Poverty in America in 2014

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jul 21, 2014.

1. G51989, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2...life_below_the_poverty_line_in_troy_york.html

This is what happens when you stop investing in

Safety Nets
    Education
    Sex Education
    Daycare for single moms
    Birth control education
    Nutrition education
    Stop investing in poor areas and leave them to rot.

I thought America was the greatest country in the world?

Guess not.

Why did I post this? I live about an hour from this city, I donate and do charity work in this city, But Ive never seen anything this bad. Hits close to home, I need to increase my donations and go over there and get some work done.

That is America, for the super rich, and even the somewhat rich like myself, things seem to be great!

But for the middle class, working class, and the poor working class, this is the future.

I think its sick, and America needs to stop thinking its such a great place. Because fore lots of people, its not.

For the super rich? Great? For the Semi rich like me? Sure, great. Upper middle class? Great.

The Middle class is being destroyed, and the working poor are ending up like these people.

IN the richest country in the world, this is beyond sick. And this is why I put so much money and time into charity work, not just because I grew up poor.

But hey Murica! The banksters and military contractors need paid!

Am I the only one who finds this disgusting?

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In all fairness, you could probably create a similar montage of photos of people living in somewhat pathetic poverty in Britain; France; Germany or even Scandinavia.

That said, we are failing our poorest fellow citizens, we are failing our Nation, we are failing ourselves by refusing to take the necessary steps to make America a better place.

I don't kid myself that the Democratic Party has all the answers. But I cannot shake the conviction that it is today's Republican party - fed by a constant diet of big money contributions and talk-radio propaganda - that is directly responsible for almost everything that is wrong with this country.

3. G51989, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Having lived in Europe and going back all the time to visit new family as I married a European women.

I can say, yes it exists in places like that.

But its not nearly as widespread as it is in America, in America, nearly 40% of the population lives close to, at, or below the poverty line. Its by far the highest in the developed world.

There is a large group of people in America, and I won't name them, that have zero interest in helping their fellow man. its all about " ME ME ME ME ME ME ME SCREW EVERYONE "

Indeed, while I do not support the Democratic party, I am an independent.

I think Post Regan Republicans are responsible for the failure that is 2014 America, as well as pro corporate democrats.

America has no business calling itself first world an ymore.

4. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I fear that this is the trend around the world now... It is true that it seems worse in the USA.

5. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Indeed, its very true in America.

I get this feeling, that other developed nations are starting to see the fall of America, and its slip into 3rd world status. And are starting to distance themselves.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm a little more optimistic about the USA. We still have some incredible advantages. We have the most vibrant entrepreneur/engineer class in the world. We are still a nation of laws and courts, relatively free of corruption. We are rich in many natural resources, including the most precious of all - space, physical room to put things. We have by far the best higher-education system in the world.

What we need is a Government system prepared to take the steps to cement our place as the economic leader of the 21st Century. And that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Right now, State and Federal Governments should seek to create a million jobs repairing, rebuilding, and creating a 21st century infrastructure for our country. Fix the dams, bridges, highways, and airports. Build tunnels and pipelines to bring water to our deserts and farms. Give tax credits to build solar and wind farms. Tax credits and subsidies to insulate every American home.

A million jobs, even subsidized at $50,000 a year, would cost $50 billion. About what we were spending a month in Iraq. And when you look at the downstream jobs created via "multiplier" effects - it would probably add another million or two jobs - all but eliminating the excess unemployment currently hampering our growth.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I saw a lot of poverty in the US when I was growing up. Back in the 1980's I volunteered for a project that dovetailed with Head Start. Some things that I saw haunt me to this day. The difference was that back then it seemed like the US was making some progress, however slowly and painfully. Now my impression is that the US is moving backward (I now live in the UK). We need to reduce the inequality of wealth, which means for starters taxing wealth rather than income.

What amazes me is that many working and middle class Americans are so against social programs. It is as though they cannot imagine how much wealth is locked up and exported from the US by billionaires.

8. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Not so much anymore. We DID, but its gone.

Now, I include myself in this class. However.

Its going away faster, in America, large business gets the all the tariff free imports and exports, lower taxes, in some cases no taxes, And they get to dodge pretty much any law then want with no criminal charges, the banks are a good example of this.

Small business guys like me? We have to pay more, WAY more, and there are WAY more regulations on us.

That isn't true at all, and you know it, America is probably the most currport developed nation in the world.

We have lobbying for gods sake, legalized bribes.

Which, because we are owned by giant business, will be removed from American land, and sold to Europe and Asia at a higher profit.

Used to be true, not so much anymore.

And even if it was true, the majority Americans are on the border of no longer being able to afford it, that makes it useless.

Very hard to do considering the fact that America is a corporate dictatorship.

The right wing in American literally considers all of that stupid, communism, and they hate it.

The right WANTS America to fail.

9. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I agree 100%, such a simple thing but nobody does it.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This is what confounds me too.

This past weekend I met a couple of college friends of mine in Minneapolis. And both of them are unalloyed right-wing nut cases (we get on just fine as long as the talk stays clear of politics.)

