Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homebrew13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Well I have a problem and I am wondering if someone can help me. I am both working on my masters and teaching high school so I qualify for the Education discount. However, my college (one of 4 in the country) that has an extra education discount but only on Mac standard issue machines. I want to purchase the following machine:

• 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory
• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• AirPort Extreme Card
• APP for PowerBook (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit
• 15.2-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $2,583.00

That is the subtotal with a normal education discount. If I choose to not get the upgraded video RAM, turning the machine into a standard issue machine and still includes the APP I can save approximatly $300.00 (everything else stays the same).

So my fisrt question is the extra video card actually worth that much?

My next question is...could I buy the standard machine from school save $300 dollars than take the to a mac store within 10 days and ask them to change the video card and I would pay the difference ~$45 upgrade on the website. Does anyone know if the mac store would be able to do that? Thanks in advance for the advice.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
The video card alone is definitely not worth $300 more... for me the difference was $50, so I went ahead and upgraded to the 128meg one - but for $300 savings I'd say stick with the 64meg card.

However, you might consider upgrading the hard drive to the 5400rpm one, and it's a noticeable improvement over the 4200rpm drive. Barefeats has some comparisons of the video cards and hard drives which will probably help with your decision:

http://www.barefeats.com/pb12.html

And to answer your last question, I'm almost certain that there's no way to upgrade from 64meg vram to 128meg after you purchase the PowerBook.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I would order online and skip the AppleCare until Apple's initial warranty is no longer in effect. Then, you could upgrade to the 128 MB video card ($45) and a single DIMM of 512 MB RAM ($90; for future upgrades). You would save over $100 then, and you will probably have another $150 dollars one year later to buy an AppleCare Protection Plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.