Potential Release Date Upgrade Problem

ThatBeerGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
11
5
Vancouver, WA
Hi All,

Now that the Sep 9th announcement date is out, I'm a little concerned about the rumored release date of Sep 19th. I preordered and got an iPhone 5 on the Sep 21, 2012 release date with a 2 year contract. As such, my eligible discounted upgrade date is Sep 21, 2014. If Apple does release the iPhone 6 on the 19th, am I going to be charged the full price because I'm not eligible for a discounted upgrade until the 21st? I hope Apple is taking that into consideration.
 

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
571
70
Buffalo, New York
What carrier are you with? I have the same problem with one of my lines. I am with Verizon. They said as long as it is within 7 days it shouldnt be a problem upgrading on the 19th.
 

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
6,369
14
San Jose, Ca
Every year this question gets asked and every year millions of people upgrade.

Just relax, you will get an iPhone on launch day like everyone else.
 

ThatBeerGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
11
5
Vancouver, WA
I'm on Verizon too. I used to be on AT&T where you could upgrade a couple months early at a discount.

I'm not worried about not getting a phone on launch day, I'm worried about possibly having to pay full price. Oh well, just have to wait and see.
 

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
511
71
Potential Release Date Upgrade Problem

I'm in the same boat as you. However, I don't want to upgrade because I'd lose the $25 MSVP discount on my line since I'd be signing a new two-year contract. So it's either buy full retail or use Next, and I'm probably going with Next.
 

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
3,395
1,597
Florida
Hi All,

Now that the Sep 9th announcement date is out, I'm a little concerned about the rumored release date of Sep 19th. I preordered and got an iPhone 5 on the Sep 21, 2012 release date with a 2 year contract. As such, my eligible discounted upgrade date is Sep 21, 2014. If Apple does release the iPhone 6 on the 19th, am I going to be charged the full price because I'm not eligible for a discounted upgrade until the 21st? I hope Apple is taking that into consideration.
1. Why be concerned ? Just wait until the 22nd and buy then. Goodness sakes. Its a %^&#%$ phone.
 

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
3,926
1,214
California
Considering how many times this gets asked, you would think ATT/Verizon/etc would take this as a marketing opportunity. A commercial or AD on their website telling people they are OK for a full upgrade even though the phone is coming out a few days earlier than their technical 2 year date.
 

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
6,799
3,089
I'm in the same boat as you. However, I don't want to upgrade because I'd lose the $25 MSVP discount on my line since I'd be signing a new two-year contract. So it's either buy full retail or use Next, and I'm probably going with Next.
It seems Next is the cheaper option for you anyway.

2-year contract:
Upfront: $200-400
Upgrade fee: $40
Add'l monthly cost: $25 * 24 months
2-year total: $840-1040

AT&T Next 12:
Upfront: $0
Upgrade fee: $0
Add'l monthly cost: $32.50-42.50 * 20 months
2-year total: $650-850

AT&T Next 18:
Upfront: $0
Upgrade fee: $0
Add'l monthly cost: $27.08-35.42 * 24 months
2-year total: $650-850
 

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
511
71
It seems Next is the cheaper option for you anyway.



2-year contract:

Upfront: $200-400

Upgrade fee: $40

Add'l monthly cost: $25 * 24 months

2-year total: $840-1040



AT&T Next 12:

Upfront: $0

Upgrade fee: $0

Add'l monthly cost: $32.50-42.50 * 20 months

2-year total: $650-850



AT&T Next 18:

Upfront: $0

Upgrade fee: $0

Add'l monthly cost: $27.08-35.42 * 24 months

2-year total: $650-850

Yeah, looks like it is!

I've actually been wondering this: if you choose Next on Apple's website to buy the iPhone, do you technically not pay anything (so the total amount due is $0)? How does that work?
 

ctbaz

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
138
56
I'm in the same boat as you. However, I don't want to upgrade because I'd lose the $25 MSVP discount on my line since I'd be signing a new two-year contract. So it's either buy full retail or use Next, and I'm probably going with Next.
Plus the upgrade free is now $40 for those getting a 2 year contract. Most of the times you can call ATT and get that waived but now days you might not anymore.
 

djransom

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
3,967
59
Chi-Town
It seems Next is the cheaper option for you anyway.

2-year contract:
Upfront: $200-400
Upgrade fee: $40
Add'l monthly cost: $25 * 24 months
2-year total: $840-1040

AT&T Next 12:
Upfront: $0
Upgrade fee: $0
Add'l monthly cost: $32.50-42.50 * 20 months
2-year total: $650-850

AT&T Next 18:
Upfront: $0
Upgrade fee: $0
Add'l monthly cost: $27.08-35.42 * 24 months
2-year total: $650-850

With Next you have to pay the taxes upfront at the time of the upgrade. Outside of that everything else is spot on.
 

