Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
HardMac is reporting that European supplies of Powerbook G4's are in "end of life" status. Current US supplies also appear to reflect very low supplies.

A previous unconfirmable user report indicated that Powerbook G4 1 GHz upgrades were on the way in October. Meanwhile, PowerPage had reported that Powerbook updates were not expected until MacWorld SF 2003.

In a recent look at product cycles, the Powerbook is currently Apple's "oldest" model -- last updated in April 2002.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
very cool. I wonder if there will be more than a speed bump? Could it be possible to add BlueTooth now?

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
It would make sense to include BT on the mobo ASAP. Anyone know whether the Ti casing would have a negative effect on range?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Considering that there were previous rumors of ALL mac models shipping with Bluetooth as of MWSF 2003, it would make sense to add it "now" (if it happens) instead of updating twice. It would be more cost effective on Apple's side, and it could be a positive marketing angle that Apple could exploit.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Darn, I won't have the fastest powerbook on the block anymore :-(

That's okay, If I had waited, I would still have my 400Mhz P2 Dell crapitude

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
here's my 10 cents...

bluetooth is a definate possibility (that's an oxymoron huh). I think it would make sense considering iSync and the compatibility with the SonyEricsson T68i (a bluetooth phone). Plus, just now looking at it, why is it the T68 "i". Maybe there is significance in that designation. Bluetooth would secure Mac's place in the mobile technology world and IR is gone so they need something. Also, a bluetooth chip is very small so could easily be added into existing powerbook engineering design.

I also think that 1Ghz is certain. It has to be to keep up with the market. Whoever suggested 1.25 is basing it solely on dreams.

DVD-R is a real stretch. I would think Apple will save that for the next big design change early next year. There needs to be some major addition to signify the design change and as good as it looks the TiBook design is an old one in the mac fleet.

... my two cents is free.

binôme

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2002
Hmm. I tried to order a PB 667 and 800 on the Belgian AppleStore. 1-2 days !! Doesn't sound like no supplies to me.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Bluetooth makes sense...

A lot of Titanium powerbooks sit on the desks of the business folks... The same folks that can't live without their mobile phone.

Bluetooth just makes sense. It would stink to release iSync and then offer those ugly bluetooth USB dongles as your "powerbook bluetooth solution".

Even better would be an Airport/Bluetooth combo card.

1Ghz? I hope so. It's due.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
This is my wishlist for new powerbooks,because i am buying one:
-fast cpu/bus of course
-faster graphics,64 mb ddr and something even faster then 7500 mobility would be nice
-second FW port,faster FW speed (powerbooks have somewhat slower throughput of FW interface)
-bluetooth
-paint which is more scratch resistant
-longer battery life
-less heat
-superdrive would be nice,but that will only raise price..maybe superdrive as BTO?

and this is what will look my PB configuration:
hi-end powerbook,which i will use for 3-5 years
-2 external FW cases,one for fast cd burner,one for 160 GB hard drive
-solution for watching tv and capturing video from tv and vcr,radio tuner would be nice
what do you recommend? can those things be powered thru USB port only?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Bluetooth makes sense...

Originally posted by oldMac

Even better would be an Airport/Bluetooth combo card.

1Ghz? I hope so. It's due.

Is it practical to simply swap out an 11.b airport card with an 11b/11g/BT airport card, technically?

Someone needs to start a fad of installing high range wireless everywhere there is an underused high bandwidth connection so wireless access becomes pervasive and nearly free.

Rocketman

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
As far as BlueTooth on the motherboard...

It's doesn't make one bit-o-sense... Neither does 802.11b. Think about it... 802.11 now has 3 choices 802.11a 802.11b and very soon 802.11g oh you also have 'turbo 802.11b'. Bluetooth was at 1.0 and is now at 1.1.

Intersil has just made a combo-PCcard that does BOTH 802.11b as well as bluetooth. 802Blue (or something like that). Why would you limit the mobo with wireless when this stuff changes so dern qucikly. Talk about a ton-o-people being mad when bluetooth 2.0 or 802.11? (insert letter) becomes available.

Linky: http://www.siliconwave.com/Blue802.html

Dave

firestormt

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
after just buying my pb 800, which is better than i could have expected, on the 23rd. i hope they hold off on the update...for my sake...and yes, i'm a switcher.:D Apple FOREVER!

Heat!!!

I use a 800 TiBook now. And it gets HOT!

If they put a new 1GHz G4 chip on it, they'd better come up with a creative way to cool it down. That heat and the fan sound really make me uncomfortable even now, especially when I work in the hot summer of Tokyo and Bangkok. Sometimes I open up the keyboard and cool down the mother board with a mouse pad. What a sophisticated relationship I'm performing here!

Speed bump is always nice, but the compactness and the power do not go well together, I feel.

