PowerBook G4 17" NOW or PowerBook G5 17" LATER?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by diehldun, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

    Nov 15, 2003
    I just read the article regarding the arrival of the PowerBook G5 model (macrumors.com). i have been waiting for months to get the PowerBook 17", and finally, i decided to get it on my birthday (actually, i'll wait a few days for the 28th Apple Store Event). i was determined; nothing would stop me, until today.

    i know literally millions of people have this problem in their hands: get it now and enjoy it, or wait a few months until the state-of-the-art G5 model comes out?

    you see, i'm paying big-bucks for this laptop beauty, and i'd feel pretty bad if the second i buy it, a newer model, perhaps cheaper, comes out that makes mine obsolete. on the other hand, I've been dreaming about getting the 17-incher for months. but you see- what's puzzling me inside is that i really DON'T need a new laptop right now- it's just been my almost year-long dream, desire, etc... (don't tell my parents this- i think about it also during math class in school...).

    and it'd be also a nice birthday present for me.

    i've determined that if it comes out by end of January, I'll wait for the new G5. If it's summer, i'll gladly take the current model. i'm just affraid that if i get it now, the new one will appear like a "surprise" model; the 12-inch and 17-inch models were last-minute surprises too.

    any advice here???? the clock is ticking... (only a few more days left until 28th)
  2. g808 macrumors regular

    Oct 6, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm an instant gradification kind of guy, so I say buy it now! I just got mine earlier this month and I love it! I use it for home and work.

    It also depends on what you want to use this laptop for. The G4 will be more than enough to handle basic computing need like word processing, web browsing, etc. Also, if the G5 comes out it will no doubt be more expensive than the G4s.

    A lot of people always delay their purchase in the fear of something better is coming out and never really end up purchasing anything. The fact is that in the computing world bigger and better things are always coming out, but not necessarily obsoleteing it predisessor. "Obsolete" is a relative term. What may be obsolete to you may not be to me based on my usage of the technology.
  3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040


    Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i have a feeling that if you are waiting for the g5 powerbook it will be MUCH later...
  4. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Nov 15, 2003

    i've finally made up my mind: i will buy it next friday!!!!!

    it's just that the name 'G4' will soon sound outdated, while 'G5' makes a big deal. also, the G5 will be out for a while, while the G4 is for the lower-end models. who cares, i guess.
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    buying computers is almost always about instant gratification. no matter how long you wait, your computer will be outdated within half a year.

    you can wait a year for the PB G5 and see it get updated in 6 months or get your PB G4 now and see it get updated in 4 months. (since it was released two months ago.)

    i personally think you made the right call in getting it now - you sound like you really want one. go get it and enjoy it.
  6. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

    Jul 15, 2003
    Here's my theory

    Get it now. Sell it to some sucker on eBay a couple of days before the G5 comes out. Usually the rumors around here seeme to be accurate plus or minus a month. So I'd dump it as the G5 powerbook rumors start to heat up. That way you get use now, and you'll only go about a month without one.
  7. legion macrumors 6502a

    Jul 31, 2003
    Oh yeah, that would've worked out great with the Al 15" launch...

    you would've ended up without a laptop for 6 months at least!
  8. andym172 macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2003
    I would definitely recommend going for the G4.

    The current 17" is tried and tested - I'm typing on mine and am hugely impressed! :)

    6 weeks ago I purchased a new 1.25ghz 15" which turned out to be an absolute pig of a machine with many problems.
    So, I bought a 17" and it's of much better quality, and therefore more of a pleasure to use.

    I very much get the idea that Apple aren't spending as much time/money/effort on research and development as well as testing these days. This is certainly the case if the 15" and all of its problems are anything to go by!!

    My 15" got very hot sometimes - hot enough to not want to work on it for any prolonged amount time with it on your lap. The 17" less so, but it's still hot - my old 14" 800mhz iBook was much better in this area.

    It's reported that the G5 chip produces 4x the amount of heat than the G4. If this is the case the G5 is in no way suitable for a laptop - the amount of burn cases amongst users, and the compensation sought, would put Apple out of business!

    I can't see the G5 being here for a good few months yet - perhaps even a year. When it is released I won't be buying one of the first batch - I'll be waiting for the inevitable problems to be ironed out first.

    As it is, I'm currently very happy with my 17" G4 :D
  9. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 10, 2003
    i am in the same debate right now. rumors came out stating that at the earliest the PB g5 could be out in april 2004. with apple's previous record (esp. the 15in AlPB), i would really doubt that we will be seeing the g5 in a portable anytime soon.

    also, the g5 is nice, but, as a student, do i really need it? a g4 should get the majority of my research, gaming, and word processing accomplished.

    i do understand the whole feeling of knowing you have a g5 in your PB. the honest truth is that function should outweigh my ego.

    i am waiting till the end of january before i buy. if they were to do a speedbump and price drop, it would definitely be then (i believe there is a macworld in SF at the time).
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    the question is, do you really need a G5? I doubt it; most people don't. There aren't many times when the processor is the limiting factor in how fast you get something done. (yes, i know it is often the limiting factor for audio or visual pros - i'm talking "consumer" users)

    I have a rev. B 12" PB. Sure, I'll wish I had a G5 PB when they come out, but this computer does everything I need and then some, and that doesn't change based on the existance or lack thereof of a faster powerbook.
  11. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Nov 15, 2003
    G5- do i really need it?

    sometimes, on my Dell Pentium 4, when I print a word-processing document, my computer gets really REALLy slow, considering it's one of the fastest laptops out there.

    maybe it's because it's XP!

  12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

    Powerbook G5

    Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    Sounds like bad coding than a slow processor problem to me. If you are getting slowdown on Windows with a P4 it is more likely do to other factors than a processor not being fast enough. Same with the G5, it won't make you do your papers faster or type email more efficiently, it will only make a big difference if you are a professional a/v kind of person who needs that power.
  13. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Nov 15, 2003

    i just bought my first Apple- a beautiful, gorgeous, sexy PowerBook G4 17-inch monster! i can't wait to use it!

    i decided to get the Powerbook now instead of waiting for the G5 PowerBook. in fact, my dad is so impressed with the PowerBook that he himself is going to get the 15" SuperDrive or ComboDrive.

    i am too happy right now...:D :D :D :D
  14. Gymnut macrumors 68000


    Apr 18, 2003
    Sweeet! I'd have done the same thing if I was sitting on 2k. If I had that $$ saved up and didn't spend it on a new PB, I'd have blown it on something else. Ah compulsive buyers, gotta love 'em.
  15. Lou macrumors newbie

    Nov 27, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Anyone who thinks that a G5 Powerbook will be released soon is kidding themselves. There are MAJOR issues that would need to be sorted out, e.g. heat output. I doubt a G5 Powerbook would even be announced by the final quarter of 2004. And based on the time it took Apple to bring out the recent 15" Albook, I certainly wouldn't be holding my breath!
  16. g808 macrumors regular

    Oct 6, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    not sure why people have to ask this question all the time? it's plain and simple. if you can afford it, then get it. something better will always be around the corner...that's how the computing world is.

    i love my 17" PB and i'm sure you won't regret going for the instant gradification route. no buyer's remorse whatsoever! :)
  17. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

    psycho bob

    Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    here's a better idea don't get a G4 PB now or even a G5 late next year give it 2-3 years and get a G6 that way it will be really up to date:rolleyes:
    If you have to ask whether or not you should wait for a new model then you obviously don't really need one so don't even think about it. If you need it buy it even when a new model comes out it doesn't make yours unusable.

Share This Page