Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joseph_68

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Hello,

I just got an Aluminum PB 1.25 GHz, Superdrive model. I have been through 3 full charge and discharge cycles, and now my battery meter won't display a 100% charge (it is stuck at 99%), even when it is plugged in for several hours. Does anyone know what might cause this, and if it is abnormal? Or is there a fix I am missing?

Thanks! :)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
This has happened on 3 of my iBooks, and my Tibook and 17" PowerBook. I think it started with Jaguar, because 10.1 never reported it wrong.

As far as I know, it doesn't cause any problems. It is annoying though...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The battery doesn't start charging until it falls to 95% or less. At 96% or above, its considered full. This is so that if the battery falls to 99%, it doesn't feel that it has to start charing just so that it reads 100% once again. Its quite pointless to do so, since your battery WILL fall to 99% once in a while "for no reason", and charging it from there shortens the battery life. At 96%, it doesn't really have to recharge as often.

Search for this question before you post this topic again. If you do, i assure you that you'll get a better answer than the one I gave you.

barbas

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
Pari, Tuscany, Italy
Battery life

I have a TiPB G4 667Mhz, bought in the summer 2002, running 10.3.2. i have Joseph_68's same problem, plus I recently realized that the battery now lasts only ten minutes, when not connected to A/C, before dying. This obviously makes it impossible to work "on the road"... Does that happen to anybody out there too? :rolleyes: I found an article on Apple site ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449#faq9 ) about resetting Power Management Unit (PMU) but haven't tried it yet...
Thanks

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Even though it says 99%, it is actually 100%. 99%=99.999%. I believe I heard that it is a rounding decimal error in Panther. After I uprgraded to Panther my PB was fully charged at 99% or 99.999%

Congrats on your new PB!

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
barbas said:
I have a TiPB G4 667Mhz, bought in the summer 2002, running 10.3.2. i have Joseph_68's same problem, plus I recently realized that the battery now lasts only ten minutes, when not connected to A/C, before dying. This obviously makes it impossible to work "on the road"... Does that happen to anybody out there too? :rolleyes: I found an article on Apple site ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449#faq9 ) about resetting Power Management Unit (PMU) but haven't tried it yet...
Thanks

This is normal. Your battery is close to two years old. The lithium-ion batteries used normally only last for about 300-350 charges. So, depending on how often you use the battery, it could last as little as 8 months or so. Apple's battery policy is to replace any battery that can't hold a charge of 30 minutes within the first 12 months. After that, it is normal and just has to be replaced.

barbas

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
Pari, Tuscany, Italy
KershMan said:
This is normal. Your battery is close to two years old. The lithium-ion batteries used normally only last for about 300-350 charges. So, depending on how often you use the battery, it could last as little as 8 months or so. Apple's battery policy is to replace any battery that can't hold a charge of 30 minutes within the first 12 months. After that, it is normal and just has to be replaced.

Thanks KershMan for the tip, I should have expected it :eek: at least you saved me time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.