Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Can anyone help?!?!?
My Powerbook G4 550mhz makes an unhealthy ticking noise and freezes on startup, I have tried everything - Hardware test, booting from software/restore disks, removing ram, removing battery, I also hooked it up to another mac and copied the HD just in case and the Powerbook actually booted up but the ticking and freeze came back after 5 mins!!! I have sensitive info on the HD so tried to firewire to another mac to erase - but now it isnt recognized! So sending it to apple is out of the question.
Anyone experienced this or have any ideas?!?!? Desperate!

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
Allister said:
Can anyone help?!?!?
My Powerbook G4 550mhz makes an unhealthy ticking noise and freezes on startup, I have tried everything - Hardware test, booting from software/restore disks, removing ram, removing battery, I also hooked it up to another mac and copied the HD just in case and the Powerbook actually booted up but the ticking and freeze came back after 5 mins!!! I have sensitive info on the HD so tried to firewire to another mac to erase - but now it isnt recognized! So sending it to apple is out of the question.
Anyone experienced this or have any ideas?!?!? Desperate!

Unfortunately, it sounds like your HD is failing. If you were able to copy the drive and have all of your files, I'd say start looking at replacing it. If not, you might want to try Data Rescue X to help you recover your files and a combo of Disk Warrior and Drive 10 to maybe salvage the drive enough to access stuff.

***edited to add: I'm assuming you're on OSX with these program recommendations.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
krisjon said:
Unfortunately, it sounds like your HD is failing. If you were able to copy the drive and have all of your files, I'd say start looking at replacing it. If not, you might want to try Data Rescue X to help you recover your files and a combo of Disk Warrior and Drive 10 to maybe salvage the drive enough to access stuff.

***edited to add: I'm assuming you're on OSX with these program recommendations.

Burn the important stuff, get a firewire drive, or get a usb keychain...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.