Poverty Is a Moral Issue

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I saw this on a car bumper sticker the other day and it doesn't make sense to me.

- Does it make sense to anyone else ?

- What are your favorite philosophical sayings on bumper stickers ?

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Meaning that the moral obligation to fix poverty goes beyond politics.

3. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

It is only a moral issue if you have money.

My favorite philosophical saying on a bumper sticker is '"SHEEP They give so much and ask so little"

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

But can poverty be fixed and where does moral obligation come in ?

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

We can do a better job combating it than we are now, even if completely eliminating it is unrealistic right now.

Caring about people who are less fortunate is a moral obligation in most religions, most secular belief systems, and apparently in the mind of at least one bumper sticker manufacturer, too.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What about mustaches?

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I believe the federal government must regulate mustache rides. We can't have people riding mustaches without proper training and licensing.

9. 1458279 Suspended

Yes it can be fixed. Economics is kind of an ecosystem that has many balancing systems in it. It involved basic laws and man made solutions that must obey those laws.

For most it's too complex to understand and becomes emotional.

The basic problem is that if someone were to end poverty, what would stop a person from just not working and then the system starts to fail. What if every sees that poverty is gone and they all stop working?

Economics is a system where people work together in a system but we all have a somewhat disconnected interest. If your city had 10 more or 10 less homeless, would you know?

If you city had 50% more or 50% less homeless, you might know, otherwise, you can just go about your business.

This is the same model as intelligence, every normal person has a source of intelligence, we can usually ignore what others say or think, but we have a number of "intelligence poverty" people around. Some can be helped with education, others will never listen, others can't see that they are in "intelligence poverty".

Consider: 150 years ago, you could have been home free in 6 months with an ax by building your own home. Today, it takes 30 years, a down payment and good credit.
    Point: we've gone from 1/2 a year, to 1/2 your life to get the same thing.

Humans have created the economic system that we live in.

What if we gave all the poor people an ax and in 6 months they were all home free? We create a system the has the people working for the government.

The government is the one causing the poverty. Controlling people in poverty is so much easier than controlling people with power. The government is here to control the people. The people in "intelligence poverty" don't see that because the government gives them a few things and tells them they are victims. "Intelligence poverty" people like to be told they are victims.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Any political party would eliminate poverty tomorrow if it was that easy...

11. 1458279 Suspended

No, not any political party. Only the one(s) that want to serve the people. The ones that want to control the people would never do that even if they were smart enough to figure out how.

BTW, I didn't say it was easy. Don't forget, logic is easy for some, hard for others. Most humans are stumped by economic, others are frustrated by others that think they have the right answer and keep getting in the way.

Having the correct answer is one thing, being able to put it into place is another. Remember, the laws of physics didn't change when the 1st plane flew, the only thing that change was human's understanding of physics.

12. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Not my favorite but I thought it was funny, "Well behaved women never make history."

13. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

This is where I am looking forward to a full AI takeover of jobs, I will probably be dead by then, but if it takes off as I imagine it will alot will have to be re-thought from the ground and I hope when they do this, they find a way to tackle this issue.

Nothing worse than seeing a clear night and looking at the stars knowing someone could freeze to death because of the lower temperature.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Of course it is a moral issue, because the level of poverty (and poverty is not just as a consequence of 'not working' - many workers on below minimum wage jobs or an zero hour contracts would be classed as living below the 'poverty line') because in the western world, at least, it is very often as a result of the cultural, economic and political choices made by elites and electorates.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Politicians fundamentally want to win. So if they could get rid of poverty they would. It would reduce spending as well - which fundamentally they'd support as they could give tax breaks to the rich and give them the opportunity to spend on pet projects.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    I don't think people would be happy without work.

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Depends what poverty means. I think by Irish government standards not owning 2 pairs of shoes is poverty but I never felt I was poor when I didn't have 2 pairs of shoes in the 80s. Any party that reduced poverty would inevitably face redefined definitions that recreated it. Much simpler to get rid of rich people and then nobody is poor.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    150 years when the US was homesteading people were willing to live in the middle of nowhere and be farmers.
    Now if you offered people the same they would turn up their noses. It is not uncommon to see news stories where people refused free or essentially free homes that indicate their need is less than desperate. For most people in cities there is more reasonably priced housing a couple of hours away if they wanted that.

Also, at lest here banks are nice enough to let you live in their house while you pay it off so you don't have to wait half your life.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Poverty is amoral. As long as there has been man there has been poverty. My favorite bumper sticker would have to be "Poo happens".

18. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I can see it being a civil issue but not necessarily a moral issue. Others do have an effect on the situation but I believe that the person themselves are mostly to blame for wherever they are in life.

It's much easier blaming / relying on others then fixing the problem yourself.

19. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

The easiest way to end poverty is to change the definition/lower the threshold.

It's an artificial construct.

I do think helping those who are less fortunate (ideally helping them help themselves) is a moral issue however!

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

The poor you will always have with you.

@Scepticalscribe, I notice you have shortened your replies, after I called you out for bloviating. Pity, this is one area I would have liked to hear you explain, at length, what you think should be done.

21. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No, it can't be fixed. People also have a moral obligation to contribute to society in a meaningful way. If they don't, oh well.

22. Scepticalscribe, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'll reply later - at greater length - when time permits, but suffice for now to say that I disagree completely with your post.

Neither your remarks on my prose style (and I think you must have an extraordinary sense of self-importance to have persuaded yourself that your remarks would serve to influence how I approach writing) nor those of others here have had any influence on what I write or how I write it.

As it happens, I write at greater length - and with greater thought - elsewhere.

Rather, it is simply a sense that I am wasting my time, and breath putting thought into replies.

However, I will give the matter some thought.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It means you have a moral obligation not to end up in poverty, depending on others for assistance. Seems reasonable.

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Nothing to do with poverty, but my favorite bumper sticker for the last fifty years remains:

If you love something, set it free.
    If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it.

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It couldn't be the fact, that most of the time, you have no clue what you're saying, so you blather on as if you do, hoping something you say will stick.

I didn't think you had anything meaningful to add on the topic of how to alleviate poverty, but then , most people don't.