Powerbook G4 1GHz/Superdrive

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacOS Rumors claims that updated Powerbooks up to 1GHz in speed with a Superdrive option is due in a matter of weeks.

This repeats previously unconfirmable reports of 1GHz PowerBooks due in October. (which may be the same sources)

Much speculation falls on Powerbook updates with low supplies and educational discounts driving rumors. The Powerbook is Apple's oldest model with its last revision in April.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
thats so cool, but damn they are to expensive for me, Its a wonder people can afored to go out a buy one after each update

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
*sigh*

I knew this day would come... my powerbook 800 is "old" now.. don't get me wrong, it still kicks ass!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
That is really tight, I only wish that I had the means to pay for it. A 1 GHz powerbook - I would think - would get to hot, but I'm sure that has been argued over many, many times. I cant wait to test those and dual 1.25's at CompUSA later.. :D:D:D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Well I'm more than willing to trade a few thousand of my notes in exchange for a 1Ghz PowerBook G4, with SuperDrive.......... :D

blankcell

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2002
I've been waiting for a new PowerBook upgrade for a while. I hope they add Bluetooth this time around.

ugru

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
i am waiting for it but it will cost far too much for me.

i will probably buy a 800 one but only with an improved video sub-sistem (i hope rumors about ATI 9000 will be confirmed) faster RAM and an integrated bluethoot capability.

my ti 400 is old and it's right time for an update.

looking at past revision how long is a life cycle of a Ti rev 6-8 months or more?

robguz

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
If this is true I know I'll be getting either the new 800 or the old 800, possibly a refurb if one can be found and sell my Ti 550 while it's still worth something. I don't expect any earth shattering breakthrough on the next Ti, but it's gotten long in the tooth and pretty silly for Apple to ask $2500 for a 667 Mhz machine. Also, it's too much to ask for the 800 Ti to cost the same as a dual 1.25 Ghz desktop.

Even at 1Ghz, a Ti would be mostly slower than Apple's slowest desktop offering. The Ti has fallen behind since it's intro. Originally at 500 when the lowest desktop was at 466. When it went to 667, the desktop was 733. When the Ti 800 came out, the desktop was 800 too but sans L3 cache. Let's hope they keep the prices reasonable and return to the $3000/$2300 level pricing if no SuperDrive.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I've got a PC at home and a new one at work, so I don't really "need" a computer, but I'd like something that I could take with me. I'd also like to dump windows (windoze!) and the increasingly intrusive stance of microsoft.

What I have been wanting to do is buy a powerbook, but due to a rumored speed increase (right before they jumped to 800 with the better screens), I held off. Then, moving and other expenses have tied me up, and just when I start looking again at a tiBook and external firewire superdrive, this rumor pops up again.

What I've always wanted is a superdrive+laptop+OSX. If they can all be in one little package, I'm sold.

If not, I'll probably still be sold, those tibooks are just so nice.

Kilchzimmer

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2002
Switzerland (from US)
Re: Powerbook G4 1GHz/Superdrive

Originally posted by arn
Powerbooks up to 1GHz in speed with a Superdrive option is due in a matter of weeks.
Ohh...if it were but true! :eek:
I am back in the States until Nov. 30 and had planned/saved for over a year to purchase a PowerBook and take back with me, but have been playing the "waiting game". I set a personal deadline for ordering one around the middle of October to give room for delayed filling of orders (nothing new with Apple...).

My dream was for a PB with a superdrive to run my FCP3 and be able to produce DVDs on remote locations for video projects (Russia, Yugoslavia, etc.). A Ti PB with SuperDrive is the only way I could do it.

I'm not too optimistic about the SuperDrive (my ultimate Ti Book wishlist item) but I'll wait a few more weeks to see what pans out!:rolleyes:

I still have flashbacks to when I purchased my present "Wallstreet" PB in Nov. 98(?) and 2 weeks later Apple dropped the price by over $1,000 due to pre-Christmas overstock AND included the DVD kit!! :mad:

- Tim S.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
again, time will tell, but these are logical upgrades to the tibook

but i think by the time tibook goes to 1 ghz, 1 ghz will be the bottom speed for the powermac line so i actually expect the next speedbump for tibook in january at mwsf, especially if tibook also gets superdrive

steve jobs can really play this one up and make it look like apple's most must have piece of gear in a couple of years

either superdrive alone or a slightly faster powerbook at nine hundred-something mhz would be welcome if it happened in october of this year

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by jefhatfield
either superdrive alone or a slightly faster powerbook at nine hundred-something mhz would be welcome if it happened in october of this year
Why not both?

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by chibianh
*sigh*

I knew this day would come... my powerbook 800 is "old" now.. don't get me wrong, it still kicks ass!
i feel the exact same way... my 800 took every cent i had at the time... and now the possibility of a new tibook has me feeling like i should have gotten the 667... i wouldn't have felt too bad when the top of the line became the bottom of the line :p

but i still love this sleek, sexy machine....

