Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Yeaaah!

LaMerVipere said:
Let the Power Mac G7 rumours begin!

Nice I got my iBook G4 at the last release... I'm already saving for my PB G6 ...
:p

I can't wait to have my hands on that baby... :cool:

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
ok so this may or maynot hav any relevance to apple and/or the g5 at all now if it was a power 5 derivative (975/980) then it would be news

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
AmigoMac said:
Nice I got my iBook G4 at the last release... I'm already saving for my PB G6 ...
:p

I can't wait to have my hands on that baby... :cool:

Yeah right, the second you touch it your hand would catch on fire.

// narco

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I bet this means they won't have a powerbook G5, it will be a powerbook G6!
If the speed is faster, I bet a lot of super computers can be built with less CPUs, space, and heat in the future from Apple.

Also iDVD won't take hours to encode 2 hours of material on a Power5+ class machine. Perhaps Microsoft will develop Windows for the Power5 and switch from Intel. That would be so funny.

rotorblade

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Time to Upgrade

If this roadmap is even remotely indicative of what we might expect to see from Apple with regard to the future of the G series processor, it looks as though 2006/2007 will be the timeframe I replace my then aging 2x2 G5.

3 years of use before an upgrade. Works for me!

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
javabear90 said:
So does this mean a G6 or a Powerbook G5? :rolleyes: Or even a G7

I am sure we will get them next tuesday, along with a new Tablet, a cheap headless powermac g5, and the next apple invention which is the best thing since sliced bread...

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Corozive said:
and they will have a new feature where you can turn your liquid cooling off and fry an egg on your G7 :confused:

I'd rather have the coolant pipes come out of the tower and wrap around my coffee mug as a coffee warmer/coaster.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
I remember solid state physics courses where the topic was the band gap of semiconductors. In Silicon semiconductors, the electrons can be brought from the lower to the higher energy band via thermal energy. When the electrons go back to the lower energy band, this energy is release, also in the form of heat (thermal energy).

In GaP semiconductors though, this is optical energy. :eek:

So, which would you rather have it? A Powerbook G8 where you suffer 3rd degree burns when you move the mouse, or a Powerbook G8 where you have to wear sunglasses. :cool:

M

må¥å

Me want G8 ;)

Frohickey said:
I remember solid state physics courses where the topic was the band gap of semiconductors. In Silicon semiconductors, the electrons can be brought from the lower to the higher energy band via thermal energy. When the electrons go back to the lower energy band, this energy is release, also in the form of heat (thermal energy).

In GaP semiconductors though, this is optical energy. :eek:

So, which would you rather have it? A Powerbook G8 where you suffer 3rd degree burns when you move the mouse, or a Powerbook G8 where you have to wear sunglasses. :cool:

As long as it can encode a 2h DVD in 5 mins I am in, I can always wear shades and oven mitts ;) :D :cool: ;)

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
The Power6 info seems a little out of line with past IBM policy.

Power4 - 180nm
Power4+ - 130nm
Power5 - 130nm
Power5+ (not out yet, but mentioned in IBM docs) - 90nm

IBM tends to introduce new processors on mature manufacturing processes, and new manufacturing processes with mature processors. Doing both at once seems terribly risky for the reliability obsessed server market.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Macrumors said:
Appleinsider points out a slide that appeared on a Japanese news site.

The slide appears to provide a roadmap for IBM's Power Processors into 2006, with the Power 5 due this year, Power 5+ in 2005 and Power 6 in 2006.

The Power5+ appears to represent a die shrink to 90nm, while the Power6 is at 65nm.

wonder how they'll make it into 65nm. they already had massive problems with the 90nm process :p maybe they kinda got it figured all the way through to 65nm when they discovered how to make the 90nm chips. no? the article didn't say anything about the release date. guess it's at least a year and a half before we'll have them inside macs if ever..(?)

FPiMacUser

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2004
Cocoa, Florida
Power PC Roadmap

Copyright on the IBM PowerPC Roadmap is 2003. Looks like everything is about a year off. Should expect 65nm chips late this year or early next, don't you think?.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
All the more reason why we needed the liquid cooling now. So onward to the G6, the sooner the better.

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
G7

This means my headless dual processor G7 imac for under 500 dollars will be a reality!

okay, I was a lot late, but I had to go to work.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
dragula53 said:
This means my headless dual processor G7 imac for under 500 dollars will be a reality!

okay, I was a lot late, but I had to go to work.

Hey, if you had a g7 iMac for less then $500, who needs it to be headless?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I see nobody asked for a translation, yet.

Originally posted by M.Isobe:

Title: Future Direction of Processor: The Evolution of POWER Architecture

- Performance Leadership by Already Shipped POWER Architecture Processors
- Leading Semiconductor Fabrication Technologies,
- Clear Roadmap of POWER Architecture,
- (zSeries Architecture will be improved in parallel with POWER Architecture.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.