Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-All, any...

I've just ordered some EL wire to spruce up my Quicksilver (the smooth, clear handles beg for it) and I have a question.

According to the power supply label, there are several power busses, what I'm interested in is the 12v bus so that I may use it to power the EL wires.

Which bus(s) are powered with 12v? My guess is the drive busses, but then again, that's a guess.

Can anyone advise?

Oh, BTW- is there any interest in a picture once I get it done? If so, I'll post it.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i have no idea what bus you want, but i am very interested in seeing pictures! i'm sure MacSnaps would love to have them posted there as well...

i've often thought about illuminating my quicksilver behind the plastic side panels because i noticed that light does show through them.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i have no idea what bus you want, but i am very interested in seeing pictures! i'm sure MacSnaps would love to have them posted there as well...

i've often thought about illuminating my quicksilver behind the plastic side panels because i noticed that light does show through them.

-mnkeybsness

Actually, that's similar to what I have in mind. I ordered two EL wires from FrozenCPU to be placed around the outside of the aluminum hard case, just under the lip of the outer decorative paneling on either side of the tower. This would cause the wire to become exposed as it passes under the corner handles. It's a pretty easy mod, all I have to do is drill little groove-guides at the base of the ovular structual supports of the the clear handles so that the wires run directly under them (I could go around the ovular structures, and drill no groove-guides, but I want the light to travel into the handle acrylic as much as possible for effect).

All I need to know is where inside I can plug the power units into.

The power units use molex connectors just like those on the HD power bus - ergo my assumption.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Thanks vniow

Ok guys, here it is. I actually did this in under and hour with no holes drilled and only one little piece of scotch tape.

It's nothing very involved but here you go.

Oblique angle.

Attachments

• oblique.jpg
    oblique.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 471

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Close up of one of the corners showing how the EL wire is strung behind the ovular corner support.

Attachments

• corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 442

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
patrick-
that looks really cool. how much cable did you use for it? and did you use the sound activation module? i'm really interested in doing this to my quicksilver. any tips would be appreciated...i'm looking into that manual that vniow posted right now...

thanks

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
patrick-
that looks really cool. how much cable did you use for it? and did you use the sound activation module? i'm really interested in doing this to my quicksilver. any tips would be appreciated...i'm looking into that manual that vniow posted right now...

thanks

-mnkeybsness

I was really surprised how easy this mod was to to, and I'm glad that it is completely reversible with no permanent alteration.

I ordered two wires, each was 5 feet long and came with their own inverter with the sound activation setting, so yes, I can flip the switch.

However, I am using only one inverter as it is a double header, to power both wires. I also used the entire length of both wires.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-I had to do some jury-rigging as I didn't have a free MOLEX connector (I have three hard drives). Here, you can see the 'piggybacking' I did by popping off the back cover of MOLEX P5 and insering the inverter power wires.

Wires highlighted...

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 381

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Here is the inverter, switch out so that changing it over to sound-sensitive is easy.

Note that I mounted the inverter in the useless space above the CD drive. You can see the power wires from MOLEX P5 leading to it on the left.

Inverter highlighted...

Attachments

• inverter.jpg
    inverter.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 234

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Here's the big one.

This entire mod is held in place by tension - mostly at the corners. Tension is important to keep the glow consistant. If there is a slight bend the lighting may not be as bright.

Attachments

• wireguide.jpg
    wireguide.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 244
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.