Oh well, maybe I should just move to the south pole. Do they have an Apple store there?;)

Heat 2

Oh, by the way, TiBook is OK when I think of my Vaio GR which I use occationally for testing browser compatibility of the websites I make.
This GR sucker's bottom gets hot as hell, I mean as HELL! even hotter than TiBook's white ass. I always wonder when it starts to melt (considering it's the plastic casting).

Maybe I should start cooking some eggs like somebody did on a sheet of alminum foil over a CPU.

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by geeman
It would make sense to include BT on the mobo ASAP. Anyone know whether the Ti casing would have a negative effect on range?

I doubt it seeing as the new flagship nokia (8910) is in a fully enclosed Ti case. As for the T68, theres tow variants of this phone - teh vanilla T68, and the T68i. I *think* the difference i teh ability to use an add on camera, but both are blue tooth. My personal favourite is the extremely cheap philips offering - colour, bluetooth, gprs, and FREE on contract.

Having said all this, I'm not too happy about the willy-nilly increase in high power wireless networks- I worry about the health implications, especially given the recent report from sweden that found a link between old style analogue phones and rare forms of brain cancer.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Bluetooth makes sense...

Originally posted by Rocketman

Is it practical to simply swap out an 11.b airport card with an 11b/11g/BT airport card, technically?

Someone needs to start a fad of installing high range wireless everywhere there is an underused high bandwidth connection so wireless access becomes pervasive and nearly free.

Rocketman
You could start a whole new thread on this point. I'd be interested to know if it's possible. I have two Linksys access points and they have pcimcia card inside. However, the cards would still cost about the same as an accesspoint.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Pants.....

There is the T68m and T68i. They are the same phone except for casing and some advanced imaging features of the "i" model. Essentially you get a larger picture album, different "identities" (colors of the menus) and the ability to send MMS (multimedia messaging service). It was pretty much the case of an updated model. In europe I'm pretty sure the T68m has been discontinued while here in the states voicestream uses the m and AT&T uses the i.

Another interesting note... the original "i" phone (still the one pictured on sonyericsson.com, but not the ones in stores) had a very apple-esque white and light blue color scheme. The conspiracy theory continues.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
portables

i really think that we will see new portables soon. remember the e-mail sent to developers asking what they would want to see in the Apple portables. maybe apple is going to respond quickly with new powerbooks. :)

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by Megaquad
This is my wishlist for new powerbooks,because i am buying one:
-fast cpu/bus of course
-faster graphics,64 mb ddr and something even faster then 7500 mobility would be nice
-second FW port,faster FW speed (powerbooks have somewhat slower throughput of FW interface)
-bluetooth
-paint which is more scratch resistant
-longer battery life
-less heat
-superdrive would be nice,but that will only raise price..maybe superdrive as BTO?

and this is what will look my PB configuration:
hi-end powerbook,which i will use for 3-5 years
-2 external FW cases,one for fast cd burner,one for 160 GB hard drive
-solution for watching tv and capturing video from tv and vcr,radio tuner would be nice
what do you recommend? can those things be powered thru USB port only?

As far as mobile graphics go the Radeon 7500 is the best unless you go into a workstation solution (ie Mobilty Fire GL 7800 or Quadro 500 Go GL), but a 64MB Mobility Radeon 7500 would be nice.

As far as firewire goes, it won't get faster until Apple adopts the Firewire 2 spec. A second port would be nice but you could get a firewire hub for home because when you are on the go I'm sure you won't be carrying the HD and Burner with you.

Longer battery life would be nice but ~5 hours is still good. You can get a third party battery for the TiBook with longer life.

Built in bluetooth would be a logical approach for Apple, it'll be an advantage that Apple could exploit.

As far as less heat goes, there really isn't much Apple can do considering the size of the Tibook and the speed of the processor.

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by makkystyle
Pants.....

There is the T68m and T68i. They are the same phone except for casing and some advanced imaging features of the "i" model. Essentially you get a larger picture album, different "identities" (colors of the menus) and the ability to send MMS (multimedia messaging service). It was pretty much the case of an updated model. In europe I'm pretty sure the T68m has been discontinued while here in the states voicestream uses the m and AT&T uses the i.

Another interesting note... the original "i" phone (still the one pictured on sonyericsson.com, but not the ones in stores) had a very apple-esque white and light blue color scheme. The conspiracy theory continues.

thanks for clearing that up -I've just had a look and the 'm' model is still being offered on contract here in the uk - personally I don't like the little joystick - sony's jogdial was a neat feature though. The p800 looks very 'aqua-esque', but the potential price tag is horrific. judging bu the prices of the new MMS phones, and the poor state of the providers share prices (and lack of big discounts on new phones), I cant see these taking off for a fair while.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
"Superdrive" is not the only DVDR on the block anymore. There are other drives and even a competing format, DVD+R. Right now several vendors are working on making a smaller DVD-R drive, and there was some chatter on the DVD lists about the iminent release of a 4x burner. A superslim DVD-R drive has not been unveiled yet, but it is much more of a realistic possibility than a few months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.