Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

towson80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
I ordered my PB AL 15" about 5 days after release and got it in mid October.. I have had NO problems whatsoever with this wonderful machine.. am I the only one out there?

No White Spots
No Battery Probs
No Keyboard Probs
No Trackpad Probs
Nothing.

Perfection here.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I still love mine - but I was without it for five days last week while Apple replaced the screen. Yup, the dreaded "white spots" bug had bit my 'Book. They didn't originally show up for several weeks.

Here's hoping the fix was actually a FIX! :)

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I've got a white spot or two, but they're pretty minor. I might take it in sometime, but 5-7 days w/o my computer is huge, so I'm in not rush. Any advice?

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: Powerbook AL 15"

Originally posted by towson80
I ordered my PB AL 15" about 5 days after release and got it in mid October.. I have had NO problems whatsoever with this wonderful machine.. am I the only one out there?

No White Spots
No Battery Probs
No Keyboard Probs
No Trackpad Probs
Nothing.

Perfection here.
I got mine about 5 weeks ago and it is perfect as well. I'm just hoping it doesn't develop white spots way down the road, but if so, I guess they will fix it for me. I'm also digging the fact that I don't have any dead pixels either.

willmg

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Mine was close, a grouping of bad pixels so got new screen, but in the process of installing it they bent my entire front and rear bezel..yeesh! Now its perfect except for one bad blue pixel in the top left corner so close to perfection!!!!!! :(

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
It's true to say that we hear more about the bad machines than we do about the good ones, because people with a beef tend to be more vocal...:p

"Man gets good computer: has no troubles" isn't news.

I think many of the recent problems with an A release machine have overshadowed what a fine range the PowerBooks are.

I had problems with my 17" when it arrived, now it's spot on. I shall now always observe the "Never buy a new model" rule.

Paolo30

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
well mine's all good. first one DOA'd coz of bad screen, but this one is beeyooodeeful.

from the moment i caressed her keys i knew she was the one...

some say 'tis an unnatural union, but we are so happy together. And isn't that all that really matters?

All is forgiven, Steve.

what the world needs now is love, sweet love...

Paolo30

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
er, I may have been a little hasty to post on this one...
...he says while looking at bizarrely backlit screen...
Damn.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
all I hear is bad things anymore about all the apple laptops... this is ridiculous. people pay for a machine so they can use it, not so they can keep sending it into the shop and not using it.

its pathetic...

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
You have to realize that people are much more vocal when something is wrong. Not many people make a thread just to say how perfect their laptop is, but they will to complain when something is wrong. Out of all the tens of thousands sold, we have only heard a small handful of problems.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
I don't even own a powerbook of any kind. I just think that in the situation when one does mess up that the buyer should not have to go without his or her machine for 2 - 3 weeks. apple should have a 24 hour replacement plan. I had canon printer that only had a small power cable connect issue and after calling tech support I had a brand new at my door the next day and the guy took the old one back.

its the simple logic of standing behind a product. honest consumers that pay out good money should NEVER have to wait weeks when it is not their fault, rare problem or not.

there is little enough fairness in the world already.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
If there is a shortage, then how can Apple do that? I had a replacement PowerBook G3 the next day when mine was called in as DOA, but then, there was no shortage of PowerBooks as there is now.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
you're missing the point...

my point is that any of those factors are not the problem of the buyer. its apples problem and the buyer should not have to suffer. besides, apple has a long history of their being a shortage of many of their products. you would think they would learn from that.

don't get me wrong, I love apple but some people suffer because of their short comings. any that have not been sold yet should be reserved for those that have already bought one and need a replacement first and then sold if not needed for that.

I just expect more from apple is all.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I agree and wish that all the people out there who had to send their systems back to Apple and wait wouldn't have to. It'd be nice if there weren't so many shortages, but I guess that is just life. Either way, as long as all of those people get replacements that are what the originals should have been, in the end, they should be happy. I am sure that Apple is doing what they can to get the replacements to everyone, but they are just as victim to supply and demand as the customers out there.

Paolo30

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I agree and wish that all the people out there who had to send their systems back to Apple and wait wouldn't have to. It'd be nice if there weren't so many shortages, but I guess that is just life. Either way, as long as all of those people get replacements that are what the originals should have been, in the end, they should be happy. I am sure that Apple is doing what they can to get the replacements to everyone, but they are just as victim to supply and demand as the customers out there.

Well, yes, they are subject to the laws of supply and demand, as we all are - but they did sell me a machine that did not come anywhere near spec, and replaced that machine with another that doesn't come anywhere near spec, and don't even have the courtesy to try to placate me.

As far as "that's life" being an excuse... it's not. If I said that to a customer I would never see them again. It's business, man, and this is very bad business practice. Especially considering I'm a first time customer with very little in the way of emotional investment (as it seems many mac users have) I have to seriously consider blowing Apple off altogether because of this - I've lost around one and a half grand already (not to mention the time and frustration) and business is business.

I think one of the main reasons you are hearing these very vocal complaints is that Apple is not dealing with them where they should be dealt with - Customer Care - and so we feel as though this is our only recourse, even if it is only to blow off steam. So apologies to everybody with a perfect machine for my very vocal complaints.

I did find it interesting however the kinds of reactions I got when I asked the customer care people how many of the 15" powerbooks were having screen issues..... SILENCE..... and if they had been told not to talk about the PB15 screen issues...... SILENCE.... I guess we'll have to fill in the gaps.

This is BS, pure and simple - arrogance has no place in customer relations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.