Power Support Anti-Glare Film: Am I The Only One Who Thinks It Sucks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thiagos, Apr 17, 2009.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Ok, so I just received my Power Support Film for the 17" MacBook Pro. I was able to successfully apply it without any bubbles. The application was simple and flawless.

Turned my screen on and it is not what I expected, in fact, the true Matte Screen does not look this bad, it is so bad that I am tempted to peel it off.

I used to own the old 17" MacBook Pro with a Matte Screen. I decided to buy the new one with glossy screen in hopes to convert it to matte with this film, since I like the black border much more than just the silver bezel.

Pictures with different colors seem to look ok but whites look horrible. I mean browsing safari, checking my e-mail, I can't help but notice this horrible rainy looking dots. It honestly looks like the thick film it comes on plasma tvs to protect the screen during transit.

Am I the only one hating this thing? I am beginning to think that the reviews I found online to be fake.

Thoughts?

2. jlan macrumors newbie

I've had the Power Support anti-glare film on my uMBP15 for a couple of weeks and don't have any problems with it. Unless you're doing any professional photo or video, the grainy effect shouldn't be a problem. Yes, the graininess is noticeable on light, especially white, colors, but the reduced glare and reflections are a HUGE tradeoff for me.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...unfortunately you get what you pay for... if you already spent for the 17" MBP, why not get the anti-glare screen option for another "drop in the bucket" cost....

4. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

As I mentioned, I like the black bezel around the screen. And the reason why I bought it (the anti-glare film), was because of the stelar reviews I have been reading online.

As for doing professional video and photos, I thought that was the main reason why people bought this anti-glare film?

5. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

No one else has had experiences with these anti-glare films?

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

There was another member on here who I saw at the Apple store after he had it installed.

I personally haven't seen what one looks like, but I would assume it looks the same as the anti-glare for iPhones. If that is the case then I can agree with you that things don't look good...everything tends to show up blurry and grainy.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

You made a decision heavily influenced by the black bezel :rolleyes:

You got your black bezel to now enjoy.

Purchase decision criteria need to be thought through due to the tradeoffs.

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The advantage on an iPhone is reduced fingerprints and skin oil. I wouldn't put up with it on a Macbook.

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I used to have the power support anti-glare film for my 15" but I refund it because of bubble and sticker reasons. I'm a perfectionist and just the fact of having bubbles and the imperfection of sticking this to the display is a trade off.

I hate stickers.

10. steffi macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" version. Started to apply it and then saw how bad it was that I took it off and returned it to Apple for a full refund.

It's garbage if you ask me.

11. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Honestly, i hate stickers because once you stick to it, you cannot freely remove it after. Once removed, the sticker lose it's stickiness and dust get sticked instead. Also, it's non washable.

12. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Power Support Anti-Glare Film SCAM

The anti-glare film is not what I expected and I refuse to pay $50 for something that probably costs less than a $1 to make.

So I have been attempting to contact Power Support since last friday. I called them on Friday afternoon and left a voice message stating that I would like to return this item for a refund. No call back.

On sunday afternoon I e-mailed them which they stated that it takes up to 24 hours for a response. No response.

It is now monday night, I cannot get through to their customer support number nor are my e-mails responded.

Although I would hate to call my credit card company to dispute $50,is there any other way I could get a refund for this thing?

This is a complete scam. I know it is a private person who owns it and probably ships from his own home, I should have already gotten a response by now.

Any suggestions?

13. jlan macrumors newbie

Cry me a river. Why would you buy the glossy 17" uMBP instead of the matte version when you actually wanted the matte. Because of the bezel? Boohoo. Of course an anti-glare film will not be any comparison to a true matte screen.

As I mentioned in the other thread and even another thread on the same topic, this film does it's job. Reduces the glare with mild loss in image quality. If you were expecting the film to miraculously turn your glossy into a true matte screen, then do some homework.

14. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Hey, no one is crying here, all I did is ask how people liked their film on the first thread and what I should do to get a response from this company.
    Thank you.

15. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Luckily I refunded mine at my local Apple Store longtime ago. I hated it.

16. aleni macrumors 68020

i peel it off after one day of use. it's totally a wasted money. to make me feel not so bad, i put it on the window that shows glare on the screen behind my desk. LOL.

17. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

LOL that's a good idea. Maybe the reason why they are not getting back with me is because they know how crappy this thing is and think I am just gonna forget about it.

18. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

when has a plastic film on the screen ever worked out good? even the ones that go on phones and ipods make them look like crap

19. steffi macrumors 6502a

The ones for the iphone aren't that bad. I've got one on mine and I hardly notice the difference.

However, if you compare say the Power Support one for the iphone vs the one you get with Agent 18 cases the difference is night and day.

The Agent 18 case ones which look terrible are very like the effect that the Power Support film for the MacBook Pro's looks like.

20. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I tried Agent 18 and it was worst then the Power Support one. Terrible :mad::mad::mad:

21. RelievedSimplet macrumors member

"As for doing professional video and photos, I thought that was the main reason why people bought this anti-glare film?"

No, a professional would have bought the matte 17" and dealt with a silver border instead. Not trying to "flame" you or anything, but buying it with the matte screen is the only option. All of the films suck in one way or another. Then again I'm not hearing good things about the new matte screen, so who knows. At least with Apple you'd have had support.