CSS editor built right in, it's like CSSEdit in many ways, but scaled down, Built in FTP, Coding Documentation, and seamless file access. Everything is meant to work together in a fast beautiful way, its super fast, pretty and built for the serious web designer that doesn't necessarily need DreamWeaver. It is worse than DW in terms of functionality (no surprise here). The price really does make it worth it. Compared to Espresso (above), they actually are comparable, the only thing to note is that Espresso is still in beta, Coda is much further along, but without doubt, Coda is meant to be an all-in-one web manager. (Good for Leopard) - I DO NOT USE THIS APP

Pixelmator (Shareware $60): An image editing application and the only one that runs on the GPU (video card) rather than the CPU. It is ridiculously fast (I mean seriously, you have to try this ****, its amazingly fast, filters and all, it comes to the point where its mindboggoling). It is a good alternative to Photoshop. Its cheaper than Elements, but has some of the functionality of CS4 (Or an "original" Photoshop for that matter). It includes curves, an amazing drawing tool, tons of filters, and uses Quartz Composer filters. This is a must try for anyone into designing, it even makes stuff that would take forever to do in Photoshop. (Good for Leopard)

I have a ton more including Tinkertool, Video Monkey, iSquint, iShowU, but I think this list is enough :p (LOLOL). cheers all and post your faves!:D

oh, you dont have to put it in the same format like me ;). I'll post some of my other faves later on

2. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

*cough*thats made by apple*cough*

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, I only use apps made by apple. I'm sure I'll find good apps made by other companies soon

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

iStat Menus
    Puts your CPU usage, RAM usage, Network activity, Fan Speed/Power Draw and disk activity in your menubar. Also includes a better clock with a calender in the menu.

Attached Files:

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

More pics

Attached Files:

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I use istat pro the widget

7. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I like Osirix for DICOM images. Or is that a bit too esoteric.