Postcards from the Apocalypse: Peak Sneak(er)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, May 6, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

For those that follow college basketball Lonzo Ball, a former UCLA guard is expected to be a top-three pick in the upcoming draft.

It is usual for future NBA stars to sign a contract with one of the establish athletic-shoe makers (Nike, UnderArmor, Adidas, etc.) to develop a "signature" shoe, which will go on sale to the avid collectors of such items, usually at a retail price ranging from $75 to $175. In exchange, the future NBA millionaire gets nice little downpayment from the sneaker-maker of between $10 and $50 million or so.

Lonzo Ball went a different route. He signed with Big Baller Brand, a company founded by his father Lavar Ball. Who had recently offered a package deal to shoe-makers for the rights on all three of his sons (including 15 yr-old LaMelo, who scored 92 points in a high school game last season) for a reputed $1 billion.

The sneaker-makers declined.

Thursday evening, Big Baller Brands unveiled the ZO2, Lonzo's signature shoe, expected to ship in November of this year. It's price: $495 for the least-expensive pair.

[​IMG]

Shoe aficionados (and sports marketing executives) remained skeptical. Lonzo Ball's success in the NBA is uncertain, at best. And five hundred dollars is a lot of money for a pair of athletic shoes from a company with no history of athletic success or technical merit.

I don't know what this says about the state of sports in this country. I know less about what it says about fashion.

But it surely says something about the state of pure, naked avarice. And it surely must say something about the state of utter separation from reality that seems to infect a growing segment of our society.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I can proudly say I have never owned a pair of sneakers in my life. Flip-flops every day.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's just insane. :) When I ran regularly, $70 was the upper limit on my purchase, but $50 was better. And always good to know they cost a dollar to make in Asia. ;)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

LaVar Ball, Alonzo's dad is such an arrogant puke. ESPN had an article about this. Have to say, I don't think a $495 pair of sneakers is going to be a big seller.

5. jeyf macrumors 6502

i like the looks & style
    hope to see them at the thrift store next year

6. HEK Suspended

HEK

Shoot...limited edition signed pair is like $975.

Be an absolute hoot if major teams pass him over because who needs a loud mouthed father in the mix.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree, I just hope he doesn't ruin the career of his sons by being so foolish.

8. SHNXX macrumors 68000

9. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

"And five hundred dollars is a lot of money for a pair of athletic shoes from a company with no history of athletic success or technical merit"

The collectors don't walk around in them or even put them on so does the athletic success or technical merit of the manufacturer of this shoe really matter that much?

10. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

They look nice, I think. A few family members and neighbors will probably buy a few.

I'm not a basketball fan but marvel over the mad skills in the NCAA and NBA.

As wrestlers we played an annual benefit game against the basketball team. We easily kept up with them until we all fouled out.

Are "sneakers" athletic shoes??? You've never owned a pair in your life?
    You must be built like a lean and mean turtle. :)

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They aren't too bad looking. Not too flashy. I wouldn't pay $60 let alone $500. I've been eyeing a pair of Allen Edmonds boots and they only cost $350. I have a pair of Diesel boots that cost $3ooish close to $400 after I had them resoled because I didn't like the hoof sounds when I walked.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I don't think it really says anything about sports or fashion in general that hasn't been true for decades.

All it really says is that Lavar Ball is king of the fools, and all sports fans already knew that.

It's unfortunate that Lonzo has this clown for a dad. He'll be fine as a player but with his dad acting as his agent, he is seriously going to screw up Lonzo's endorsement money.