Poverty levels and elected Democrats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wotan31, May 4, 2009.

1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."

-- Abraham Lincoln

U. S. Top 10 Major Cities in Rate of Poverty

City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level

1. Detroit , MI 32.5%
    2. Buffalo , NY 29.9%
    3. Cincinnati , OH 27.8%
    4. Cleveland , OH 27.0%
    5. Miami , FL 26.9%
    5. St. Louis , MO 26.8%
    7. El Paso , TX 26.4%
    8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
    9. Philadelphia , PA 25.1%
    10. Newark , NJ 24.2%

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati , OH (3rd)...since 1984;

Cleveland , OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St. Louis , MO (6th)....since 1949;

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

Milwaukee , WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia , PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark , NJ (10th)...since 1907.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

Your thoughts?

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Interesting,

But you're going to get raked over the coals for posting this in here. Just a warning!

I'm excited to see what people have to say about that.

SLC

3. iGary Guest

iGary

My thoughts?

It has nothing to do with the party affiliation of the mayor.

Washington, D.C. is a good example, as is LA.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What about the best?

I am personally not so sure that such a simplistic statement could be made out of such a infinitely complex situation. Of course there are/could be major contributing factors that have big impacts but to lay it all down to one is a too much of a stretch in my opinion.

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I see your 10 poverty stricken cities, and I'll counter you with two that have done fairly well.

Is that what you're saying?

Still, if you look at LA's past mayors it's been pretty much evenly split between Republican and Democrat for the past 107 years. And Washington DC's poverty rate is nearly 1 in 5, total percentage is 19.1% for the 3rd highest in the nation according to the So Others May Eat organization http://www.some.org/docs/factsheet_poverty.pdf

I tend to agree with this assesment, but it is interesting all the same!

SLC

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would disagree with this.

Mayors push for allocation of funds based upon their political beliefs.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry- this is far too simplistic to be taken seriously.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What about all of the poor rural areas that consistently vote for republicans?

There's no correlation with wealth here. Big cities tend to be liberal. Small towns tend to be conservative. Even in the reddest states, the large cities will usually be blue.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out that El Paso is in Texas and per Texas law at the city level there is no official party affiliation.

So that city on the list is worthless for that example because no matter how far back you go there will never be a Republican Mayor nor a Democrat one.

Same goes for Houston, Austin, Dallas, ect.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Not where I live. And we have a low poverty rate here in Utah! Though Salt Lake City has the highest Poverty rate, and is the only town who would elect and has elected a Democratic Mayor. Salt Lake City is the largest in Utah by the smallest of margins with a population of 180,000 roughly. The rest of the valley (almost 1,000,000 population), is heavily republican, and the rest of the Wasatch Front (which is considered to be the Salt Lake City Metro area) is even more heavily republican and contains over 2 million people total). The parts outside of SLC proper are the places with much lower poverty rates overall, most of the small town folks in Utah do fairly well for themselves actually.

Still even then, the rest of the city council for SLC is Republican and our poverty rate in SLC is approaching the national average, not shooting way over it like some of these other cities.

SLC

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Good lord. Seattle? San Francisco?

Same could be said for Dallas - most of their mayors have been Republican and they're in the top 20.

The point is, there is no point.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So you are saying that mayors don't push for things based upon their political beliefs?

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

LOL - don't use the truth on liberals, it never works. One cannot respond to something one never has on their side.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Because it's not the truth. You can't make the correlation that just because a city elects Democrats as mayors that that's the cause of their poverty. And hey- liberals aren't the ones who deny science and worship some imaginary being in the sky, speaking of people who ignore facts. And once agin, you prove that you have nothing of value to add to a conversation.

Christ. Don't be thick. You know that I'm talking about this ridiculous topic.

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Seattle has a rate of 13.1%, not that great IMO.

San Fransisco is better but real estate prices prohibit anyone from living there realistically unless they are way above the federal poverty level. But if you look just across the Bay to Oakland and Richmond the rates are 17%, and Berkely, one of the most liberal places in the entire USA has a rate of 21%

Then you take Dallas, which by the way hasn't elected a republican mayor since 1987 I believe, and it's poverty rate is the same as Seattle's. So do you want to try again? Either Dallas isn't all that bad, or Seattle is. Take your pick!

Cherry pick your cities all you like, but I'm seeing a strong trend here.

SLC

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sorry, what truth is that? My question to the OP is: what comes first, the chicken or the egg? And using Detroit as an example, are you saying that the sole reason for its industrial decline is because of its various mayors over the years?

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It has to be!!! It's definitely not because it's the motor capitol of the US and lots of car companies are having to fire workers and are going bankrupt.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Totally lost. Heading back to the corner where it's safe to watch. :)

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do you have good examples of rich Republican cities? How about rich Republican rural areas?

Don't know how you could be lost, but do what you want.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's a larger discussion to be had about global outsourcing, de-industrialisation, education, state and federal governments, the rise of the sun belt... as well as the stagnation of wages for the middle-class over the past 20 years. But instead, the OP's argument is extremely lazy and selective partisan thinking.

The causal relationship between politicians and the relative wealth of their constituencies isn't as straight-forward as the OP would like us to believe. The argument reminds me of my rock that I use to keep away tigers.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. Don't expect your post to be understood though. People don't like to think. They like to break everything down to the black and white. It's easier that way.

22. iGary Guest

iGary

In your opinion? It's #63 in the nation--53 places out of the top 10 the OP posted--according to the Census Bureau. You can say it's "not that great" all you want, but Seattle is far and away from the cities we're talking about.

Well since you decided to go by "Still, if you look at LA's past mayors it's been pretty much evenly split between Republican and Democrat for the past 107 years" I decided to keep it fair and look at the last 100 years, not the last 20.

The majority of Dallas' mayors over the last 100 years have been Republican and yet it's a filthy, dirty, poverty-stricken city, according to the Census.

Do you want to try again or keep changing around the basis of our discussion to suit your point of view instead?

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you suggesting that correlation and causation are the same thing? :confused:

And wow... the level of "maniacal hatred" of liberals in this thread is off the charts...

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Dallas's poverty rates are equal to Seattle's, Seattle has a rate of 13.1% while Dallas has a rate of 13.3%. So which is it? Filthy dirty poverty stricken, or pretty nice and 50 some odd spots from the top 20?

SLC

25. iGary Guest

iGary

You tell me.