Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwalton

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Hi,

Anyone have a new 12" powerbook yet? Was thinking of getting one, only concerned that things might get a bit too hot in that tiny case :( I know there were some issues with the 867 (??) getting a bit hot when being used over a longer period of time.

If anyone could give me any advice on this, it would be fully appreciated.

Cheers :)

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
I have an 867 12". I wouldn't say it has heating issues... The area where the hard drive is gets warm, but it is nothing that would burn skin or cause internal components to melt. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
It gets a little hot, but not too bad. It's uncomfortable after a while, but you just sit it down on another surface or let it sleep for a minute and it cools down easily.

JW

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
The new 12" PB uses the MPC7447 which is a process-shrink from the G4 the old one used. Also there is no L3 cache. It should run rather a lot cooler than the previous incarnation of the 12" PowerBook.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
The new 12" PB uses the MPC7447 which is a process-shrink from the G4 the old one used. Also there is no L3 cache. It should run rather a lot cooler than the previous incarnation of the 12" PowerBook.
12" PowerBook with 867MHz G4 didn't have L3 Cache either. At any rate, there were many people complaining about heat issues about 12". So I'm sure this revision with 1GHz G4 should be much better. Also more efficient 7447 should make things run cooler.

rebelberg21

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
I've had the 1ghz 12" PB for about 2 weeks now.

I've burned DVDs, edited video, watched DVDs on it. As well as normal stuff.

I can honestly say the heat issue is much much better, if not fixed in my eyes.

The only time it eve heats up to be even close to uncomfortable is when the CPU usage is 80% or above...like when i'm encoding Mpeg-2 video.

But even when I'm doing that it's much better than the Rev-A 12" ( my friend has one, that's how I compare.)

Overall the 12" rocks.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
i've got a 12" pb 1ghz, only time it gets REALLY hot is when the processor is under extreme heavy loads for a long time...

Like for me when the PB was trying to format a external USB hdd and failed cause the hdd didnt have enough power...but it pushed the usage up to 3.24 in top....after about 20mins that was very nice and toasty but not really unbearable :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.