Power adapter failing+Airport failing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by namkcuR, May 28, 2011.

1. namkcuR macrumors newbie

So, I've got two problems with my white summer 2007 macbook:

1. The power adapter appears to be failing. This has been going on for a few months, but has gotten much much worse over the last week or two. Sometimes the green light on the plug(that connects to the macbook) will just fade until it's out, and the macbook won't receive any power. Sometimes the green light will stay on for a bit, but the battery icon in the finder bar doesn't change to the ac icon. Sometimes, the macbook will receive power but the battery won't charge. I find that if push up a little on the plug(from the bottom), that the power stays on longer. I've had this macbook for nearly four years now, and this issue only started in recent months, and has gotten to the point in the last week where it(the power adapter) will barely function(I'm on battery power right now). So, the obvious solution is to buy a new adapter - my question is, is there any chance the internal power supply of the macbook could be failing, or can I be sure it's the power adapter?

2. Like I said, I've had this macbook for nearly four years, and in that time, I've rarely had problems connecting to my wireless access point. Some issues here and there, but never anything chronic like what has been occurring in the past couple weeks. The connection will just cease in the middle of a browsing session, all four bars on the airport indicator on the finder go blank. I can then try to connect to my wireless network 10 times in a row before it connects again. Sometimes turning airport off and then back on helps, sometimes unplugging and replugging my access point helps, but sometimes neither helps and I just have to keep trying and trying until I connect again. This has only started recently, the past few weeks. Is it possible my airport adapter is failing? If so, can I get an external wireless adapter to replace it? If my airport adapter isn't failing, does anyone have any advice about how to fix this problem? I've heard people say to change the channel the airport listens on, but I can't figure out how to do that(plus, I don't know why I'd need to after four years of no major issues). Also, is it possible that the wireless issues could be related to the power issues from #1?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

In regards to #1, bring it in to an Apple Store. Make an appointment with a Genius and have him look at it. I'm guessing that you have an older MagSafe adapter (one with the "T" shaped plug). Take a look at the plug to see if there's any charring or burnt spots. If so, get it replaced ASAP. I took mine to an Apple Store and they did some tests on the Macbook and then sent me out with a brand new MagSafe adapter, for free. I was way past my warranty too.

As for #2, I'm guessing that your router is shot. To check to see if it's the router or the MB, see if you can find another hotspot to test your MB. Alternatively, if you have other wifi devices, test them on your router's network. Unless I missed something in your post, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that your router is shot.

3. namkcuR thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's a MagSafe adapter. I don't see any charring or burnt spots. I'm going to get a new adapter, I'm just worried the problem might not be the adapter...but, if the internal power supply was failing, wouldn't the battery also not work?

If by router, you mean the wireless access point(I have a wireless access point connected to a wired router), I've thought of that too, but there are other laptops in the house that aren't having any issues with it that I know of.

4. namkcuR thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to also mention - one of the pins on the plug(it is indeed a T plug) is pushed in where the others are not. I can't remember if it's supposed to be that way. I don't remember ever forcibly pushing the plug into the socket.

Also, while there isn't any charring or burnt spots on the plug, there are dark grey/black-ish spots all around the pins in the socket in the macbook, but I would assume that's just from wear-and-tear, from being plugged and unplugged for four years.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think it's teh adapter and not the internal power supply. But stranger things have happened.

OK, then maybe you have other issues. But just for giggles, see if the MB can keep a connection on a different wifi network.

It's not supposed to be like that. I do remember that when my original MagSafe was flaky, that the little pins were "sticky". Sometimes they'd be out, sometimes they'd be in.

Without seeing the spots, I'd be willing to bet that you have charring. On mine, it was on the adapter. Sounds like yours is on the MB. Either way, I'd be very surprised if they didn't give you a new adapter on the spot.

At the very least, set up a Genius appointment and bring your stuff in. They'll do a test and a physical inspection. If they think it's charring, you'll get a new adapter. If not, then at least they would have determined whether the problem was the adapter or the MB.

In the unlikely case where they give the MB a clean bill of health and not give you a new adapter, make sure you buy the MagSafe for the Macbook Pro. It costs the same and will work just fine for your MB. If you end up buying a new MBP, it'll work for that as well (whereas the MB adapter won't charge a MBP).

while your there, have them check out the Airport as well.

6. namkcuR thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I ended up ordering a new power adapter wholesale from the amazon marketplace, and after using a gift certificate, I only paid $9. (The nearest Apple Store to me is an hour away, inconvenient).

This new power adapter is the newer one, with the sleeker "L" design. At first I was concerned this wouldn't work with my 2007 macbook, but it seems like it is working. The only issue is, I use my macbook in "clamshell" mode a lot of the time, and now, when I plug in my external display and close the lid, the light on the power adapter dims almost completely, and on the finder bar, the power indicator says it's receiving power from the adapter, but the battery isn't charging. When I unplug the external display and open the lid, the light comes back on on the power adapter and the battery starts charging again. Any thoughts on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Also, is there anything else I should be aware of using a newer model power adapter with my older macbook?

P.S. For anyone that's used both models of the magsafe adapter, does the newer one get hotter than the older one? This new one seems kind of hot to me. The whole left side of the keyboard feels hot.