Powerbook G4 With 1 Issue Worth £95 ($150)?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I've just found a Powerbook G4 Aluminum with 1.5ghz, 512mb RAM, 20gb HDD, Combo Drive, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Aiport Extreme, Bluetooth for £80 and £15 P+P...

It is in mint condition with only one issue, one 1 out of the 2 USB ports don't work.

Worth the £$£$?

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Don't buy it. This could indicate a bigger problem that can surface in the future. Perhaps a logic board issue.

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Since the other port works that tells me it isn't at all a logic board issue because both would be dead. My guess is the metal connector strips in that outlet are damaged or something. Very possible reason for a portable.

Ask the seller if the working port works perfectly.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What if the non working port is the one attached to the logic board? Would that not indicate some sort of potential logic board failure at some point? I could see if it was the port attached to the DC Inverter board because that board is replaceable.

I had to replace my DC Inverter Board and even though it wasn't charging at the time the USB port still worked. Is it possible with this board that the USB port could fail but the unit would still charge?

5. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

The actual USB port is missing, not not working, it's just not there :apple:

6. zen.state, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Both ports would share the same USB chipset and therefore the same connection. It's only on certain PowerMac towers where you see independent USB chipsets and connections for each port and this is going back to the USB 1.1 days.

That implies even more that it was damaged physically. Like I said earlier.. just verify the port thats there works 100%. If so I say go for it. Great price. Odd that it has a 20GB HD though.. These came with 40 at the low end from what I remember. Guess the drive was downgraded.

7. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Let me put it this way, would you buy a car that has electrical problems, but still runs? No, because this hints at future problems relating to either the engine or the electrical system. In a similar sense, if you buy a laptop with a problem, it is likely that even if it works fine, one day a whole bunch of problems will present themselves- in your case it will likely be a logic board failure. It is possible that this problem is isolated to that one USB port, with faulty solder or something of the sort, though...

----------

But in response to the OP's edit...physical damage is a complete no.

Don't buy.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have to disagree with that somewhat. Both of my PowerBooks were write-offs. I've had to replace a few parts on my 1GHz machine, but I got it for $150, so I view that as equivalent to paying the then going value of the machine (2009). It has a failed cache, but so far it's been running strong.

My 1.67Ghz PB was dropped on it's right corner near the SuperDrive. Other than superficial damage which I mitigated with superglue and a hammer everything is just fine. The seller never indicated I was getting the hi-def model, otherwise he might have gotten more in the auction. As it was I was very surprised to find out I had the DLSD.

My wife's 12" PB rolled down a flight of stairs. I replaced the screen. It works perfect.

Sometimes there can be a serious problem that is being hidden, I will admit to that. But it's been my experience (on eBay at least) that most people have no clue what's wrong with their machines and how easy it is to fix it when they are selling them.

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i wouldn't pay $150 for it...if fact i would stay away.

-1.5GHz should come with 60,80,100 or 80,100,120 not only 20 gig's

-the missing usb port

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

if you can fix it then go for it but I would buy for $100