Pot, perhaps the biggest conservative test of Trump administration.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jun 17, 2017.

1. PracticalMac, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Pot, Marijuana, Weed.

Federally a controlled substance.
    However a very popular medical (with generally proven positive benefits of CDC) and recreational drug that is now legal in most states (but highly regulated).

Sessions has said for decades he was vehemently anti-Pot.
    Yet now Pot is a multi-million $$ industry in the majority of states.

If Sessions and the Conservatives apply federal law it would result in massive costs to enact, cause hundreds of thousands to go out of work, and millions of $$ (edit) loss to states.

Conversely not doing anything would seemingly weaken the authority of the Fed (which is actually something a lot of States Rights conservatives seem to want)

Trump it seems to be on his wall about this, OK for medical, but not protecting recreational. Although the wording suggests no restriction or limit to persecution.

I think a law making pot a legal but regulated drug (like alcohol and/or prescription drug) would be the only way out, but that does not seem likely either.

Or maybe it will remain in a strange limbo land?

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I see him either doing nothing about this or try to regulate it more. I don't think strongarming the states would be a good idea for an administration who have professed state's rights matter. I'm sure that is what Sessions would like to do, but I don't think he will get his wish.

I think most of the focus on drugs will be on opioids. And rightly so. Frankly I wish his administration would make a big deal out of this more than they have been. A LOT said on the campaign trail, not so much these days. I can only hope they are working on something behind the scenes that will be revealed later because this is a growing problem that we need to get under control.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he is the POTUS, not the dictator many pretend he is, CONGRESS is the problem here.

4. statik13 macrumors regular

Never understood why it was illegal in the first place. People will smoke so might as well legalize it, regulate it, tax it and be finished. Legalization will take the money away from the bad guys, provides a new income for the government, makes sure there is a consistent quality and even drive tourism.

For those who think the sky will fall, just look at Portugal for a case study. Pot (and all drugs) have been legal there since 2001. If you want closer to home, wait a year or two and see how it works out for Canada, who passed legislation earlier this year to make pot legal by April 20th 2018.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I believe initially racism and class were the issues.

6. statik13 macrumors regular

Yes. You would be correct. Hopefully our society has matured since that time.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you mean the dictator he thinks he is right?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Who were the last two clowns going head to head in the election?

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Sessions needs to partake in a joint session, the man is wound up tighter than a girdle on David Carradine.

10. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yet he has the power to order Sessions not to pursue convictions for MJ offenses.

And I bet if he encourages Congress to make MJ legal Trumps popularity (and polls) would sky rocket. Maybe a mid 2018 surprise?

11. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

You guys enjoy selectively supporting states' rights I see...

I think this issue, like may others, is best regulated and worked through at the state level.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It's an interesting puzzle. I'm personally against recreational marijuana, but would be fine with medical.

In order to move the drug to a medical classification I believe that would require FDA, DEA, and HSS approval. The FDA would be tricky considering the Big Pharma involvement and the fact that there is still a lot of missing info in terms of quality clinical studies... which is tough to acquire due to DEA regulations and requirements around the study. Another problem is that there is so much variation in different strains of marijuana that it's hard to make blanket statements about the drugs effects.

I understand the medical benefit of marijuana in some instances. I think it would be important those dispensing medical marijuana are knowledgeable about the medical conditions treated and types of marijuana strains available.

Personally I don't think Trump will take action on this. It's too unfavorable to many republicans, Big Pharma, and Trump personally. If he does approve it, it will only be for the money.

There are some other rules I think should be considered in general...
    - Non-medical marijuana patients should not be counseled on marijuana for medical reasons by non-healthcare providers
    - Marijuana should be advised to be ingested in a method other than smoking (any pulmonolgist can tell you inhaling smoke is not healthy)
    - Marijuana be sold with a labeling/documentation stating the known side effects, long term side effects, and other safety information