Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNet explores the possibilities surrounding an upcoming PowerBook G5. Obviously, users are interested in it, but with the release of the updated G4 PowerBooks on Monday... they will have to wait a little longer.

Most feel that Apple is simply unable to utilize the current G5 in today's PowerBook enclosure:

"It'd be this really thick, heavy notebook, and it would be loud as all get-out," said Kevin Krewell, editor in chief of the Microprocessor Report. "Those would not be design choices that Apple would want to pursue."

jbembe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Baltimore, MD
Well, as much as I would REALLY like to have one, I can wait until they get it right. Someday they'll figure this out, until then I'll just limp along with my 700mhz iMac. :D

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
alternatives

So.... dual-core G4's?

Or jump directly to G6 or whatever's down the line?

Apple's going to have a real PR problem if we're stuck here for too long.

mac n cheese

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
Macrumors said:
CNet explores the possibilities surrounding an upcoming PowerBook G5. Obviously, users are interested in it, but with the release of the updated G4 PowerBooks on Monday... they will have to wait a little longer.

Most feel that Apple is simply unable to utilize the current G5 in today's PowerBook enclosure:

Wow, are we supposed to pretend like this is breaking news? CNET is right on the cutting edge of technology news :confused:

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I was dissapointed by the recent PB update, but I would prefer a slow update rather than a big-ass noisy machine. I thiknk if everyone just holds on, we'll seed a G5 at WWDC.

VincentVega

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
UK
mac n cheese said:
Wow, are we supposed to pretend like this is breaking news? CNET is right on the cutting edge of technology news :confused:

News.com.com.com.com.com.com.com.com strikes again. Sigh. Still, it's preferable to reading another "informed" article by Paul Thurrott. ;)

Apple says it's "extremely difficult", but it doesn't say it's impossible. It'll come, we just need to be patient. :)

IBM need to come up with a chip built on the same principles as Intel's Centrino/Dothan series. Decent clock speed, reasonable power, but runs very cool.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
I wouldn't want a fat, loud, and slower powerbook G5. What i do want is a better GPU in the powerbook. Regardless, i'll be placing my order for one of the new powerbooks within the next two weeks... they're slick and have now doubled in speed compared to my Ti800.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
As modest as these updates were, I am going to get my 12 PB later this week. It is comparable to the iBook I wanted to buy so this will all come out in the wash. If Apple decided to go G5 later in the year, my college bound brother or sister will enjoy it just as well.

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
This isn't news

I go to cnet when I want a review on a printer or a digital camera. That's about the extent of it.

THis isn't news. I just don't want to see another landslide of proclimations on a Nostradamous level about when the G5 is coming out. We all know that apple likes to drop hints, and when you firmly belielve anything, those hints can be twisted in anyway to support your thoughts.

I'm pleased with the new Rev. I personally (one man's opinion) feel better about purchasing a revision more so that a new product - especially with the history of 1st revs on PB's.

If one comes out at WWDC or at MCSF 2005, that will put me in the perfect time to replace my Rev D PB with a Rev B or whatever comes next (approx 2 yrs away).

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
No one thought that Apple would put in a desktop G5 chip in a powerbook. Obviously IBM will have (or already has?) to create a "mobile" version of the chip that has more variety in power usage, generates less heat, and of course won't be as fast the PowerMacs.

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Im sure that they are going the right way and they shouldn't hurry, because I dont want a thick, heavy and loud powerbook. :rolleyes:

djwazzy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2004
This does it...

This article basically convinces me to buy a PB now. I've been waiting since last April to buy my first PB in the promise of a G5 PB coming soon. I can't wait another year...

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
not exactly "new" news, but its good to hear information from reliable sources like cnet and those quoted from within the article rater than JoEsChMoE, macrumors forums member since November 2004 with 113 posts...

we aren't going to see a G5 laptop at macworld, its just not going to happen. i'm sure we'll see apple market a G5 64-bit mobile processor, even if it is, in reality, based off what we know as the current G4 in form of a 64 bit dual core G4 chip. they can operate within their chip generation numbering scheme however they want.

an iMac g5 may be 2 inches thick, but most people just don't understand how much of a technological challenge that last inch is. just like the people who say they wish they made the mac mini slightly taller to put a 3.5" HDD in it, its just not that easy. when, exactly, are people finally going to believe apple and informed people such as those at the microprocessor forum, when they say that a G5 into a powerbook, in its current form, is a technological nightmare?

stealthboy

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Northern VA
Ok, so I keep reading all these posts about people whining about a lack of G5 PowerBook. Can someone honestly tell me WHY they think they *need* one? I mean, really, people. Are you rendering raytraced scenes for an upcoming Pixar film on your PowerBook and really need the extra speed? What would a G5 chip *really* give you over the current 1.67GhZ G4?

I'm serious, I really want to know. I'm planning on getting a G4 PowerBook soon, and I'm curious as to why people seem to think they need the G5. If you're doing serious crunching of numbers and heavy utilization of the processor, perhaps a laptop is not what you need.

Is it me? Am I missing something here? I'm being honest, here. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything; I'm seriously curious. Thanks in advance for honest replies!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Well i'm not happy, but when they do come out with something *new* it will be totaly kick @$$ (Plus i don't want my pb to get outdated so quicky since i got it in Aug of "04 ;) )

Hoffer

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
Applecare on my current PB runs out in February of 2006. Hopefully a G5 PB comes out sometime around there.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Can't say that I'm surprised... I was hoping that they would figure a way out. My mom ended up buying one of these newly released PowerBooks. I don't know if I would want to be a product tester for a new PowerBook G5 anyway... :eek: If I recall correctly, though, Apple mentioned something about the end of 2005? :confused:

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
Sit down and wait a while

I honestly don't care what "G" stamp is in front of the Powerbook name right now; be it a "G5" or not, I just want a quiet, cool, fast and powerful machine.

I'll be ordering a PB today or tomorrow for work. Probably a 17". It's all a step up from what I'm using now (note signature). When the next iteration of the Powerbook comes, I'll be happy to upgrade. But until then, I'll use what Apple has to offer and wait patiently. And all the while I'll be working faster than all of you that insist on a G5 PB which won't be around for a while.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I could care less about the extra processing power provided by the G5. The real reason I want to see the G5 PowerBook is because it means a total overhaul of the Powerbook line. I'm way more excited about a possible new form factor, new features, new innovations than GarageBand opening 5 seconds quicker.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I was hoping for July 2005... doesn't look promising. G4 Dual Cores would be a good substitute.

The newly refreshed PowerBooks, although look okish with 512MB, BT 2.0, anti shock etc, are still too expensive for outdated technology ( i.e., G4 with slow FB).

Pale Fire

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2002
Uppsala, Sweden
stealthboy said:
Ok, so I keep reading all these posts about people whining about a lack of G5 PowerBook. Can someone honestly tell me WHY they think they *need* one? I mean, really, people. Are you rendering raytraced scenes for an upcoming Pixar film on your PowerBook and really need the extra speed? What would a G5 chip *really* give you over the current 1.67GhZ G4?

Not much... I mean the strength of the G5 is to be able to put a FAT load of memory inside, something you probably won't do with the powerbook anyway. The G4 does have something of a rather sad FSB from what I hear, but aside from that there is no real gain going G5. It is not that much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.