Powell resigns

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
No names flaoted yet. Rather than a name, I'd go with predicting that the nominee will be from the neo-con camp rather than the more moderate possibilities. If the president doesn't want obstructionist non-loyalists in the CIA, I doubt he wants them in his cabinet. SecState Wolfowitz anyone?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Blue Velvet said:
Jumped or pushed?
It's been rumored for several years now that he (Powell) wasn't interested in sticking around for a second term, so I think it's safe to say he "jumped". He's also said that he's going to hang around until a successor is named.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Blue Velvet said:
Jumped or pushed?

Who's the expected replacement?
Probably a little of both. I really don't see Bush "pushing him out" but reports are that his views often seemed to clash with those of several other cabinet members. It's too bad that he's leaving. I think he's a decent guy and a "dissenting" opinion in the cabinet isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

Replacement? Don't have any idea but as long as we are making suggestions, why not this guy?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
He jumped, IMO. He might have stuck around if Rumsfeld had been axed. That would've been a moral victory for his camp within the White House, one which grows smaller every day...

I suspect he'll spend the next couple of years trying to clean up his image and explore a run in 2008.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Thomas Veil said:
Powell's expressed his firm disinterest in running several times.
i just woke up, so that means i'll be a dick for an hour or two. apologies in advance. it's "uninterest."

i suspect ms rice will be interested in this post.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
zimv20 said:
i just woke up, so that means i'll be a dick for an hour or two. apologies in advance. it's "uninterest."
I'd never even heard the word "uninterest" until now, but Dictionary.com defines both words as meaning "lack of interest".

And it's okay for you to be a dick as long as I get to respond with Cheney's favorite epithet. ;) :D

Also, Condoleeza e-mailed me and you're right, she said that your post was very interesting. ;)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
zimv20 said:
i suspect ms rice will be interested in this post.
Assorted pundits have been claiming that she really wants to be Secretary of Defense, but of course that job's not available... yet.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
mactastic said:
No names flaoted yet. Rather than a name, I'd go with predicting that the nominee will be from the neo-con camp rather than the more moderate possibilities. If the president doesn't want obstructionist non-loyalists in the CIA, I doubt he wants them in his cabinet. SecState Wolfowitz anyone?
No, according to the BBC, Wolfowitz is not considered a good manager and would likely be passed up even for a "lesser" position like Secretary of Defense. Condi is the most likely pick and that frightens me.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
IJ Reilly said:
I misunderestimated your disuninterest.
ha!

i stick w/ "disinterested" for "impartial" and "uninterested" for "lack of interest." let us note that "lack of interest" is definition #2 for "disinterest."

same thing w/ skeptical and dubious. dubious' second meaning is skeptical, rendering "i am dubious" technically correct, but i feel it's weaker than "i am skeptical." ms. maureen dowd likes to use that statement in her columns, as some may have noticed.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
zimv20 said:
ha!

i stick w/ "disinterested" for "impartial" and "uninterested" for "lack of interest."
Correct.

same thing w/ skeptical and dubious. dubious' second meaning is skeptical, rendering "i am dubious" technically correct, but i feel it's weaker than "i am skeptical."
Over here, we're sceptical rather than dubyous. :)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Royal Pineapple said:
and the title of secretary of state goes to

Condeleza Rice
... and it sounds like the guy who's currently the Deputy National Security Advisor (sorry, can't recall his name at the moment) will get her old job.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Lyle said:
... and it sounds like the guy who's currently the Deputy National Security Advisor (sorry, can't recall his name at the moment) will get her old job.
Hadley.