Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
I've spent quite awhile thinking about a powerbook, and with the new Cram and Jam deal, I can't see any reason to wait much longer. The only issue(s) I have is whether to go for the combo or superdrive, and whether or not I should upgrade to the 80gig harddrive. (I'm set on the 12" PB).

So, I'm basically asking for suggestions on whether people think I should spend extra dough on a DVD drive (to burn some DVDs - how many, I don't know as I've never had one before - but also as a backup system for photos and mp3s, both of which I have a LOT of) or if I should instead spend the money on a larger harddrive. (I'm moving from an ancient 30gig Windows machine that's almost entirely full.) Or, if I should just bite the bullet and get both. Any personal experience with an unneeded superdrive? Buyer's remorse with the combo?

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
Seeing as you just said you had a TON of pictures and mp3's on your PC (plus the fact that you'll find adding more on a Powerbook sooo much more enjoyable than on your PC), I think it's a no-brainer to get the larger (and faster) HD. As for the SuperDrive/ComboDrive, I opted for the ComboDrive, figuring I'd NEVER have the need to burn a DVD. Well I just made my first project in FCP, which I'd like to have on DVD, BUT... be aware that CD burning/ ripping is faster on the ComboDrive. Which will you be doing more of? and could you justify spending $200 on something you MIGHT use? Either way, though, you will not be dissapointed.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you could easily find a $200 external DVD burner (faster than the Superdrive) if you found it necessary. That's the reason I opted for the Combo.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
sarae said:
I've spent quite awhile thinking about a powerbook, and with the new Cram and Jam deal, I can't see any reason to wait much longer. The only issue(s) I have is whether to go for the combo or superdrive, and whether or not I should upgrade to the 80gig harddrive. (I'm set on the 12" PB).

So, I'm basically asking for suggestions on whether people think I should spend extra dough on a DVD drive (to burn some DVDs - how many, I don't know as I've never had one before - but also as a backup system for photos and mp3s, both of which I have a LOT of) or if I should instead spend the money on a larger harddrive. (I'm moving from an ancient 30gig Windows machine that's almost entirely full.) Or, if I should just bite the bullet and get both. Any personal experience with an unneeded superdrive? Buyer's remorse with the combo?

I would get the superdrive as long as you seriously plan to make home movies. If you only want it for backup then an external hard drive would be MUCH better. As for the difference between the 60 and the 80 you need to ask yourself will I need those extra 20 Gigs on the road or will it be a better option to get the 60 and then get an external HD for home.

Just some stuff to think about

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
go bigger and better

DVD burning comes in handy, at least for backup. I also like using iDVD alot and I really don't use it for serious things either.

80GB harddrive spins faster i believe, which is a definite advantage aside from just being larger.

If cost isn't that big of an issue get both. If cost does turn out to be an issue, drop the Super and go with the 80GB. HD speed does matter. Alot. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.