In the past ~ 5 years both of these guys have been financially bankrupted due to unforeseen medical expenses: in one case the guy had a stroke at age 49. In the other, the guy was injured in a car accident by someone with insufficient auto insurance. Guys who have had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket because of either insufficient employer-provided insurance; or simple lack of insurance at all. But these jokers keep talking as if Obamacare was the Holocaust 2.0

Then they go whinging on about the $17 trillion Government debt - and acting as if the Govt. was going to come around and ask them to pay it personally. The final straw came when they claimed America was broke - as we sat at a lakefront restaurant, watching the bobbing million-dollar power cruisers, in front of a parking lot with a couple of Ferraris in it.

If these guys were rich - or even affluent - I could understand their attitude about taxes. But they aren't. A couple of working-class schlubs who are so worried about a black child getting a free lunch they don't think they "deserve" - they are blinded to how badly they are being ripped off by the corporate shills who fill their heads with nonsense.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Comparing the US to a third world nation is a major disservice to actual third world nations. Most of these people probably have a cell and running water.

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I am all too familiar with people like your friends as I am surrounded by them everyday. There is NOTHING more frustrating than living in the deep South. I am surrounded by ignorant people who actually believe that the black President is taking away their freedoms, and that the Koch Brothers are freedom loving patriots. It is absolutely disgusting what the right wing media giants (Limbaugh, Hannity, Fox News etc) have done to take advantage of these ignorant people who, quite frankly, don't have the mental capacity to approach anything with reason or logic.

People like Limbaugh have the audacity to refer to Democrats and Liberals as the "low information voters," when he knows damn well that his listening audience is made up of "low information voters."

Only in America are people so damn stupid that they vote against their own best interest, and continue to live this fantasy that they are just like the super rich, therefore, their interests should be the same as the super rich. They have been brainwashed to actually believe that a CEO is WORTH 3000 times that of a standard employee.

I used to have a strong belief that we could turn it around as a Nation and bring back true middle class prosperity. Now, I am slowly coming to the realization that the evil side of Capitalism is going to finish off what we once referred to as a great Nation.

13. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I stated that America is slipping into 3rd world status.

As in, its not there yet.

But if the right wing in America gets its way, it will be 3rd world within 25 years. Which is the goal of the right wing.

The right wing wants to turn America into a 2 class country.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is a troublesome logic-fail driven by our plutocracy.

If I do business in this country, I have to comply with EPA, OSHA, NLRB and boxloads of regulations. But if I can off-shore the operation, I am no longer required to abide those rules. Hence, I am basically cheating: businesses that could readily operate here should be subject to the equivalent of all the non-compliance fines they would face if their off-shore suppliers were being operated by them, here.

Persian rugs, Indian saris, Cuban cigars, things that have an identity of origin should be treated fairly, but if it is crap we could make here, it should cost what it would cost if we made it here.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ha, it just looks that way, the democrats are just as bad as the republicans.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If President Obama proposed an "Infrastructure Stimulus" - how many Democratic Congressmen would vote against it? How many Republicans would vote for it?

The answer to question #1 probably isn't zero. The answer to question #2 definitely is.

Even if that "Infrastructure Stimulus" meant a bonanza of business for construction companies; rebar suppliers; cement factories; manufacturers of excavators and bulldozers (virtually all of which are made in the USA), etc. etc.

It doesn't matter that an Infrastructure Stimulus might be good for business. Its more important to Republicans that they appear to be against Barack Obama.

They are traitors.

17. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

This is true....

Many Democrats have caved to lobbyist and corporate pressure but many are still there to fight for middle class Americans (Elizabeth Warren, Alan Grayson, Bernie Sanders(I) to name a few).

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No its not. The US spends more on military than a third world country would spend on their entire nation.

The US has problems, but short a nuclear war its not going third world.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the worst part the far right tends to be pretty hardcore christian but instead of following the bible about helping the poor they condemn and hate them and do nothing to help.

20. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I jsut wish they run for the presidential campaign and not Hillary

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The christian right likes to help their communities through their churches. Tax money paid into US government is more likely to be used to kill someone overseas than feed someone stateside.

----------

I actually like Elizabeth Warren, seems very genuine. I'd probably vote her for that over the rest of the field even though I don't agree with her on everything.

22. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Me too! I would go door to door if I had to in order to garner support for any of these.

23. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

That's because it's dumb. Why would anyone work harder, get more education for a better paying job, work longer hours if that which they are working for is then taken away? I know I would not be finishing up my PHD if I wasn't going to be able to keep the extra money I will make with it.

A flat tax with less ways to write things off is a far better way.

----------

Right....because churches never help the needy. :rolleyes:

24. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Someone making $100,000 a year will still make more than someone making than someone making $40,000 even if their bracket is increased to 100% so yes the extra education/work is still worth it.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I want to point out that in rare circumstances things are assessed that way. The most prominent example is property taxes. Out of curiosity, what are you researching for your PhD?