Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Hello Everyone,

I am currently using a dell dimension desktop with a P4 processor- very new. A couple weeks ago I decided I want a MAC :). My choices are powerbooks, iMacs, and Powermacs. My budget is around $1800 so I have been looking at new and refurb macs at there websites.

Macs
-12", 15", or 17" (maybe since you can buy a refurb for 2k)
- 15" ti (can i still find one), 15" al, 15" al newest version
-Powermac 1.6 or 1.8 (single, refurb)
-iMac 17" or possibly 20" refurb

I also need some reasons to upgrade.

If anyone out there is a PC user can you tell me how much i could get for my dell?
-P4 at 2.53ghz
-15"LCD
-30gb hd
-256mb of ram
-HP photosmart 1115 photo printer
-optical mouse
-keyboard
-harmon kardon hk 206 speakers
-DVD
-CD-R
-Floppy
-great condition

thanks to everyone who replies

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
what are you going to use it for? and where? if you are going to use it in your home office and never need to take it anwhere i cant recomend a laptop . . . if youre going to be traveling to 3 different locations a day and always need a computer with you i cannot recomend a desktop.

as for your dell go search for the same or similar modle number on e-bay to get a rough idea of what people are paying for them.

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
You're in a Mac board, so

Reasons to switch? You'll find plenty here.

To be sure the suggestions you get line up with your situation, tell us what it is you need your Mac to do. Also, what is it about your Dell that leaves you pondering what life with a Mac would be like?

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Yeah i think, the most important question would be what are you going to use it for, but for the long run i would perhaps recommend you wait for new powermacs, then get the Dual 1.8 G5 at refurb, and you keep your 15' LCD to save cash.
But i really don't think you should get an iMac at the moment, they are quite outdated.
If you need portability then i would say go for the 15' Powerbook(the new version) I think that at the moment it is really attractive, if i had the money right now i reckon i would even get the 15' Powerbook.

VoTeZ

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
I'm looking to do typical word, internet, etc plus video editing and music

Also I do not want to buy something that in 6 months will be really outdated

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
EJBasile said:

The beauty of Macs is that in 6 months, they're not.
The average "life-span" of a Mac is far longer then thier PC counterpart.
Expect a good 3 or so years before you feel "really outdated"

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
EJBasile said:

The new eMac with the Superdrive would fit the bill for this list. (You could load it up with extra ram, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and still be at the $1500 mark or less (brand new).) So would the newly revamped iBooks and PowerBooks. Needless to say, so would the G5 PowerMacs, but you did mention a budget you'd like to keep.

The only machine I would wait to buy is the iMac. It's due for an update.

With respect to Macs in general, they live long and prosper. The PowerBook I had before the iBook I just bought was almost 6 years old and still keeping up with Mac OS X. Outdated, yes, but really outdated? Nope.

The new Macs are even better. So welcome to Apple. Let us know what you decide to buy.

That said, what's the story with your Dell? I've been thinking about getting a Dimension 2400 because I develop multimedia CDs and need a production/testing machine to ensure the CDs are cross-platform compatible. Consumer Reports gives the 2400 a very solid rating, but I've never used one.

Any perspective you could share is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.