Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced a product recall of batteries used in various models of it's portable line sold between October 2004 and May 2005. According to the recall, an internal electrical short can occur in the battery cells causing it to overheat, posing a fire threat. The models affected are:

12-inch iBook G4 A1061 HQ441 – HQ507
12-inch PowerBook G4 A1079 3X446 – 3X510
15-inch PowerBook G4 A1078 3X446 – 3X509

Powerbook batteries have previously been subject to recall in August of 2004.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
I was hoping it would be a recall of older batteries. My 1GHz 12" PB now gets 45 min on the battery if I'm lucky. POS.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Man, my eyes didn't get much passed "Powerbook" as the first word of the first rumor before I began to get a bit excited.

Sadness ensued, as battery recalls are not exciting.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Yeah, my 1Ghz is not giving too much time neither but I am having lost of troubles with the Blue Tooth lately. The computer does not recognize my keyboard and mouse and I have to turn it of, take of the batery, unplug the machine and hold the strt button for 5 seconds to reset the internal memory and then is all fine.

I am really waiting for a 12" with lighted keyboard though.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
uv23 said:
I was hoping it would be a recall of older batteries. My 1GHz 12" PB now gets 45 min on the battery if I'm lucky. POS.

I know of not a single person with a 12" RevB PowerBook that has not had their battery crap out on them. We got screwed on that one... Mine died 3 days after the 1 year warranty was up, obviously Apple chose not to do anything (the AppleCare you purchase does not cover batteries). It literally went from 3 or so hours of life to about 30-40 minutes in something like 2 days. A cell or two must have broken. I had to buy another battery off eBay just to be able to use the machine. Looks like they haven't made any progress in the poor quality battery department... they really need to start pushing whoever supplies these things.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Well, at least Apple is taking care of the problem. I know Dell has had to issue similar types of recalls that has affected the school that I work at, so don't think that Apple is the only company that has to issue these kind of recalls from time to time. All companies do. And hey, if you get your lap set on fire, you can get yourself a lawsuit! Just no finger claims please ;)

derspringer

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2005
My serial number not accepted :|

My 12" PB's battery has serial number 3X4530XXXXXX, which seems to be in the recalled range, but Apple's website says it's not valid. Anyone else have that problem?

Grunt

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2005
I hope they get this fixed for the incoming iBook update... would hate to have to delay a purchase because of this :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Let's hope ths is another improvement (battery quality control) Apple makes when it eventually updates the iBook/PowerBook lines. (Of course, these things do happen...)

I'm still hoping for an announcement by WWDC...

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
derspringer said:
My 12" PB's battery has serial number 3X4530XXXXXX, which seems to be in the recalled range, but Apple's website says it's not valid. Anyone else have that problem?

Look for the MODEL number, not the serial number. The Model number will be indicative of if your battery is in the recall.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Well, next time my sister complains that her powerbook is so hot it's burning her leg, I will pay a little more attention to the matter.

Fishes,
narco.

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Easy solution..buy the 17" PB. I have one for sale on the Marketplace forum and it includes not only the installed battery, but a spare as well. They must be using a different manufacturer or different hook up with the 17" PB because it has not been subject to this problem.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Gimzotoy said:
I know of not a single person with a 12" RevB PowerBook that has not had their battery crap out on them. We got screwed on that one... Mine died 3 days after the 1 year warranty was up, obviously Apple chose not to do anything (the AppleCare you purchase does not cover batteries). It literally went from 3 or so hours of life to about 30-40 minutes in something like 2 days. A cell or two must have broken. I had to buy another battery off eBay just to be able to use the machine. Looks like they haven't made any progress in the poor quality battery department... they really need to start pushing whoever supplies these things.

Count me in with the crap battery crew. My Rev B gets about 1-1.5 hours of battery time, if I'm not doing anything intensive.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
munkle said:
Count me in with the crap battery crew. My Rev B gets about 1-1.5 hours of battery time, if I'm not doing anything intensive.
In the last 3 months I've noticed the battery's just crapped out on my Rev B (I think it's Rev B - 1GHz G4 Powerbook 12"...) anyhoo - yes. Only 1:20 or so when just using it normally... And I will have to buy a new one eventually - I'm not covered on this recall... Unless... :D

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
longofest said:
Look for the MODEL number, not the serial number. The Model number will be indicative of if your battery is in the recall.
It's a combination of both - my 15" Powerbook (latest model) does have the model of battery that's being recalled (A1078), but my serial is 3K501, whereas the recalled range is 3X446-509.

Which apparently means I'm safe from having my desk/pants/whatever burst into flame while using my PB. *fingers crossed* :eek:

nFinity

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2005
My model number is A1079 but my serial starts with 3K50 - so this doesn't apply to me?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
hob said:
In the last 3 months I've noticed the battery's just crapped out on my Rev B (I think it's Rev B - 1GHz G4 Powerbook 12"...) anyhoo - yes. Only 1:20 or so when just using it normally... And I will have to buy a new one eventually - I'm not covered on this recall... Unless... :D

Yeah, that's the Rev B, sounds like we got a bum deal. I was hoping the recall would cover us lot as well...bugger!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Recalls are good. Less you have the following happen..... :eek:

PHTO0009.jpg

PHTO0011.jpg

PHTO0015.jpg

Sorry if I made people cry or faint. Poor PowerBook. Where do PowerBooks go when they die? :confused: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.