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
6,799
3,089
With Next you have to pay the taxes upfront at the time of the upgrade. Outside of that everything else is spot on.
Tax laws vary by state so I didn't include that in the calculation. In California (Los Angeles area), I've always had to pay tax based on MSRP upfront even on 2-year contract subsidy.
 

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
511
71
Tax laws vary by state so I didn't include that in the calculation. In California (Los Angeles area), I've always had to pay tax based on MSRP upfront even on 2-year contract subsidy.
In Oregon we don't have a sales tax, which is why I asked if I'd be paying $0. Not sure if they'd add a tax online, though.
 

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
1,287
342
San Francisco Bay Area, California
I hope Apple is taking that into consideration.
Realise that upgrade eligibility dates are like birthdays - they happen every day of the year for somebody. Yours may be 2 days after the (possible) iPhone release date, for others their eligibility date may conveniently be on or just before the release date.

I'm pretty sure your carrier will allow you to upgrade starting at the beginning of your upgrade month.
Failing that, you may have to wait the 2 days to order, and put up with the possible delivery delays at that point. I'm sure you'll survive.;)
 

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
275
317
If you are concerned about have the latest and great phone the very second it is released, you should probably get on an early upgrade plan with your carrier:

Verizon Edge
T-Mobile Jump
Sprint Easy Pay
AT&T Next

I think your carrier will still work with you even though you will be 2 days early. But I mean, worst case scenario you have to wait 2 days. Is that so bad?

Call your carrier and ask. They will be the best people to ask.
 

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
5,383
1,017
It seems Next is the cheaper option for you anyway.

2-year contract:
Upfront: $200-400
Upgrade fee: $40
Add'l monthly cost: $25 * 24 months
2-year total: $840-1040

AT&T Next 12:
Upfront: $0
Upgrade fee: $0
Add'l monthly cost: $32.50-42.50 * 20 months
2-year total: $650-850

AT&T Next 18:
Upfront: $0
Upgrade fee: $0
Add'l monthly cost: $27.08-35.42 * 24 months
2-year total: $650-850
you're missing the biggest CATCH... AT&T next requires you to surrender your current phone. which i think is the biggest ripoff. why would you surrender your current phone ANDDDD pay for the full price of the phone?
 

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
6,799
3,089
you're missing the biggest CATCH... AT&T next requires you to surrender your current phone. which i think is the biggest ripoff. why would you surrender your current phone ANDDDD pay for the full price of the phone?
Surrendering the phone is entirely optional. Once you've paid off the phone in full, it's yours. You don't have to give it back to AT&T.

If you wish to upgrade early, you can trade in the Next phone after you've paid 60% of MSRP ($390 16GB, $450 32GB, $510 64GB) and AT&T will waive the remaining payments ($260 16GB, $300 32GB, $340 64GB). If you do the early upgrade/trade in, you haven't really paid full price for phone, just 60%. Can you get a higher price selling on ebay, CL, etc? Sure. I reckon there are quite a number who'd rather avoid the hassle of selling and would rather just do Next, though.
 

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
2,404
1,806
1. Why be concerned ? Just wait until the 22nd and buy then. Goodness sakes. Its a %^&#%$ phone.
I think you're confused. :)

This is a phone:
rotary-phone.jpg

Even this is a phone (had a couple of these, actually):
Motorola-StarTAC-75-01.jpg

This, however, while it can make and receive phone calls, cannot even remotely be considered simply a phone:
1.jpgde435fae-eee1-409f-b60c-2ee03b1fd564Large.jpg iPhone5s_PF_3UP_HERO_PRINT_small.jpg

And like a previous poster said, even a day or two after launch (heck, maybe even hours), good luck getting one for weeks at least.
 

Stlcheer

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2010
390
159
Saint Louis, MO
On the Apple website today I'm showing a full upgrade date of September 15th. Last week it was September 21st. I preordered the iPhone 5 and received it on release day in 2012. I think we'll be ok for upgrades this year.
 

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
320
90
On the Apple website today I'm showing a full upgrade date of September 15th. Last week it was September 21st. I preordered the iPhone 5 and received it on release day in 2012. I think we'll be ok for upgrades this year.
What carrier? I use Verizon and the Apple website is still showing Sep. 21 for me.
 

elmorage

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
20
0
I just spoke to verizon and had my upgrade date moved from 9/21 to today. Initially they said no, tried to offer me EDGE, then I explained the situation. I simply told them I was pre-ordering 2 iPhones on the first day and while I wanted to stay with verizon, if my upgrade wasn't changed I would just order with another carrier and let my verizon contract expire in 3 weeks. Short hold and then a new upgrade date.

It isn't the few days that is the issue, there have been times where shipping times have slipped to weeks and months if you don't get in early on the order.