Postcards from the Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Apr 26, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Things not commented on, but worthy of note:

China launched its first domestically-built aircraft carrier. The Peoples Liberation Army Navy (really, dudes, you've gotta change that) launched a 1000' long, 70,000 ton, ski-ramp equipped carrier - it's second. Expected to become fully operational in two to three years. Chinese officials and media talking heads are keeping their rhetoric sensible on this matter. Obviously, they've learned how difficult naval aviation is. The Chinese Navy isn't going to seriously rival the US Navy for a while. But in the meantime - hurry up and get the F-35C into full-scale production!

[​IMG]

My Aussie friends are busy gorging themselves on Halal Snack Packs. What's a Halal Snack Pack, you ask? Basically a bed of chips (Australian for french fries) covered with melted cheese and grilled doner kebab meat and a medley of sauces (BBQ, chili, garlic), and served in a polystyrene clamshell. Why is this noteworthy? Call it a peculiarly Australian response to the rabid Islamophobia peddled by racist morons like Donald Trump, Marine Le Pen etc. A bunch of Australian blokes, after a night of traditional heavy drinking in the pubs of Melbourne or Sydney, recuperate with a fat-and-calorie laden statement of solidarity with their Muslim countrymen. Good on yer, صَديق!

[​IMG]

Mmmm.... Good!

Nordstrom, fresh off their well-received announcement of dumping Ivanka Trumps louche loungewear, managed to soil their reputation by offering pairs of $425 artificially-dirtied jeans. Drawing, in response, withering contempt from fashionistas and ordinary folks alike.
    [​IMG]
    $425? Come on, guys...

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

4. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I've spent the best part of three decades of diligent searching for the perfect late-night food to cap off an evening's revelries.

I've done the Dennys and iHop thing. I've tried (and regretted) Taco Bell drive-thru. I've had currywursts in (then) West Berlin and gyros in Athens. Cheesesteaks in Philadelphia (Seriously, those guys really are mean sports fans. Those guys would have boo'ed Christ when he dropped the cross.) Fish-and-chips in Liverpool and fried Mars Bars in Aberdeen. I've eaten falafel in East Jerusalem and some awesome ramen in Nagasaki.

And right about now, I've got a bit of a hankering for a halal snack pack.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Funny how both Russia and China have opted for a ski ramp instead of the system we use.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

aunt those fries called poutine?
    here is a closeup of those "dirty" jeans. paint

you-can-now-buy-dirty-jeans-for-the-low-price-of-425-24.jpg

7. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I knew somebody was going to point out the (obvious) similarities between Canadian poutine (a joy in its own right) and the Halal Snack Pack.

To which I would say, the difference is this: The Halal Snack Pack contains bona fide meat (usually beef, lamb, or chicken - never, for obvious reasons pork) slaughtered in a humane manner, and fried, grilled, or roasted to perfection. Your poutine, by way of comparison, offers the late-night diner merely the illusion of gravy. And I say this as a huge fan of gravy: But gravy ain't meat. If you know you've got to be up and doing business or battle just a few short hours from now, a man (or a lady) needs the rejuvenating umami and the satisfying textural joys that only well-cooked animal flesh can provide.

Apologies to my vegan and vegetarian friends. But I am who I am.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well they are made with real meat too you know?

9. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Except for when Pauline Hanson decides to suggest that 98 percent of Australians are against halal.Believe me we've had Islamaphobioa and just about every other type of phobia for a lot longer than Trump's reign ;P

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

11. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Hmmm... Perhaps the Aussies have a much better class of late night kebab shops than we do, but as the old song goes:-

Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London
    I'll show you something to make you change your mind

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Attention, I think.

13. daflake macrumors 6502a

Desperate cry...

14. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Not so sure about that. In halal, the animal is slaughtered in a manner maximizing blood loss. Like inverted with the throat cut.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True. But until pretty recently it was the best.