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by ugru
i am waiting for it but it will cost far too much for me.

i will probably buy a 800 one but only with an improved video sub-sistem (i hope rumors about ATI 9000 will be confirmed) faster RAM and an integrated bluethoot capability.

my ti 400 is old and it's right time for an update.

looking at past revision how long is a life cycle of a Ti rev 6-8 months or more?
All your old Ti 400 are belong to us.

:)

Send me your old Ti 400's guys. We are making a portable supercomputer farm.

You can log on remotely and still use it (and its bretheren) :)

Rocketman

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Originally posted by xrhajj
I just hope the superdrive in the TiBook be faster than the current models:confused: :D

More then likely not!!:mad:
I think I read the slimline Pioneer drive was double the speed of the current Superdrives, but it's the conversion which really slows things down.

Here's hoping the price drops by $500, so that we can afford DVD SP!

Yosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by robguz
Even at 1Ghz, a Ti would be mostly slower than Apple's slowest desktop offering. The Ti has fallen behind since it's intro. Originally at 500 when the lowest desktop was at 466. When it went to 667, the desktop was 733. When the Ti 800 came out, the desktop was 800 too but sans L3 cache.
That's not really true. A 1 Ghz TiBook would perform all non MP aware tasks as fast as a Dual 1 Ghz tower and, as it stands, MOST applications do not take advantage of dual processors. With respect to the 800, I'm not sure what you mean. The 800 Mhz TiBook DOES have a 1MB L3 cache. If you are saying the desktop 800 did not, you are correct. However, the desktop 800 was not Apple's fastest offering when the 800 TiBook arrived - the dual 1Ghz Quicksilver was released about 3 mos before the 800 Mhz TiBook and the dual 1Ghz had 2 MB of L3 cache per processor.

It is unrealistic to expect Powerbooks to ever rival the fastest desktops in speed in light of the other requirements (small size, portability, low energy consumption, lower heat). But, the fact is, the current 800 Mhz TiBook performs exceptionally well - much better than 800 Mhz iMacs and rivaling the older 800 Mhz single and dual processor towers.

On another note, I agree with what others have mentioned about this TiBook rumor. MacOS Rumors has ALWAYS been full of crap. They don't know jack sh-t about what's coming out. They have been 100% WRONG at every single product introduction the past 18 months. Other more reputable websites such as ThinkSecret have indicated not to expect any new hardware until 2003. While I hope Apple does release something next month, I highly doubt they will.

Finally, those of you who already own an 800 Mhz TiBook and are worried about your machine becoming "old" or "obsolete", GET OVER IT! You are currently holding in your hot little hands one of the best portable computers ever made. A 200 Mhz bump in speed and switch to Radeon 9000 is not going to be a huge performance boost and your "old" TiBook will still be working just as good as it ever has for years and years. I'm typing this on my 800 TiBook w/ Cinema Display and I'd be just as happy with this great system even if Apple comes out with a 1.25 Ghz Tibook.

CRMarvin42

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2002
Lafayette, IN
practicality of a superdrive

I Don't see the Ti-book coming out with a superdrive with-out significant changes to the machine. The biggest problem with the Ti-book (outside of the cost) is heat. The heat prob. is the reason that it is wraped in titanium to begin with. A superdrive runs a lot hotter than a combo drive and would most likely start causing problems with the rest of the computer unless they made some significant changes to the heat production of the rest of the computer.

I hope that they have found a way to put a super drive in the ti-book but i don't see how with out overhauling the ti-book design which wouldn't suprise me either

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Originally posted by Yosh
On another note, I agree with what others have mentioned about this TiBook rumor. MacOS Rumors has ALWAYS been full of crap. They don't know jack sh-t about what's coming out. They have been 100% WRONG at every single product introduction the past 18 months. Other more reputable websites such as ThinkSecret have indicated not to expect any new hardware until 2003. While I hope Apple does release something next month, I highly doubt they will.
I find rumour snobbery deeply childish. MOSR is as accurate as any other site, that's what the R means. If it was called MacOS Facts then sure, they're crap. I particularly dislike the attacks on Meader himself. People run rumour sites for fun, that's all.

As for new Powerbooks, they are due on Oct 1st according to product cycle. Various other things suggest updates too -
  • 1Ghz parts have been flowing from moto since MWSF
  • promotions ending Sept 25
  • Radeon 9000 release (with TiBooks on the ATI site)
  • slimline Superdrives release
  • No powerbook image on Apples hardware page despite it selling on looks
  • many bundles on 667 models at MacWarehouse UK
And remember, Apple no longer release at Expos.

I'm guessing the Ti800 will drop to 667 price but may stay the same specs, but a new Ultimate 1Ghz model with Superdrive will be added. Either on Sept 26 or Oct 1.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by Yosh

That's not really true. A 1 Ghz TiBook would perform all non MP aware tasks as fast as a Dual 1 Ghz tower and, as it stands, MOST applications do not take advantage of dual processors.
wrong.

in OS X, all apps can take advantage of MP. thats why dualies are a huge improvement in OS X. Just play with a MP machine with the CPU monitor on, and run any app. SMP support in the kernel.