Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Hello, I am upgrading from a 2017 MB that I customized through Apple. I bought the base model as it fits my needs well. I am hoping to use it for a variety of things including exploring part time remote employment options, my favorite apps like Tweetdeck. Heard Chrome you have to use Rosseta? Never been a gamer but really excited by Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo(is there a bundle I am hoping?) Tomb Raider games, but do those run directly through Steam or do I need to use Bootcamp?Also may be doing a bit of WoW, Fortnight etc but unsure if these games are my cup of tea. Hoping these games offer demos??? Excited about Twich and Amazon Gaming too.

Disabled with almost full use of one hand Very limited use of the other. Have my own way of typing that works very well. However, concerned that the keystrokes required for some games might be too difficult. Never been a gamer at all but excited at the possibilities this M1 chip my provide.

Ordered directly through Apple supposed to receive it anywhere from the 2nd-9th. Still hasn’t shipped.

On my 2017 MB I clear cookies semi regularly to keep up the speed is this still a good thing to do? Also, it takes FOREVER to install OS updates and such. Hoping that will be a thing of the past with my new M1 Air?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Hello there! I can't answer you question however, I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer it.
I just wanted to say......... HELLO and WELCOME to the MacRumors forums.

I've has really good information / responses to any questions I've had to ask

Reactions: orbital~debris

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Hello there! I can't answer you question however, I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer it.
I just wanted to say......... HELLO and WELCOME to the MacRumors forums.

I've has really good information / responses to any questions I've had to ask
Thank you for this welcome!! I have actually been a member here for a while under a different username but it had been so long since I had logged in and wanted a different username.

I have since found out and quite bummed that planet zoo is not supported by Mac OS but very excited to play Planet Coaster!! Saw on YouTube that it works fine with M1!

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Your ISP broadband and your modem & router are going to be important as far as web downloads.
Even with 2015 MacBook I had no problem generally - I did find that even older Mac got a huge benefit with a better/current generation router with Wi-Fi 6.

Reactions: orbital~debris

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I have very fast internet, don't know the specs and also have google Wifi routers throughout the house.

LED

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Chrome is now an M1 optimized app so no Rosetta needed for it. Just choose the correct download for Apple Silicon.

Reactions: achonody

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Chrome is now an M1 optimized app so no Rosetta needed for it. Just choose the correct download for Apple Silicon.
Woot! Thank you!I heard someone say Safari is the best browser but isn’t Chrome still faster? Looked up Tweetdeck and it has been optimized for M1 too!!!

Last edited:

LED

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Woot! Thank you!I heard someone say Safari is the best browser but isn’t Chrome still faster? Looked up Tweetdeck and it has been optimized for M1 too!!!
The performance between Chrome and Safari should be pretty close. I myself prefer Safari as I feel it is best optimized for macOS. I've also seen several posts about high memory usage from Chrome. But that said, I think either browser would work just fine for the most part with most things. Chrome might have a more extensive set of extensions and themes available if that matters to you.

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I usually use Chrome but I appreciate the opinions. I may switch to Safari except when I need the extra speed of Chrome when I am trying to buy tickets for presales and such.

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
The performance between Chrome and Safari should be pretty close. I myself prefer Safari as I feel it is best optimized for macOS. I've also seen several posts about high memory usage from Chrome. But that said, I think either browser would work just fine for the most part with most things. Chrome might have a more extensive set of extensions and themes available if that matters to you.
Question, lets say I wanted to buy tickets from TicketMaster. I find tickets and I want to buy them. Touch ID will allow me to buy them quickly with Apple Pay? Can I only do this through Sarfari or will Chrome allow me to do this as well?

LED

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Question, lets say I wanted to buy tickets from TicketMaster. I find tickets and I want to buy them. Touch ID will allow me to buy them quickly with Apple Pay? Can I only do this through Sarfari or will Chrome allow me to do this as well?
As long as Ticketmaster supports Apple Pay, then yes, you would be able to use Touch ID to easily pay for tickets. As far as I know, Safari is the only browser that you can use Apple Pay on right now.

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
As long as Ticketmaster supports Apple Pay, then yes, you would be able to use Touch ID to easily pay for tickets. As far as I know, Safari is the only browser that you can use Apple Pay on right now.
Ok, thank you! i’m coming from a 2017 MB so unfamiliar with the touch ID on the Macbook Air. So once you set it up, it’s just one click buy? Yes Ticketmaster supports Apple Pay.

LED

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Ok, thank you! i’m coming from a 2017 MB so unfamiliar with the touch ID on the Macbook Air. So once you set it up, it’s just one click buy? Yes Ticketmaster supports Apple Pay.
Yeah, pretty much one click to pay with your default card. If you have multiple cards set up with Apple Pay then you can choose an alternate card and that's an extra click. Touch ID is fantastic for logging into your account and providing your credentials for things like App Store purchases and such. I don't find that many retailers support Apple Pay yet for where I tend to shop.

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I was initially worried when I received my MBA. The shipping box was damaged and had a hole in it. However, the actual MBA product box was pristine, and the MBA itself was in perfect condition. I was told by AppleCare they could set up an appointment at the Apple Store to get checked out, but I don't feel the need to do so. Plus, because of my high risk to the virus, I am being extremely careful.

I was given a delivery window of 1-2 weeks. I believe this window was much shorter than some because my machine wasn't custom configured. I never asked for this but when it shipped out it was overnighted from TN and I received it the next day. I was absolutely thrilled and received it earlier than expected. This was the best experience I have ever had ordering a Mac and for the very first time it shipped from the USA.

I just wanted to say this machine is an absolute BEAST. This is my very first Mac that I did not custom configure in some way and I am so glad I didn't. I was second guessing myself like crazy while waiting for the MBA but for the FIRST time I went off of what I NEED and USE. This chip is so wicked fast and capable. I absolutely LOVE the magic keyboard and Touch ID. I am disabled and features like Touch ID make things so much easier. I love Safari so much on this machine I am not using any other browser.

The battery life is ABSOLUTELY INSANE. I have been using it for days and days.

However, I am definitely having bluetooth issues. This is disappointing as I love using my HomePod for audio whenever possible. It won't recognize in the main bluetooth bar. it usually does when using Apple Music but not always. Yes, I have the latest Big Sur update. I called AppleCare regarding the issue and they escalated the issue. Because I already had an escalation waiting for a different $250 Gift Card issue, I asked if I could speak to a manager regarding that. This was my 2nd or 3rd time calling back trying to get this issue resolved. An hour and a half later, they were able to fix the issue or so I thought. Later that evening I received a call from another supervisor. After explaining the issue again, she said the issue still was not resolved. However, she called me back a short time later and everything was taken care of. Although, the actual bluetooth issue remains for me. Has anyone gotten a fix for this issue?

I plan on using this laptop for both work/play. I felt I was extremely limited by the processor in my 12 inch 2017 MB and I feel like with the m1 chip the possibilities are endless. I loved the fan less, light weight design of my MB and I feel like the MBA is the perfect machine for me in many ways.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.