Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iknowsomestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
The next rev of Power Macs will ship with Serial ATA.

When the new Serial ATA drives hit the channel in the next few weeks, the Power Macs will be announced.

http://www.seagate.com

You will notice that no one has any stock of Serial ATA drives yet.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Do you actually KNOW something or is this pure speculation?

For example: I know that serial ATA transfers at 150MB/second but... to my knowledge... Apple has never used a Seagate Drive in the powermac. Am I wrong? Maxtor was at MWSF.. but Seagate was not.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Didn't you see his username, "iknowsomestuff"? Obviously he knows some stuff.

In that case, I should change my username to "TheG5WillBeReleasedTomorrow." :rolleyes:

BJNY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
New York City
Originally posted by cr2sh
but... to my knowledge... Apple has never used a Seagate Drive in the powermac.

I've since sold it, but the 60GB inside a MDD Dual 1GHz was a Seagate Barracuda IV.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by BJNY
I've since sold it, but the 60GB inside a MDD Dual 1GHz was a Seagate Barracuda IV.

It came stock? I stand corrected. I think they are better drives than Maxtors and I'd be happy to see it... but something tells me that the PowerMacs are waiting on more than a harddrive.

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
Nice

This seems to open the door to simple RAID implementation in the towers. I've never inquired about his in Power Macs, is this possible hardware and software wise?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Nice

Originally posted by yosoyjay
This seems to open the door to simple RAID implementation in the towers. I've never inquired about his in Power Macs, is this possible hardware and software wise?

PMs already have software RAID available, and if you want a hardware RAID you can just by a controller card. Or did I misundersand what you were saying?

Lethal

mozez

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2001
for anyone reading who does not know, serial ata uses a different connection that is smaller, serial ata is cheaper to make, much faster, can chair more devices, and is a more secure data transfer, less corruption in files. it would be spectacular if they put these in the new powermacs.serial ata is the future of hard drives. oh, and it consumes less power and produces less heat.

BJNY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
New York City
Originally posted by mozez
for anyone reading who does not know, serial ata uses a different connection that is smaller, serial ata is cheaper to make, much faster, can chair more devices, and is a more secure data transfer, less corruption in files. it would be spectacular if they put these in the new powermacs.serial ata is the future of hard drives. oh, and it consumes less power and produces less heat.

How reliable are Serial ATA mechanisms compared to IDE and SCSI?
I noticed that Seagte only offers a one year warranty.

Akira

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2002
The Netherlands

How reliable are Serial ATA mechanisms compared to IDE and SCSI?
I noticed that Seagte only offers a one year warranty.

one year warranty yeah, but didn't maxtor do the same, cutting the warranty on their IDE HDs back to one year?

Anyway, as far as I know the one year warranty thing only applies to non-EU sales since the one year warranty is illegal according to EU regulations.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by mozez

Serial ATA maybe faster, but that won't make a dang freak of difference until we get faster HDDs. Putting a current HDD (which doesn't even push ATA66) onto Serial ATA will result in a speed increase of 0.

Lethal

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Here's a simple way of understanding drives vs. interfaces.

An ATA drive is a golf cart. It has the same top speed on a path (ata66), a road (ata100), an expressway (ata133) or a freeway (serial ata).

Two golf carts will clog the path, and have to slow down, but two golf carts won't clog the road, expressway or freeway.

Until drives become something faster (cars), as LethalWolfe said, it will not matter, unless you have two drives on an ata66 bus.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by cr2sh

In that case, I should change my username to "TheG5WillBeReleasedTomorrow." :rolleyes:

No! Don't! That would be a nightmare - we all know tomorrow never comes!

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
In all of the posts so far about Serial ATA, it seems that everyone forgot to mention one of its best features - hot swapability.

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
Serial ATA would be a good move for Apple, whether they should introduce it before parts become widespread is the difficult bit.

Also if you look at http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,,564,00.html you'll notice one of the features of the Barracuda Serial ATA V is:

SoftSonic (TM) FDB motor: Quietest acoustics on any desktop drive

Perhaps if Apple can get the quietest fans too the next PM could be whisper quiet :)

JustAGuy

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LotusLand
Of course, since the fans are louder than the HD by several orders of magnitude, Apple could put in a Seagate hard disk containing "InfiniLoud(tm) Technology" that's "sounds like 15 ball bearings being shaken in a tin can" and no one would probably notice...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

the dual ghz has a deskstar byt ibm. i cant recall ever seeing one in a computer. all i have seen is quantam, western digital, ibm, and maxtor. i will look at all the other macs tomorrow.

iJon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

Attachments

• picture 3.jpg
    picture 3.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 382

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Apple uses Seagate

If you custom configure a Power Mac with SCSI hard drives those drives will be Seagate. At work we have a 933 with 3 72GB Drives and those are all Seagate Cheetahs.

I think they use IBM for the standard configs, though.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Apple uses Seagate

Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
If you custom configure a Power Mac with SCSI hard drives those drives will be Seagate. At work we have a 933 with 3 72GB Drives and those are all Seagate Cheetahs.

I think they use IBM for the standard configs, though.
but on the other guys it said seagate on that ata bus, if it was a scsi wouldnt the hard drive be on the scsi card in the pci section of apple system folder. im just guessing. anyone else with these machines want to look. doesnt macbandit have this machine.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.