Power Tool Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by calearne, Aug 1, 2013.

?

Who do you like and why?

1. Skil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bosch

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Ryobi

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Ridgid

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Makita

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  6. Dewalt

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  7. Milwaukee

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. Craftsman

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  9. Porter-Cable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. OTHER, If your brand is not included on the list then choose this.

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. calearne, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

calearne macrumors member

calearne

Welcome to the Power Tool Discussion Thread!

Here we can discuss power drills, radios, saws, impact drivers, etc.

What tool manufacturer/s do you think are the overall best?

If your brand is not listed in the poll, vote OTHER and explain below.

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you're shopping for a tool you'll use a lot (like a drill), DeWalt or Bosch are the ways to go. If it's a tool you'll only use a few times (like a biscuit joiner), I'd just get something cheap like a Ryobi.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If I were a contractor, I'd definitely go for the very best. But I'm a home owner who only does occasional home repair, I go for the value brand: Ryobi for battery operated and Skil for corded. I would pony up for a Porter-Cable if one is on sale. I would never, ever go break-after-one-use cheap *cough* Chicago Electric *cough*.

If ever a contractor grade impact driver drops into the $100-$120 (I'll be waiting for Satan to skate to work), I would snap one up right away. That is the power tool I use more than any other.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Stay far away from Craftsman power tools. Sure their wrenches are top notch but even those are not built like there were 20 years ago.

Now Ryobi makes a lot of the power tools you buy, they just throw a difference case over it. They are a main supplier of Craftsman and Rigid.

Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker. It is their high end line.

5. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I tend to buy Makita or Bosch. Id love some Festool stuff tho

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

My cordless tools are Ridgid brand. Never had a problem with any of them in the 3 years I have owned them.

I also have some cheap chicago electric tools that are used as "throw away." One is a rotary hammer drill I used to bust up some concrete. I also have an electric wood splitter from there and a wet saw. The wood splitter will get used quite a bit and I will be interested to see how long it will hold up. The wet saw is nice for the price that I paid and so long as it lasts the for the 3-4 jobs I have planned for around the house I will be happy.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

While opinions will naturally vary as to the "best" brand and model of each particular power tool, one thing is pretty much guaranteed:

Don't buy the cheapest one you can find.

You will invariably be disappointed. A sub $50 cordless drill will have a battery pack with insufficient amp-hours to drill more than a few holes. It will have a motor with not enough torque to drive screws into anything denser than sheetrock. And it will have a gearbox that fails within short order.

I've learned from painful experience never to buy cheap tools. Conversely, those times I've splurged and bought the best I could afford, I've been rewarded every time I open my tool chest. The "joy" of saving a few dollars is quickly forgotten - while the bitterness of a poor quality tool seems to last for years.

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

9. calearne thread starter macrumors member

calearne

I bought a Milwaukee combo drill set a couple weeks ago but I had two problems.

#1 They were really heavy.

#2 Both tools smelled like mint cigars.

I just returned my Milwaukee impact combo set for this ridgid set.

The ridgid set is much lighter and doesn't have a weird smell.

It also has LSA (lifetime service agreement) so you get free batteries when the originals die as long as you register.

I checked out the makitas but they had less power and didn't have a battery status indicator.

Why does Dewalt get so much hate?, their new brushless lithium's seem great.

[​IMG]

10. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I cant answer this survey as i own many different tools made by different manufactures. I make my living with power tools so when I buy I tend to buy the best. Mikita cordless drills/impact drivers and Compound miter saws have been my fav. PorterCable routers and reciprocating saws and belt sanders.Bosh jig saws. DeWalt circular saws. I could go on and on but my point is certain companies in my opinion make certain tools better then others. As for Festool, they are the best tool made period. but they come at a high price, tend to be heavier then most others and do not do well bouncing around in the back or a truck. They do come in very nice cases but that creates another problem with space being a premium in my work truck.
    The few Festools i have reside in my shop only. For home owner/weekend warriors most any tool made by Ryobi or other low cost brands will do fine.

----------

Im looking into the new DeWalts with much interest. As for Power ratings I believe that is overrated, when it comes to cordless tools all I want is quick charge and good torque, Makita gives me both.

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

dewalt, one and done.

worked as a contractor, using tools is how i made money. for me, dewalt worked every time and every where i needed them to. several other brands did not. i'm not that deep, i just like doing things the right way one time.

they continue to serve in their new cushy job as homeowner DIY assistants with no complaint.

12. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

All my power tools as of now are from Hitachi, I used to have all DeWalts in my garage, but I seriously looked at Hitachi's and found the build quality to be very very good, better than any DeWalt I've owned.

Now, they're by far the most expensive option out of most power tools, but damn they're made so well. I've owned many going on 5 years now, and not a single one has failed.

The only option I would consider over Hitachi is the DeWalt 32V Line, but despite being 18volts, my Hitachis often have the same torque and comparable battery life.

My wired power tools are also from Hitachi.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

We have a load of contractors working on our house right now. They seem to favour DeWalt.

14. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

To add to what I posted earlier:

For yard tools I prefer Stihl. I loath any yard tool that is corded, and most battery powered ones I have had a chance to use just don't do the job as well as I would like. I have 2 stihl chain saws (MS310 with 16 and 20 in bars and an MS170) that get quite a bit use cutting firewood for use every winter. I have a stihl backpack blower and hedge trimmer. When my current Weed Eater brand weed wip takes a dive I will likely replace it with a stihl. I have a Craftsman Eager edger that is probably 20 years old and still going strong.

15. AhmedFaisal, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  16. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

As a former employee of the manufacturer of a lot of the brands discussed I can tell you that a majority of the tools you've mentioned are made in about 2 or 3 factories in the world. We were the second to third largest manufacturer of power tools in the world. It's all a marketing game.

Craftsman is a nice tool but it's main selling point in the warranty and that makes up most of your cost. They're building the cost of your replacement into the tool you buy.

Bosch is also great but we regularly ripped off their tooling to make cheaper versions for other customers. When you buy Bosch you're paying about 20-30% just for the blue color and the sticker.

Most of the companies you've mentioned are marketing firms similar to Nike. They don't actually make the tool themselves. They have it made, test how they want to (read: not fairly), and then market the crap out of it to get it to sell. A lot of store branded tools like Menards Masterforce will outperform the popular brands.

I've completed the following test first hand.

18V impact driver test to compare box spec. Menards Masterforece, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, I can think of the fifth. Test was driving a 3/8" lag bolt into 8" of oak 4"x4". Only the Masterforce tool could bury the bolt. The others could not make it halfway and also could not remove the masterforce sunk bolt. Masterforce had the lowest listed torque rating of all tools in the test.

I am not, nor was I ever a Menards employee. I despise them but they have some of the best 18V cordless tools on the market. Recently changed to 20V.

17. calearne thread starter macrumors member

calearne

The problem I have with menards is that they don't allow ratings on their website for products.

It's like their trying to hide something.

At least home depot shows ratings plus verified purchasers.

18. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I don't know that they're trying to hide something as much as their just an older company with a lack of technology. Their computer systems are ancient and as you can tell, the website is fairly basic. The fact that they have one is fairly impressive. I understand your concern but wouldn't let it stop you in this case.

19. megant201 macrumors newbie

Found this thread and thought it would be neat to post in it since I love talking about my favourite brand.

Anybody else heard of Metabo? They're a personal favourite of me and my colleagues. Pretty durable little products, really good batteries too. Would look here if you've never seen their specs and for my most recent purchase - it's a really good brand I can't help having falling in love with.

Anybody else invested in anything Metabo?

20. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I use Dewalt and have been impressed with the battery life.

21. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Dewalt

/thread.

Makita has also been good to me. However dewalt never failed me. Have a corded impact drill for the past 15 years, it has lost reverse drive but it still runs like a champ.
    It was mainly used in concrete, hurricane proof walls. I remember once I was drilling and the drill bit kept going in further into the wall or so I thought. When I took it out the drill bit was smoking and grinded down to a nub.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 68040

The-Real-Deal82

I use Dewalt and Hilti for my power tools. You can't really go wrong these days as long as they have li-on batteries.

23. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I'm surprised nobody else said Hilti. They're my favorite for power tools, especially drills. Every construction site I've been on is flooded with Hilti stuff.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 68040

The-Real-Deal82

Indeed I love Hikti too, very good quality and very durable. I got a good discount with my old job and bought 2 18v cordless hammer drills. I sit behind a desk now so they only really get used for DIY these days.

Milwaukee also make very good drills and I have bought several for for current company.