Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PowerBook and iBook Developer Notes

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Do these really matter to application developers?

Or is it more for drivers and hardware developers?

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
is this in any way shape or form different from how Apple usually releases information on new builds? i dont remember this happening with previous releases, though for some reason i am sure it must have on a certain level.

neb_greely

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2003
50 W Battery?

I don't remember hearing that they had changed the battery:

Previous Model
46 watt-hours battery
Current Model
50 watt-hours battery

What does this mean? Longer battery life?

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
neb_greely said:

Previous Model
46 watt-hours battery
Current Model
50 watt-hours battery

Maby it's because the processor runs at a higher clock rate, so it uses more power.

The Red Wolf

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Occi Dens Pacifica
Hardware I/O

Developers need to know the terms Apple uses for all of the standard and upgrade equipment on the PowerBooks (or any computer listed this way for that matter). All of us know what FireWire is, but sometimes is necessary for a developer to know that a machine is equipped with 1394 and what revision of the hardware I/O it is. This came into effect when a device runs into trouble such as the FireWire 800 issue with Hardrive Manufacturers.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I have a "windows" key on my Powerbook's keyboard??? What is that for? Virutal PC?

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I thought this was something Apple already did before. It's funny how Airport Extreme is a new feature, the only new part is they dont charge you $99 for it.

Warphammer

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2004
neb_greely said:

Previous Model
46 watt-hours battery
Current Model
50 watt-hours battery

Yep. Question now, of course, is, will it fit the 1/1.25 15"... It's not a gigantic difference, but it'd be nice...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The New Features page, for the 15" model only, has a nice old/new comparison chart, showing changes such as going from a 2x SuperDrive to a 4x SuperDrive. That's where you can see the battery change mentioned above.

Biker21098

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2002
CA
battery

Sure would be nice if the 50 watt fit my now slightly old 1.25 PBook. one can only hope. I love my PBook and I've been able to use it for almost all school year, but i sure am jealous of the 4x burner, and 9700 mobility. Is there really much difference between teh 9600 and 9700?

john86441

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
DVD-RW?

I reviewed the new features for the iBooks and Powerbooks, and clicked on the Superdrive link. It says the new Superdrive now reads and writes to both DVD-R and DVD-RW disks. Why hasn't Apple published this info?

spud

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2004
batterylife

neb_greely said:

Previous Model
46 watt-hours battery
Current Model
50 watt-hours battery

i'm confused...
i think powerbooks run an average of about 60 watts, so with a 50 watt-hour battery a pb would get just barely more than one hour of unpluggedtime.
??

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Warphammer said:
Yep. Question now, of course, is, will it fit the 1/1.25 15"... It's not a gigantic difference, but it'd be nice...

I just did a mock checkout on the Apple Store of a 1.5 GHz 15" alBook with an extra battery. It appeared as a M9325G/A on the resulting order. According to Amazon.com that part number has been available since September 2003. I don't know where Apple got the new battery capacity figure from, but it looks like the identical battery pack as I have in my 1.25 GHz 15" alBook!

I wonder if Apple decided to do some creative number skewing to make the battery look bigger. As you may know, you can play a bit with when you say a battery is fully charged. The 12V lead-acid batteries in cars are totally full when they hit 13.8V, for example. My battery is labelled 10.8V nominal. Apple's new specifications lists the battery as 12.8V nominal. Just making that change could give them a claim of anywhere up to 54.5 Watt-hours, assuming the previously claimed 46 Watt-hours at 10.8V was accurate

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Snowy_River said:
Take a moment to read...

Nay! I like pictures better. Real man don't read instructions.

( :p He sure showed me. My bad. Gotta be more careful. You get eaten alive for showing any sign of weakness/imperfection on these boards. May all those typo-typing fools rest in peace ^_^ Cheers! )

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
Spud, I think you are wrong.

My AC adapter only outputs a max of 48watts, and considering it charges a 48Wh battery in less than 2 hours (24watts), that means the rest of the computer can run on less than 24 watts - probably closer to 10-15W as transformers don't last long if they run at fully capacity for long.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
srobert said:
Nay! I like pictures better. Real man don't read instructions.

( :p He sure showed me. My bad. Gotta be more careful. You get eaten alive for showing any sign of weakness/imperfection on these boards. May all those typo-typing fools rest in peace ^_^ Cheers! )

He he he. No worries, mate. No offense intended. I was only intending to point out that the answer to your question was there...

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Hey, did anyone notice that the ibooks now use a full 512k of 1:1 backside cache? They finally upgraded the G4 to the same revision the powerbooks are using.

klanda

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
Error in iBook Note

There appears to be an error in the iBook note:

Quoting from the note:

Bluetooth: One configuration comes standard with built-in Bluetooth. In other configurations, Bluetooth is available as a build-to-order option. For more information, see “Bluetooth Technology”.

Best I can figure, no iBook configuration comes with BT standard.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

By the way, anyone have any idea what the 'LL' stands for in the following product description: IBOOK 1.2G4/256/60G/SUPER/AP/LL ?

K

PS. Ordered the above iBook. Faithful dog #2 knocked the Pismo off the table last week, killing the ol' girl.

innervision

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2003
californ-i-a
three speakers in the 12" PB

friend of mine told me that he had read that the new 12" had better sound than the previous generation because they added a third speaker. didn't believe him until i saw the diagram which distinctly shows three speakers.

block diagram for 12" PB

pretty nifty

Threnody

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2004
Ottawa
3rd Party RAM

I was just looking at the memory specs, and it looks like standard PC2100 should work. I'm going to be ordering a new iBook G4 in the next couple of days and want to throw another 512MB or RAM in there. How picky is the iBook/Powerbook G4 in taking third party RAM? I'm in Canada, and I've found that the 3rd party RAM made especially for the iBook is a lot more expensive than standard PC2100!

Adam

NatronB

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2002
3rd speaker

innervision said:
friend of mine told me that he had read that the new 12" had better sound than the previous generation because they added a third speaker. didn't believe him until i saw the diagram which distinctly shows three speakers.

pretty nifty

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there always been a 3rd speaker on the 12vy?

-N

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.