POTUS Ability To Shutdown Investigations?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Can the President shut down Justice Department investigations that started before he was President if they concern his or an associates ties with Russia hacking? Or is the Justice Department independent in this regard? I'd assume they are.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Don't care. I do hope he gets to assign a prosecutor to Hillary

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

This will never get old, some of you should pace yourselves.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I know 2 years will be over before you know it.

5. webbuzz, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

There is still time for Hillary to be CIC.

edit:damn iPad

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I can't wait for the heads to explode when he gets re-elected. The list of "Trump won't....." will be pages long by then starting with Trump won't run for POTUS.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No Charles in Charge was Scott Baio.

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

CIC can mean many things. :eek:

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I know Obama shut down the senates investigations into Eric Holder and the Fast and Furious scandal. POTUS is now a soft dictatorship. Doesn't matter if it's dem or Repub.

10. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

There's a rumor that Obama will pardon Clinton on his last day in office.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Wouldn't doubt it one bit. "I Barack Hussein Obama, do hereby grant and unconditional pardon for Hillary Rodham Clinton for any and all crimes against the United States that she may have committed between the period of October 26, 1947 to January 20th, 2017."
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2017 ---
    Oh please he just used Executive Privilege./sarcasm

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

But but but she's not guilty....

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I think he has to. The collapse of the Clinton Cabal and shuttering of the Foundation will likely bring out all kinds of dirt that today is hidden either in foreign embassies or donor safe deposit boxes.

When these guys don't get their political favors granted, they won't be happy.

Don't be surprised if he extends the pardon to Bill as well.

14. Huntn, Jan 18, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Guys this is a simple question: Can POTUS, any POTUS shutdown a FBI or Justice Dept investigation about him or people close to him, their possible wrong doing. I'll ignore all the BS replies. It seems like if he could this would be a very serious issue as in who would be able to slap the cuffs on him? ;) I know, you know, this is a hypothetical question, because your love could not do anything wrong, but I'm asking what if? :rolleyes:

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So the short is that he most likely could shut down anything the FBI is investigating he wants. He did after all appoint the Attorney General, the Attorney General is over the FBI. Remember when Republicans complained about Loretta Lynch meeting with the husband of a person under FBI investigation? So let him shut down any sort of investigation, that's where the House steps in and starts the impeachment process.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That's another question. I know very little about impeachment. I know Nixon resigned instead of being impeached. Clinton was impeached and mostly it was just a bad label, a smear on his rep, but it did not remove him from his job. However, having an affair in itself is not illegal. If breaking the law is involved, something serious, who would order the arrest and who would do the arresting of an impeached President?

I have no indication at this point anything like this is likely to happen, although I do know there is an active investigation going on about Russian hacking, and who may have received $$ designed to look like pension payments.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Clinton wasn't impeached for having an affair. He was impeached for having committed perjury and obstruction of justice.

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes a politically motivated witch hunt that finally made a hit and he denied it. Yet he served the remainder of his term as President. So what was the point?

19. Populism, Jan 18, 2017

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Daz razizt. ;)

Even when Bill Clinton-perjury is - especially when Clinton-perjury is - needlessly, remotely, for-no-reason injected by da liberals/democrats/progressives,

den datz razizt.

20. DUCKofD3ATH, Jan 18, 2017

DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Tru dat!

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2017 ---
    Nixon resigned because honest, incorruptible Republicans forced him to. Clinton avoided a guilty verdict only because every single Democrat voted "not guilty".

That's when the Democratic party stated its slide into irrelevancy.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Theoretically, the President can order the firing of a Special Prosecutor conducting an investigation for the U.S. Dept. of Justice.

That's what Richard Nixon did during the Watergate Scandal when he ordered the firing of Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox in response to a subpoena Cox had issued to Nixon over the infamous tapes. This order was refused by Attorney General Elliot Richardson, and by his deputy William Ruckelshaus. Both of these men resigned in protest. The so-called "Saturday Night Massacre" was one of the key incidents that led to Nixon's resignation.

The Justice Department is supposed to maintain impartiality to political pressures when it comes to handling its investigations and prosecutions. That is why the Congress holds confirmation hearings for prospective Attorneys General. That is why the Justice Department appoints theoretically independent Special Prosecutors to conduct investigations of cases concerning political figures. Any Attorney General who was to comply with a blatantly partisan or improper order from the President to halt such an investigation would risk compromising the integrity of the Department, and ultimately the faith the American people had in our Government institutions in general.

So: The short answer is, "Yes" the President could theoretically order his AG to fire a Special Prosecutor who was conducting an investigation that might prove damaging to the President. But doing so would very quickly raise such public outrage that Congress itself would be forced to step in and begin impeachment proceedings against a President who was attempting to subvert the rule of law.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If you guys didn't care about Clinton then You should not care about trump. Unless you have different standards that is....

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

But is that considered High Crimes or Misdemeanor?
    At most I think it's a Censure.

24. Robstevo macrumors 6502

Did the presidential powers change or has it always been like that? Always found it odd a president has so much power, even the power to get around the justice system on a a whim without facts or processes.

For instance Nixon should have done hard hard time yet hey let's just let him off.

That's why I find it funny when Americans say they want to spread democracy and freedoms. Yet you have a light dictator aka a president.

At least in the UK pretty much any law has to go through all MPs

25. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Nixon was nothing compared to Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama.