Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Powerbook 15.4" Details?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Macnews.net.tc claims to have some details of upcoming Powerbook 15.4" updates:

The 15.4" screen to be used in the machine will reduce the resolution to 1280*800 pixels. The new PB15 will have Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme and, aren't we lucky, the illuminated keyboard.

15.4 inch Powerbook rumors were spawned by this Digitimes article which indicates that Compal will be providing 15.4" screens for Apple in 2003.

Accuracy of this source is unclear.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
1280x800? That's a bit of a downgrade! (previous was 1280x864). However that appears to be in 16:10 aspect now rather than the 3:2 used by the older PowerBook, so I guess this makes sense.

Comment

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Screens is spelled wrong.

And why make the resolution smaller?

No real reason... Well I hope apple updates this model a little more than bluetooth and extreme... :D

Comment

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I'm assuming (hoping) these new 15.4" PowerBooks will also sport the new Aluminum enclosure? Those paint flakes are bad news. I addressed that issue at one of the Apple Stores and the saleslady sort of side-stepped it. :D

Comment

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
Hmm... I'm going to go to college in the fall of 2003, and am looking for a replacement. Although the 12" PowerBook does seem nice, and meets my needs, I think it might be better to have the 15.4"... The bigger screen would be useful, and I don't think they 'd charge much over $2000 for them... Maybe $2200 or so. It'd be a hard choice...

Comment

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
The 15" Powerbooks desperately need an update. They look cheap and shoddy when set next to the 12" PB in the Apple Store. The double hinge looks weak compared to the single, sturdy one on the iBook and new PBs, and the Titanium doesn't feel or look as good as the aluminum. Funny thing is, the TiBook looked amazing before Apple released the new PBs, but the new designs just blew them away. If the new 15" PBs are introduced, my guess is we'll see new iBooks by summer - maybe with a rumored colored aluminum case.

Comment

fred_lj

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
TX
Whadda mean who's buying the 15" books?

I still think the 15" TiBooks are beautiful machines, especially since I just bought a used 867 TiBook. It will be my first ever G4-based machine after this Pismo I'm on now! Indeed, the AlBooks are beyond gorgeous -- but some publishing pros on the go will want to boot into OS9, something the AlBooks can't claim.

Comment

iAndy

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2003
Hong Kong
Re: Powerbook 15.4

Originally posted by Macrumors
Macnews.net.tc claims to have some details of upcoming Powerbook 15.4" updates:...
OK call me a cynic folks, but the Macnews.net.tc item contained absolutely NOTHING that hasn't been discussed to death on this board a thousand times already. The one newsworthy thing that they might have contributed was an approximate date/guesstimate for the new release of the PB15.4, but instead they resorted to the lame title "Soon:powerbooks". Great reporting Macnews.net.tc, now I know why I never bothered bookmarking your website...

Comment

Zband

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
not impressed

I've been waiting to upgrade my pismo 400 for a couple of cycles now but with the introduction of the Al 17' and the 12'' and the dreaded slower GeForce video cards I will be forced to pick up and older Ti with the Ati radeon in it. I think the glow in the dark keyboard is kick ass- but not worth the slower scrolling geforce cards. I am miffed as to why apple choose these cards in the newer machines.

Oh well- I suspect there wil be a rush to pick up the older Ti giga hertz models after the 15.4's get released.

Comment

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by jholzner
Maybe the reason they are waiting to update it is so that there is at least one powerbook that can still boot OS 9.

I can't find anything on Apple's page about the AluBooks not booting 9. The Power Macs definitly do not boot 9 (Except the sole os 9 system) Does anybody know if this is true or not?

Comment

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
No, no, no, no, no....if a new model is introduced, IT WILL NOT BOOT IN OS 9.

That's why SO MANY PEOPLE -- like me -- bought the current model.

Apple has said -- repeatedly -- that all new Macs introduced this year will boot in OS X *ONLY*.

Comment

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Will the price gap be too big?

What makes me believe this rumor is the suggestion that there will be no 867. That makes sense and I was wondering if that'd be the way Apple goes.

What worries me is that combo drive model will be above 2299 and there'll be too big a gap between it and the 12".

The 2299 price point is very attractive but then I can't see the SuperDrive model above 2699. That leaves a big gap to the 3299 17".

Well, we'll see in a few weeks.

moby1

Comment
I'll take a slightly newer Ti :)

I've been powering around on my Ti800 for awhile now happy as hell!! But... I'd be inclined to swap it out for a 1Ghz Ti with that 64MB Radeon 9000 ;) and maybe a Superdrive :D hehe!!

I'm waiting till they hit the sweet point of $1800-$2200.

my .02 cents.

ps.
never had any paint flake problems and I really use my TiBook constantly... no "special" sleeve or anything like that.

Comment

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
It's true.

Originally posted by Stelliform

I can't find anything on Apple's page about the AluBooks not booting 9. The Power Macs definitly do not boot 9 (Except the sole os 9 system) Does anybody know if this is true or not?

I have the 12" PB. Apple's first OS X only Mac.

Bye, bye 9. We hardly knew ye.

I'm actually thinking of removing the System Folder and Applications (Mac OS 9) folders but then I'm stuck in the future. ;)

moby1

Comment

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by john123

Apple has said -- repeatedly -- that all new Macs introduced this year will boot in OS X *ONLY*.

Actually Apple backed off on that and said that some of them would be able to boot into OS9 but the absolute cut off would be July.

Comment

Glossybear

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
Hollywood CA
Sooner than later

Here is why I think the new powerbook is on its way soon.

I work at University of California at Santa Cruz, and for about a month before the October 7th updates to the portable line, our campus bookstore was blowing out the 800 PB for WAY under retail.

Now they are running a special on the 1Ghz PB w/Superdrive. 2200. with 3 years of applecare.

I figure they get deals from apple when they are trying to lower stocks.

So I figure march we'll find out about the new 15 incher.

Aluminium, Bluetooth, airportX, Superdrive, and DDR are pretty much given right?

But here is my question. will we see speed bumps? Will the have a 1Ghz and 1.25Ghz option? And if so, what does that mean for the 17 inch? does it get bumped too?

And will the iBook get an update/re-design?

Comment

imagick

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2003
Stuttgart, Germany
Re: Sooner than later

Originally posted by Glossybear
But here is my question. will we see speed bumps? Will the have a 1Ghz and 1.25Ghz option? And if so, what does that mean for the 17 inch? does it get bumped too?

I don't think there will be a speed bump - 15" AluBooks will get 1 GHz CPUs (some rumor-sites state that there wont even be a 867 version). And that is to keep the 17" things interesting.
But I think we get enough new features to help us over it. :D I personally am satisfied with the speed of my Ti667 but I desperately want the new casing (and the glowing keyboard ;) )

I think the next speed increase will come with the new Motorola-G4s that most likely need less power and will go up to 1.42 or so GHz.

Comment

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by john123

Actually that's not quite correct. While it is true that the new PowerMacs, and PowerBooks won't boot 9, apparently the new iMacs will.

Basically anything with a new motherboard design, will be X only. And as Steve actually mentioned in his Keynote - The new PB's are X only.

Comment

stewartv

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2002
Bad design change

I hope they don't redesign the hinge...all the cords coming out both sides is LAME!!!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.