Powell endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by scotthayes, Oct 19, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Still waiting for a link but on Meet The Press website.

We have to wait until 10pm in the UK to see meet the press.

Good endorsement for Obama.

2. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Colin Powell, the Bush former Secretary of State?

3. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/19/colin.powell/index.html

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting development.

6. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

A huge endorsement for Obama and palin gets slapped down at the same time. Couldn't ask for more.

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

As soon as I heard the new I turned on Fox and Alisyn Camerota had tears in her eyes announcing the breaking news. Fair & Balanced!

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I read Powell's bio, twice, and everything in it shows me that Powell is a moderate Republican just like McCain. They are both decorated Vietnam war heroes. They both have a history of sometimes voicing their differences with the GOP.

I am stunned, but happy to hear that. Though I am a democrat, I have admired Secretary of State Powell in almost everything he did, except being the mouthpiece of the administration when going into Iraq for weapons of mass destruction. I know Powell has publicly regretted his role, a very key role, in getting the US into Iraq and trying to get the UN's blessing.

Maybe this is a way for Powell to repair his once stellar public image.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If you look at the two choices only 1 is really viable and thats Obama/Biden. After 8 years of Bush, McCain shouldnt even be considered simply on the fact he is republican and Palin isnt qualified to be President by any stretch of the imagination. Powell is making a logical choice.

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

How great would it be if Obama picked Powell to be Secretary of State again?

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Hey, if I were a republican, as I assume most on Fox are, I would be crying, too. Powell jumping the fence would be like Kennedy or Pelosi endorsing McCain. Powell is not just some nobody republican.

In the 90s, I did hear rumors about Reagan voting for Clinton but could not find any proof but the topic was explored on CNN and Fox and many pundits thought it was possible since the GOP after Reagan took a hard turn to the right and sucked up too much to religion and ditched Wall Street. Nancy Reagan herself voiced Ronnie's last opinions stating that he did not go after Roe v. Wade once he got into the White House, but focused on the economy and business interests.

12. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Wouldn't be best use of Powell. He'd be much better off picking Bill Richardson as Secretary of State. If he could use Powell, then he would be best used as a sort of roaming Ambassador. Would allow Obama to send Powell to places like Iran, North Korea etc to lay the ground for talks between the them and the USA

EDIT: So funny watching fox news, Can't believe they are trashing Powell.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

As much as I like Powell, he has been damaged from his association with W, the lowest rated President in history. Nobody who had a key role in the Bush administration will ever have a future in American politics. They would have to move to the moon to ditch the stigma put on them.

I can see some unknown Bush staffer getting into a future administration somewhere but Powell, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Libby, and Rove have too much baggage for any further political career. How many of Nixon's key Watergate people ever held a political position after Watergate?

14. yoppie macrumors 6502a

:D I like this endorsement.

Hooray for Colin Powell and Barack Obama. What a wonderful start for today.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

this will help Obama for sure .. while Powell's reputation is still strained from the UN "why we have to invade iraq" show, he sure is one of the more respected former members of the Bush staff

16. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I don't know if he will pick him for Secretary of State again, but I think that Powell will play a big role in an Obama Administration. Powell resigned at the end of Bush's first term because they did not see eye to eye on many foreign policy decisions. Powell was not a rubber stamp for the Neocon agenda. People have tried to say foreign policy experience is one of Obama's weaknesses, however I know he will put good people like Powell and Biden around to help advise him.

This actually makes me feel much better about voting for Obama as a moderate Democrat. I think this endorsement will also do a lot to help encourage moderate Republicans and Independents to vote for Obama.

This endorsement will impact the race much more then partisan ones do. When you get an endorsement from a moderate Republican who is not only a retired General, but also a former Secretary of State, that means a lot.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I respect Powell but am deeply disappointed in his UN speech. But most of my fellow liberals will not forgive Powell. Our entry into Iraq could very possibly be the worst foreign policy blunder in US history. I can't think of a better campaign for terrorist membership than our involvement in Iraq. At least with the disasterous Vietnam, one could say we were fighting communism, despite some weaknesses in that argument. But what reasoning can America give to history over the huge assault on Iraq? WMD? 9/11? Even W concedes those were not accurate reasons and he conveniently attacks the CIA on that one, the same CIA that told him that there were NOT WMDs there and urged him not to invade. Of course, with that, W fired the director of the CIA.

18. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I'd say Secretary of Defense. I think having Powell be Secretary of State and NOT Defense, was EXACTLY the problem. Rumsfeld pretty much screwed Powell over on a lot of his opinions on what we should have been doing to handle Iraq right, and they effectively censured him early on... leading to him not coming back for another 4 years.

BUT, that said... I kind of agree with others, that Powell has a serious credibility problem, springing from his role in the Bush administration. I honestly think cooperating with the administration threw MANY otherwise respectable and capable people under the bus.

~ CB

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while Powell probably has a lot of respect and credibility still, the cynical side of me sees this as a political move. Obama has been up in the polls and it seems to me that he is just going with who he thinks will win for a better chance at a role himself. This isn't to discredit him, but if this was made a month ago or earlier it wouldn't look that way.

In any case, this is good thing, although i don't know if he should be a part of Obama's administration if he should win, but certainly someone to have around or turn to for advice.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I disagree, I saw his interview on this at cnn and he's turned off by McCains not addressing issues and his campaign of throwing Mud and spin. Mud and spin isnt going to solve the mess BushCo has left for the next president.

21. jplan2008 macrumors regular

There are rumors that he made the decision earlier but that it's actually Obama's campaign that wanted him to hold off until now. There are no more debates, and this will be in the news this week, then next week is Obama's 30-minute network buy. This is the time when undecided and sway-able voters are making their decisions -- they're not voting early.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have a lot of respect for Colin Powell, despite his UN speech. His interview on MTP was well reasoned. I believe he struggled with his decision and am glad he chose Obama. If only more people in his position did the same. I'm hardly what one would consider a liberal (unless you're one of those wacko conservatives) but I can't understand what people see in McCain. He's rewritten the text book on how NOT to conduct a campaign.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I thought it was devastating. Fatal.

More so than the Meet The Press clip which is here, but the press conference afterwards was brutal.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I feel the same way, except that as I recall, Powell didn't repudiate his role in that con job at the UN. In an interview, Jon Stewart, of all people, asked Powell if he was sorry for what he said at the UN, and he said no.

That leaves me ambivalent about Powell. I want to say that I think by saying he doesn't regret the UN incident, he's being a good soldier and not questioning or criticizing his commander in chief. But it was disappointing to hear that coming from him, who I consider otherwise to be forthright and honest.

Still, I welcome his endorsement of Obama. It can only help.

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

CBS news, and Powell called it a black spot. He very much regrets the move into Iraq and to his credit, won't blame anybody else for it. He knew he did wrong and he, as Secretary of State, should have done more research.

But it doesn't surprise me that he gave Stewart a different answer. That's politics for you, republican and democrat. As a general, he may be able to say something and stick with it because few will play it back on the news or even care, but when you are a politician, or as high as secretary of state (#5 most powerful American), then you are always under the gun from every group and you have to say as much as you can to make as many people as happy as you can. It is not very different from being Pres. or VP. And after you are an ex-Secretary of State, you will always be called upon as an elder Statesperson until the day you die.