Powerbook 15" Questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by deanm3, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. deanm3 macrumors newbie

    Jan 30, 2003
    Hey Everyone,
    I am a PC user who is lusting a new powerbook. I am interested in the 15" 1ghz version, but I had a few questions. Does apple have any plans to update the 15" PB with features such as Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, DDR memory, and Geforce chipset, to match the 12" and 17" versions. I am pretty compulsive, but I would wait on those features if it is going to be anytime soon.

  2. iShater macrumors 604


    Aug 13, 2002
    Re: Powerbook 15" Questions

    I 100% guarantee that Apple will be revamping the mid-sized (15") PowerBook. The questions is when, nobody knows how soon.
  3. t^3 macrumors regular

    Oct 17, 2001
    Welcome to MacRumors! This topic has already been discussed, but since you're new, it's ok. The bottom line is, there will definitely be an update soon to the 15" PowerBook that will bring it in line with the other new PowerBooks. It will come with a slightly larger screen (15.4" vs 15.2" now), but the resolution will decrease slightly (1280x800 from 1280x854) to conform with the 16:10 aspect ratio. Timing is hard to predict, however, but the general consensus is that Apple is waiting until the current TiBooks sell out before the new 15" model come out, which could be anytime from now to around March.
  4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus


    Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    One can only assume that Apple will do this...the question of course is "when?".

    The 15" models just got updated in November so I wouldn't expect anything for a couple of months. Of course, no-one expected the new models in January either...so the simple answer is "Only Apple knows." :/
  5. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

    Jan 8, 2003
    Western Hemisphere
    It's difficult for me to imagine Apple releasing an updated 15" powerbook before most or all of the 17" powerbook orders have shipped. Simply because the specs will be similar and it will be tempting for many 17" orderers to re-think their purchase, cancel and order a 15". Apple would cannablize sales of the Al17 which they don't want.

    Plus the added benefit of clearing inventory of the current 15" while all this goes along.

    My guess is early late march / early april at the absolute earliest. They may even wait and upgrade the 15 and 17 at the same time so that the 15 inherits the current 17" specs and the 17 gets new ones (1.25 Ghz or something). In that case I'd guess 6 months or so.

Share This Page