power outage on my neighborhood block, mac plugged in but not powerd on during outage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Will this have done any damage? The macbook pro was not powered up, but I had the the mac ac adapter plugged into a power strip with the magsafe adapter connected to the laptop, since I keep it plugged into ac all the time at my desk. The power strip was on while the power outage happened. I had the 3 prong extender cord of the magsafe plugged into the power strip. The power outage was due to a problem with some power lines in my neighborhood, not from a surge of overuse of fuses in my home, so my whole block was without power for about 2 hours.

I did notice the power strip has always had 2 lights on; one red, not protected, & one green, grounded. The outlets in my room are only 2 prong, so I have a 2 to 3 prong adapter plugged into the wall that the power strip plugs into. I know this is not the best, but my house is a 1950's era house, & I do not have the knowledge & have safety concerns about trying to convert my bedroom outlets to 3 prong.

I hope this did not cause damage to my macbook pro. Is there anything I need to do before powering the mac on to use the next time? besides convert my 2 prong outlet to 3 prong? will there be any static charge? this outage happened on a very hot & dry day in my area.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to be fine and so will your computer.

3. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

If it caused damage there wouldn't be anything to do before turning it on. That is very bad... you might as well plug it into the wall. Unless the two to three prong converter is grounded like its supposed to be(thats what the little metal tab is for) then the surge protector is worthless.
    Now the surge probably didn't cause any damage, but you would have to power it on to see.

Need to do something about those outlets! That can be bad for a lot of appliances, besides making surge protectors worthless.

4. goMac macrumors 603

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

how do I ground it without shocking myself? it is a bit awkward to get to, the outlet is behind my desk. The faceplate is loose on the outlet & I am afraid of trying to remove it, getting a shock.

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

i really couldn't help you ground a whole outlet. The adapter thing though, has a little metal ring. If you can connect that to something metal thats big.(Pipes are good)

If your messing with an outlet turn off the power ;)

7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

8. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Power outage doesn't alway = a surge. 99 % chance that your fine. :p