Potential Cons of buying Family Pack iLife 09

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machomer, Jan 28, 2009.

1. machomer macrumors regular

My roommates are considering buying the family pack, but what are the cons of this? I guess one problem is one install disc and the five licenses. If one person moves away they won't have the install discs.

Are there license keys? Are there other issues?

2. ray648 macrumors regular

Actually, if one person moves away not only will they not have discs, but they will also not have a license. The family pack only works while you are living in the same house. There are no keys so it will all continue to work, but that doesn't make it legal.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including students who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

From Apple

4. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for pointing that out. That really excludes college students because they have the potential to move frequently.

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Ultimately it boils down to the honor system and with you a current member at an institution of higher learning, you'll know what that's about ;)

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

If a family member moves away, do they theoretically have to uninstall the program?

7. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Theoretically yes, but only if you play along with the rules. ;)