Potential iPhone User, Need Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvanCarter, Mar 6, 2012.

1. EvanCarter macrumors newbie

Someone I know has a 4 & 4s, the 4 isnt in use. I asked her if she was wanting to sell the 4, and to my surprise she said, "yes, $100".... I immediately agreed, but with the fear this might not work out as planned.

I say this because I am with T-Mobile. I know iPhones can be used on T-Mobiles network, but at what cost?

Will she have to obtain the unlock code for the 4 from AT&T, or is jailbreaking the way to go.... Thank you for any responses.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

AT&T will not unlock an iPhone, no matter how much you beg, scream, or offer to hand over your firstborn. unlocking the iPhone is simply not done by AT&T, for any reason whatsoever.

Your only option is jailbreak, which is not always possible.

3. EvanCarter thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you explain briefly what you mean by that (the not so possible part) ?

4. cynics macrumors G3

Yep unfortunately if it is in fact locked to AT&T you won't be able to use it on t mobile.

Im not well versed in the aspect but maybe if she bought it unlocked from apple you might be able to switch?

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

AT&T does not have the ability to unlock a iPhone.

Only Apple can do that.

Apple will not.

6. EvanCarter thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's a let down. Thanks for the help!

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

...which Apple does at the request of AT&T.

So saying they don't have the ability to undo something they asked for is kind of a weird way of putting it. AT&T may not be able to unlock them, but they could stop asking Apple to send them locked phones. They've neglected to do that so far.

OP - It's possible to get some iPhones unlocked and on to T-Mobile's EDGE network. I personally don't think a non-3G-speed iPhone is worth it, but if you're interested then find out what software version and modem firmware version she has on her phone and ask in the 'hacks' forum here for more info.

8. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Depending on the baseband of the 4 if its 1.59.00 you can use ultrasn0w to unlock which requires a jailbreak if it doesn't have 1.59.00(Its a rare BB) you can use a gevey sim which doesn't require a jailbreak as long as your iPhone has the proper baseband that is susceptible to the gevey sim

9. Stealthipad, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You have much to learn about marketing. Why would AT&T asked Apple to stop locking their phones to their network? I think you can get T-Mo 2g to work without doing anything on an AT&T phone. (maybe)

10. cynics macrumors G3

Why will Verizon unlock a 4s instead of forcing you to use their outrageous international rates like AT&T does?

11. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Apple locks the phone at checkout only the carrier can ask Apple to unlock phones on your behalf AT&T just won't ask because why should you use international sims when you can pay their reasonably priced international roaming rates?:D

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

AT&T can not call Apple and get a particular iPhone unlocked.

You know not what is coming from your mouth!:p

----------

I do not know. You should ask Verizon:p

13. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They wouldn't.

I'm not sure where this question is coming from since the point of my post was that AT&T wants their phones locked.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

AT&T is calling the shots here. Of course they need to go through Apple to get the phone unlocked, but just about every other iPhone carrier in the world is doing that. Not sure what the heck you're getting at.

AT&T wants the iPhone locked to their network. Simple as that.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

the unlock from Verizon only works on non-USA carriers. It will only work out of the country, NOT in the U.S.

----------

AT&T is not going to unlock it as you say.

This renders moot the question of how it might be unlocked, and whether the lock/unlock is controlled by AT&T, Apple, the tooth fairy, or the Easter Bunny.

17. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Unlocking is simple AT&T refuses to do it.Get a Gevey Sim because you most likely don't have the 1.59.00 baseband